Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PPro re-conforming my media upon project open...

Oct 15, 2012 12:32 PM

A few days after I updated to 6.0.2, PPro has started wanting to re-conforming the audio of all the .MTS footage in my project, which I have been working on for months with no issues (like this). This is particularly paralyzing because the project contains almost a hundred hours worth of .MTS clips, taking untold hours to re-conform.

It happened for the first time after I encountered a weird error (a few days after I installed 6.0.2) where upon opening my project, a single clip out of thousands was offline, then when I tried to re-link to the media, which was right where it was supposed to be, I got a File Import Failure "Importer reported a Generic Error" message... I deleted the individual Media Cache files associated with that clip, then was able to re-link to it.

Then the next time I re-opened my project, PPro wanted to re-conform everything... which I let it do for the next 18 hours, hoping that would be it.

Now it is trying to re-conform everything again!

Please help...

I can't imagine how deleting a couple individual .pek and .cfa could cause this, although clearly I am out of my depth with all this.

Not sure if this is related, but PPro has been taking ages to shut down since the 6.0.2 update (why oh why did I install that?!?!?), sometimes just freezing and requiring a force quit.

I'm using a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 2.53 Ghz Intel Core i5, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB with CUDA 5.0.36 installed...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to MarkL...

Go to Project Manager and consolidate the project with media files and select a new location. Let it create the new Project set and then open that project file. See if it does the same.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to MarkL...

This is happening for me as well. In my case it's with C300 footage - it takes a few minutes to re-conform every time I open the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to mikefromastoria

This all started a few days ago with that UPDATE that was supposed to be invisible to the user.. well it's also causing other errors on the timeline and audio playback problems. I've got what look like  //////////// on some of my clips now and they play just fine elsewhere but now on the timeline they have a hum or are now silent.   I've also see the misc errors like it can't read my .m2t footage and NEVER had this problem until this update from Adobe a few days.  Adobe.. what was that and how can we go back to the previous version???   MAJOR PROBLEM!!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to wws-svs

and if you double click on them to look/listen to them on the trim window the playhead is all the way left.. if you hit the goto in point the playhead stays on the start of the clip.   Even if you put a new 'in' point it still does not fix the problem.  

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to MarkL...

Yes, thats what it said.. the change would be invisible to the user... well not true.  I dont remember the name of what it was.. but i think it was some background driver file.  Maybe one of the nice Adobe folks can check to see what it was.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to MarkL...

I'm having the same problem. 

Started a new project yesterday.

Imported media directly from the Finder Window.

Everything conformed.

Compressed some sequences over night.

Switched edit rooms this morning.

Everything is re conforming.

PPro 6.0.2

Mac 10.6.8

Does anyone have a solution to this?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to MarkL...

I am having all of the same problems with Red footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to reverb

Someone from Adobe posted this on another thread in response to someone else facing the same re conform issues.

"To avoid conforming when moving files between computers make sure you have the following enabled:

-Write XMP ID to files on Import

-Save Media Cache files next to originals when possible

Both can be found in the media panel of preferences."

I'm trying it now.

What I don't understand is - if I create a new project and make sure the media preferences are correct (match the above), import a bunch of footage, let it conform, then switch to another computer, open the project that already conformed the media, isn't it going to re conform again if the settings on the new computer don't match the media preference settings on the old computer since it conforms automatically?  If it does, then what?  What conform files will it try to look at if I open the project back on the old computer?  Has premiere always been this way?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to DanDanDan

Sorry NO.. this is nonsense.  I'm using the same computer and loading the same projects.  This ONLY started happening a few days ago when

that update happened.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to wws-svs

wws-svs wrote:

Yes, thats what it said.. the change would be invisible to the user... well not true.  I dont remember the name of what it was.. but i think it was some background driver file.  Maybe one of the nice Adobe folks can check to see what it was.

Regarding some secret update: Nope. Nothing that I know of.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to MarkL...

MarkL... wrote:

A few days after I updated to 6.0.2, PPro has started wanting to re-conforming the audio of all the .MTS footage in my project, which I have been working on for months with no issues (like this). This is particularly paralyzing because the project contains almost a hundred hours worth of .MTS clips, taking untold hours to re-conform.

Previously I was also facing this situation

But after changing my preferences for Media cache files to save media cache files next to original.  My problem has been solved. try this for  premiere forum.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to MarkL...

I'm using a mid-2010 Macbook Pro

Wild guess here.  You running Time Machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to MarkL...

Oh well, took a shot.

Still, it's likely something on your Mac is changing the files in a way that causes PP to not see them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to MarkL...

Yes, it sure does.  This exact same problem happened on the dpsVelocityQ system as well just after the time change.

An easy test to make sure it was the problem... move your clock back to yesterday.  load project.. if the problem is solved

you know that the DST is the cause.

Best Wishes,

Wayland

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to MarkL...

Does my theory about Daylight savings and the Media Cache Database getting out of sync sound at all plausible to you?

Not directly, no.  In a decade of working with Adobe, it's never once happened to me.  So I'm still inclined to believe you have something running on your Mac that is changing the files somehow.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to MarkL...

The only idea I had you shot down - Time Machine.  I've seen others report issues using it, so I thought it might apply here, too.  I don't know what other software on a Mac might cause this behavior.  It doesn't happen on Windows, so I can only suggest talking to other Mac users.  If it happens across the board, then it's likely a Mac issue.  If not, find out what you have running that they don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Well guess what folks.  This exact thing is happening to me as well.  I just loaded a project that I was working on last week and with no other changes at all except for the time

my project is re-conforming my media.    So yeah, it's the time change causing this.. and I'm on CS6 / Windows / most recent cloud version.

Wayland

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to wws-svs

Well, that just means you two have to look for something in common.  Some form of backup software, antivirus, drive cloning, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

My Windows 7 Ultimate system Adobe CS6 Premiere Pro system has no backup software and no antivirus software.

It is a basic system.  Only CS6 on it.  I've been a beta tester for almost 20 years for many different companies and I

know how to track bugs down.  The original poster is correct this ONLY happens after a time change.  I remember it

doing this last year as well.

Premiere Pro CS6 is not without bugs.. the title program has a number of them that cause me no world of problems

as does the batch processing of the media encoder.  So, this should be added to the list for Adobe to look into.

Best Wishes,

Wayland

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to wws-svs

The original poster is correct this ONLY happens after a time change.

But why you and not me?  Why not every PP user?

There must be something on your two systems that most of us don't have.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Where are you at Jim?  Some states do not do the time change and/or perhaps your Win7 system is not set to change the date/time automatically.

I've loaded several projects created last week and they are all indexing the media again. 

I tried setting the date back just now to Saturday to do a double check but CS6/Cloud seems to have big problem with that and pops up this evil message

about account suspended with the date being wrong.  sheesh!  So, it will not let premiere or anything else load until you set the date back to 'today'.  So much

for checking that.

Wayland

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Could it be as simple as this?

time.PNG

I have my win7 clock set to auto-adjust for DST,

and I had an existing project run a re-conform on Monday.

Jim... do you use the auto-adjust for DST?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to wws-svs

Some states do not do the time change and/or perhaps your Win7 system is not set to change the date/time automatically.

Yes on both counts.   (Meaning my state has the change, and my computer does it automatically.)

Still...no reconform.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to MarkL...

I just experienced the same thing. I'm on an iMac. I tried to open the project file for a completed project that I had last opened 17 days ago. Premiere asked for the location an AE file that had been disconnected, although the file had not been moved or modified. Also, this project is connected to several other AE files in the same directory, but none of those got disconnected.

After selecting the file to reconnect, I got the disturbingly frequent “serious error” message and Premiere shut down. I tried to open the project a second time, and it again asked to reconnect the AE file. This time the project did open successfully, but Premiere began re-conforming another AE file that was no longer even linked to the project as well as all the footage from one of my camera sources (a GoPro).

With 17 days having passed, there are many variables, but I guess the switch to DST is one of them. None of the files had been touched. The footage is on an external hard drive that wouldn't even have been affected by any system processes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

Adobe did confirm it as a bug caused by the time change under certain conditions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points