Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories

Oct 15, 2012 3:51 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Community Help

I am not interested in albums, categories or othet crap. I only want to be able to use Organizer like I have always used Bridge.

So could someone tell me how to do THAT?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 11:07 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Albums are one way of Organizing your media.  If you don't want to use this, you can simply use the Folder location view. PSE 11 has improved folder location view which by defaults shows the managed folder as a list view and if you wish you can switch to tree view.

And in case you want to further organize your media you can apply Tags to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to SO_PSE

Thanks for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to SO_PSE

I on the other hand like albums, folders in a tree view, and tags.  But under 11, albums appear in the left panel only if folders are in list view (in which case many, many irrelevant folders are listed).  When I switch to tree view, albums disappear.  What am I missing?

It turns out on some further exploration that  many irrelevant folders were from iPhoto, which generates arbitrary long names for its folders - you'd think Microsoft had written it.  I imported everything after migrating to 11, because I was not finding things (the interface has changed too much from 10).  Deleting these folders from the Catalog (but not the disk) helped clear things up some, but there are also other large sets of unhelpful folders, and it is not apparent how to select more than one at a time for deletion from the catalog, so I've got a lot of manual one-by-one editing to do.  I would still prefer the Tree view - please let me know if there is some way I can show Albums and Tree view simultaneously - I don't see why they should be in conflict.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Community Help

I recently upgraded to elements 11. Where are my rating stars?  Part of my workflow consisted of uploading into organizer.... then rating the photos I wanted to include in my clients' edits.  I have the rating sort option... but when I am in organizer trying to star or rate the photos, I can't for the life of me find the simple command or stars to rate the picture... HELP!

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 12, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to PhotoGraces3

Select a thumbnail and use the numeric keypad e.g. 1 to add one star, 2 to add two stars etc.

Push the zoom slider to the right to enlarge thumbnails and show more information.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Community Help

New to Elements 11: Trying to collect photo's from my compute files, only get a listing in the left column and in the field a lot of thumb nails but no pictures.....says "can't find file" How do I get my library of pictures back???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to misquick

Don't use folder view. Use file>get photos>from files and folders. Or what kind of library do you mean? Are your pictures currently in another organizing program?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Tnx for the reply...I was originally using a software 3.2, then recently changed to Elements 10 now surprise a new 11 arrives. I upgraded and now have a large index of pictures along the right side of the catelog view with many many grey thumbnails whith question marks on the image. Clicking on them does nothing, they seem to desire that I seach for the file, which when found yields no picture.

I do not know what "Folder view" refers to.

misquick

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to misquick

a large index of pictures along the right side of the catelog view with many many grey thumbnails whith question marks on the image

File>Reconnect>All Missing Files

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Community Help

Just installed Photoshop elements 11 had 9 - now all my categories are gone?  Do I need to start organizing all over again?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Community Help

My photos ( over 50,000 of them) are in folders by month and subject, e.g. 2008-9(greece) describes Sept. '09.  In Windows 7 Explorer, 2008-10(rockies) is the next item, but in your new "My Folders" view, Oct. (month 10) follows

Jan. (Month 1). For me, this inconsistency limits what would otherwise be a useful new feature in Elements 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to lldphd

Hi,

It's an alphabetic sort so I think you need to pad your single digit months with leading zero (1 = 01).

That should correct the order.

1, 10, 2 becomes 01, 02,10

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Thanks, Brian.

Yes, that will work.  But I have 11 years so I would have to do it 99 times. Is there an easier way than rightclick + rename folder for each one?

Larry

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to lldphd

Hi Larry,

I'm afraid that I don't know of any quicker way to rename a folder.

Just make sure that you do it within Elements otherwise you will get the dreaded missing file message.

I suggest you do a few each evenig so that you don't get too click happy - the delete folder is very near the rename folder command.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:32 AM   in reply to Community Help

I am new to element 11 how do i transfer existing folders from my external hard drive

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 12, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Michael Hadley 1

If you want to leave the actual images on your external drive go to the Organizer menu and click:

File >> Get Photos & Videos >> From Files & Folders

You will need to keep the drive connected to view and edit photos.

Otherwise copy the images to your Pictures folder and use the above method.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to 99jon

Thanks Jon will have go

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Community Help

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know.  It was explained simply and effectively.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to Community Help

The Adobe TV does not work! Thank you, Dessies

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have a computer with a small amount of RAM and when I open up PSE 10 and go to Organiser it takes forever to open the 10000+ photos. I then use my keywords to search for  the specific photos I actually want. In PSE 11 is there a way I can go into organiser without it automatically displaying every one of my photos (which I keep on an external hard drive). If there is I will upgrade.   Thanks to anyone who can help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 7:32 PM   in reply to SaraMaree

Organizer does not "open the 10000+ photos". It doesn't open any of them.

If its taking too long, perhaps you need to optimize your catalog. File->Manage Catalogs then select the catalog of interest and click on Optimize.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/elementsorganizer/using/WSae2ea3b149d0c359 1ae939f103860b3d59-7f59_WIN.html#WSD395F130-4D22-4da0-8C61-A46BC0A7701 8_WIN

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 11:06 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Thanks dj. I did realise PSE does not actually "open" the photos but it still brings up each icon which takes a long time. I do have some photos in a different catalogue, but the 10,000 + are all family photos over several generations  and I want them all in the same catalogue so I can search through them all. I know my computer just can't ahndle this number at once (small amount of RAM) that's why I wondered if there was a way of opening Organiser without it showing icons for every photo. I will try the optimising as you suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj - I'm a new user. I thought the same thing as saramaree - that the photos "open." So that explains why, when I, say, rotate a photo in the organizer, when I go to use the photo as my photo on this forum, the photo is NOT rotated when I select that original file. So....

1. How do you save over the file?

2. How do you NOT save over the file and create another version (I did this once by mistake and can't figure it out now.)

3. What's the difference between a catalog and a photo album? Like SaraMaree, I have all 7500+ photos opening, because Elements automatically recognizes new photos. I've been taking digital photos for over 6 years. I have a LOT of photos and Elements runs like a DOG. It's storing things online (I've run out of space).

4. How to have it look at photos from my hard drive? What's wrong with using the hard drive?

Thank you!

Anne

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to MTNBIKEBODE

So, is it best to MOVE photos to an album to get them out of the "My Catalog"? My Catalog is the default catalog and that's what has over 7500 photos.

do you tag them before moving or after? or does it not matter?

I noticed (by accident) that when I edited a photo in a photo album, the "My Catalog" photo did not update.

btw, I'm using Elements 10. (11 came out about a month or two after I bought my version, and I haven't upgraded yet.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:06 PM   in reply to MTNBIKEBODE

I put my 10000+ photos in  folders on an external drive. They are in a "My Pictures" type folder in fsub olders according to whatever way you want to organise them . I have a folder for family with further sub folders for each year and within these folders there are frther folders for events as they occur eg birthdays, weddings. When I take my photos off my camera I just put them on the desktop then open them in PSE. In PSE I name them, give them keytags and categories etc then move them to the relevant folders on my external drive. So some photso may be put in a family folders where as other s might be put in a Hobbies folder.  This then does not use up space on my main computer.

Catalogues are not where you store your photos. They are like the old library drawers with lots of card in them catalogueing your photos . PSE can only search one catalogue at a time so I only have two catalogues; the main one with all my personal photos and a second ones with work photos. The photos are not actually in the catalogues just their icons. If you right click on a photo here and go to Properties it will show you which folder it is actually in. When I open my main catalogue icons for all my personal photos come up. These all have categories eg people, places, holidays, nature, animals etc attached to them. under these categories I have subcategories and keywords attached eg. names of family members, friends, places I have holdiayed at, pets etc. I use these keywords to search for a specific photo eg SARA at a WEDDING in BALLARAT. It took me  a while to get my head around catalogues, categories, keywords etc but there are some good tutorials on the net to help you. Now I find it a great system to find exactly the photo I want. I have also found it really useful when naming photos to put the year and month the photo was taken, in its name. Although PSE does show the date the photo was taken this is only visible when in PSE and does not work for photos I scan in.  So I may name a batch of photos 2012-02 Susie's wedding. It will automatuically give all these photos this name but number them from one upwatrds. This name will then be attached to the photo when it is in My Pictures folder so that no mattter what program I open the photo in I know exactly when it was taken and what it is. It also means that if I look at my photos in their folders (not in PSE) then they are arranged  by the date and are in chronological order. I learnt the hard way to not to name photos with the date  06, like I did with my father's old  photos as it then confused 1906 with 2006. I now put the full year.  This is a very brief overview of what took me ages to master and I changed my system several times before deciding this worked best for me.  If I find I have a lot of photos on the one topic I then add in a separate category or subcategory for this topic. eg I started with a category for animals then later made sub categories for wild animals, domestic animals and under domestic animals  keywords for pets, farm animals etc so I could narrow my search down more. I started off with a category for Weddings, under Events, but now I have separate sub catgories for family  and friends. Under the category People I had sub categories for family and friends. Now I have broken these down even further with the names of family members, and friends under school friends, work friends, and friends from differnts sporting clubs I have belonged to. As my sporting photos have grown I have also made sub categories for each of these sports under teh category SPORT.

I hope this  helps a bit and doesn't add more confusion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 4:31 AM   in reply to SaraMaree

There are a gazillion different ways to Organize. SaraMaree has a system that works for her. My system is much simpler: I add appropriate tags to all of my photos, and optionally captions and notes. I do not move photos from one folder to another or rename my photos. That works for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hello - I have just purchased PSE 11. I am really struggling as I have never used this kind of program before. So I have some really dumb but critical questions:

-- I have about 2000 pictures which were archived in the Canon EOS Utility program that came with my 600D. I don't like this system. I have now downloaded all the pictures in my camera directly into PSE Organiser. The pictures are all in folders listed by date the pictures were taken. Are they now safely housed in the PSE program? Can I delete the old Canon programs, which are still sitting on my Mac? And if I want to back up on an external hard-drive, how do I do that? Just drag the whole lot across?

-- Sometimes when I've used 'Smart Fix" or other tools in the Photo Fix toolbox, I'm not happy with the result. But how can I 'undo' a fix and revert to how it was before?

-- I want to create an album "Europe 2012", and within it categories for UK, France, Italy etc. But although I hit 'create album category' when Europe 2012 is highlighted, the category just attaches to the last listed album - something completely unrelated. How do I ensure categories are within the correct albums?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to JoC1965

I have now downloaded all the pictures in my camera directly into PSE Organiser. The pictures are all in folders listed by date the pictures were taken. Are they now safely housed in the PSE program?

PSE does not contain your photos. The photos are on your hard disk(s) somewhere, wherever they were put when they were moved from the camera to the hard disk (might be the default location chosen by PSE).

Can I delete the old Canon programs, which are still sitting on my Mac?

Yes

And if I want to back up on an external hard-drive, how do I do that? Just drag the whole lot across?

Your interest in making backups is to be commended.

There are many ways to make backups, including the way you just suggested. You can also create a backup using PSE (which I recommend) since a backup created by PSE includes the photos and the very important catalog file. In PSE, File->Backup Catalog, and set the destination of the backup to your external HD. Remember to do this regularly.

Sometimes when I've used 'Smart Fix" or other tools in the Photo Fix toolbox, I'm not happy with the result. But how can I 'undo' a fix and revert to how it was before?

PSE should create a version set when you do any editing, including the Smart Fix. Thus, you just need to expand the version set (right-click on the photo) to see both the original and the Smart Fix. Then you can delete the Smart Fix version.

-- I want to create an album "Europe 2012", and within it categories for UK, France, Italy etc. But although I hit 'create album category' when Europe 2012 is highlighted, the category just attaches to the last listed album - something completely unrelated. How do I ensure categories are within the correct albums?

I'm going to strongly recommend you don't do this via albums (unless your intent is to share the contents of the albums online somehow, in which case you could use Albums for that -- but I still recommend against using albums for general organizing). I recommend you use categories and tags (which for simplicity, I refer to as simply "tags") instead of albums for this purpose. You can create a tag called Europe under Places, and another tag under Europe called France, and so on. I would also recommend you not bother including year or other calendar information in the tag (or album) names. You want "Europe" as your tag, not "Europe 2012". Why? Because you can always segregate by year (or other calendar time period) using the PSE Timeline; there's no need to do extra work to segregate the tags by year (or other calendar time period).

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I share your problem with this software.......I over several years used a simple to use Adobe Photo product which was cast off by Adobe....

Now this.....as I understand your plight....PSE is a software not a storage site.....it holds no picture digital data, the "real" picture data is held on your hard drive until you send it to a storage site somewhere else . In your case when you download the pictures from your old computer using your new computer and PSE software (catalog, get pictures) it will retrieve the pictures from the old site (I believe it copies them, leaving the old computer with it original digital picture, and places it in your new hard drive. Most serious photo collectors chose to use an external drive for storing large Mega bite anything....pictures fall into this category by doing this you preserve precious hard drive space.

Adobe has been pushing Revel or something like this .....which will automatically on taking your picture with I phone or what ever download the new picture to a cloud storage facility....my guess is the will offer a small free trial then present a charge for a large number of photos.

The use of tags rather then the older procedure will simplify your life involving.

I offer this not having much in the way of photo software knowledge.

djr

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to JoC1965

I definitely would not delete them as PSE ony is an icon that is a link to where the original photo is stored.

If you have already imported them into PSE it probably will not do it again as it will recognise they are the same photos.

While in PSE you need to select all these photos then go to EDIT and delete them from the catalogue (NOT from the hard drive)

Not in PSE ...Put all your folders in  MY Pictures under My computer. Import them from there into PSE then you can delete your Canon catalogue. PSE remembers where you imported the photos from and this is where it goes to get the original if you want to work on it, print it etc.  So you need to import the photos into PSE from where they will be permanently stored.  Remember what shows in PSE is only a link although it does look like the real photo.

Good luck

Joan

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I always learn so much by everyone's postings and your response. Thanks much!

Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 08:23:30 -0700

To: mtnbikebode@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories

Re: Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

I have now downloaded all the pictures in my camera directly into PSE Organiser. The pictures are all in folders listed by date the pictures were taken. Are they now safely housed in the PSE program?

PSE does not contain your photos. The photos are on your hard disk(s) somewhere, wherever they were put when they were moved from the camera to the hard disk (might be the default location chosen by PSE).

Can I delete the old Canon programs, which are still sitting on my Mac?

Yes

And if I want to back up on an external hard-drive, how do I do that? Just drag the whole lot across?

Your interest in making backups is to be commended.

There are many ways to make backups, including the way you just suggested. You can also create a backup using PSE (which I recommend) since it includes the photos and the very important catalog file. In PSE, File->Backup Catalog, and set the destination of the backup to your external HD. Remember to do this regularly.

Sometimes when I've used 'Smart Fix" or other tools in the Photo Fix toolbox, I'm not happy with the result. But how can I 'undo' a fix and revert to how it was before?

PSE should create a version set when you do any editing, including the Smart Fix. Thus, you just need to expand the version set (right-click on the photo) to see both the original and the Smart Fix. Then you can delete the Smart Fix version.

I'm going to strongly recommend you don't do this via albums (unless your intent is to share the contents of the albums online somehow, in which case use Albums). I recommend you use tags instead of albums for this purpose. You can create a tag called Europe under Places, and another tag under Europe called France. I would also recommend you not bother including year or other calendar information in the tag (or album) names. You want "Europe" as your tag, not "Europe 2012". Why? Because you can always segregate by year (or other calendar time period) using the PSE Timeline; there's no need to do extra work to segregate the tags by year (or other calendar time period).

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5329550#5329550

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Photoshop Elements Help | Organize your photos in albums and album categories. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have upgraded to 11...how do I transfer all tags/files from the Photoshop 6?

Thanks!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to Community Help

Have been searching the site in vain for this answer. This FAQ looks a close to anything as I've found so far. I am using the search function to add all the pics on my MBP into Organizer.  I don't need to bloat the database with all my MP3s & AAC files, so I'd like to exclude audio files.  Is there a way to set Organizer to ONLY import pics?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to OkieMacPS

When you are using the downloader to 'Get photos or videos from card reader or camera', you get the downloader dialog. Choose advanced dialog (button on the bottom left).

Just over the thumbnails, you have several icons which let you select separately pictures, videos or audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

Thanks. But I am trying to import all pics from the hard drive on my MacBookPro. I don't see those options using the search function and I don't see the option to search the HD to find files when using 'Get photos or videos from card reader...".  Am I overlooking something?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to OkieMacPS

When you are using the option to import pics from the hard drive, the options I mentionned are not available, which is a pity.

It's easy to select either audio or video files once they are in the catalog via the menu Find / by media type. Then you can choose either to hide or to delete categories. I agree that's far from a smart way to do what you want.

I have posted a feature request:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/pse_option_to_fi lter_import_by_media_type_from_files_or_folders?rfm=1

Add your vote...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points