Skip navigation
tmsimont
Currently Being Moderated

How to export a flash project with a changing frame rate to a video

Oct 16, 2012 6:57 AM

Tags: #flash #export #flash_cs5 #movie #framerate

I have a Flash project that is a series of roughly 1000 images.  The result of the images is a simple animation, and there is music imported on a separate layer.

There are moments in the music that I wanted to line up with certain frame changes, and there are sections of the music that I wanted to match up with a faster (double-time) frame rate.

I used this code in several places in the a code layer:

stage.frameRate = x;

The result is exactly what I want in SWF -- the animation speeds up and slows down at the exact right moments to match up with the music track, but it seems like it's just not possible to export this variable frame rate project to a video file?

According to the accepted answer on this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4019538, it seems that:

The export function in Flash Pro doesn't transcribe *frames*, rather it plays the Flash animation and records it like a camcorder

If that's true, then I would think there is a way to record a variable frame rate project into a video -- does anybody know if this is possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to tmsimont

You'll have to produce a SWF and then convert that into a video. The Flash File->Export->Export Movie does not handle scripting.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to tmsimont

I just edited the post and added a link to something I've used before. It's a sophisticated thing to do so you'll have to try it and see how it works for you. There are many other converters if you google "SWF to video". The general idea is yes, it will play the SWF and record it like a screen recording, with audio. Therefore your scripts work and the end result is as expected. You may need some touch-up post video work to perfect it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to tmsimont

Scripting isn't supported in the basic video export functionality.

What I was suggesting with the initial link and video post work is to export the audio separate and merge the video produced with the audio in a video editor. That'd give you fine grain control to assure it lines up perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to tmsimont

That or Premiere would both get the job done. After Effects might be more desirable as it has a feature called Time Remapping (right-click on the video layer, Time->Enable Time Remapping). You can add keyframes to any point in a video and then drag them around to speed up or slow down the video. That'll allow for very precise tweaks.

Finally all I'd suggest is when you jump into your next project, make a quick dummy test project to see if the software you're using is easily capable of producing what you want. It'll solve the headache of completing the project only to land where you are now. Now you know Flash won't play nicely with scripts and Export Movie. If your desired end result was always a video I'd probably use video editing software to make the video. There's some free stuff out there if you really look, but no, it won't be as nice as After Effects or Premiere by any stretch. Although when you see how amazing After Effects is, you'll probably want to buy it .

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to tmsimont

If you import a swf into flash it makes a huge string of keyframes but I'm not sure how scripts or audio work. tv.adobe.com has tons of videos on after effects if you want to give it another shot.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points