Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image Corrupted After Import into LR4?

Oct 16, 2012 9:13 AM

Corrupted.JPG

Several times now I've imported images into LR4 from my External HD and and a few the files are corrupted. (See attached image)

I realize that LR is not suppose to do anything to the files on the disk when importing... but I've checked the RAW images from back-ups and they are not corrupted prior to import into LR. AFTER import into LR the actual file (on the external HD) IS corrupted in both LR and then on the External HD.

My workflow has been to copy files from my CF  Card to the External HD (Western Digital 3 TB) ino the appropriate file... then go to LR4 and import.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?  I replaced the Card Reader... same problem occurs.  I've checked numerous RAW files in Bridge... none are shown as corrupted (prior to LR4 import)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 16, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to soloalpinist

Could be a failing hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to soloalpinist

Yep - this problem has the signature of a hardware failure alright. If OK in-camera, then problem occurred downstream..., if OK in software that just displays the embedded preview, then problem is in the raw data... It's possible that a bug in Lightroom is at the root, but highly unlikely... - I certainly do not know for sure...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

It's possible that a bug in Lightroom is at the root, but highly unlikely... - I certainly do not know for sure...

Just to be clear, if you are talking about proprietary raw files (as apposed to DNG, JPEG, TIFF or PSD files) there is zero chance that Lightroom could corrupt a raw file since LR treats the raw file as Read Only. The odds are that the raw data was corrupted either in camera, upon copying or on the HD. Merely looking at the image previews doesn't tell you whether or not the raw data is intact. You must open the image in Camera Raw or the Develop module of LR to confirm the validity of the raw data.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Yeah - zero chance if there are no bugs; highly unlikely that even a bug would be causing it...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to soloalpinist

soloalpinist wrote:

To Jeff.... I have opened the image in photoshop camera raw prior to importing to Lightroom and it was not corrupted...

Then something has happened to the file on the hard drive...I hope you have multiple backups and I would take a long hard look at replacing that drive. I've had corrput files from the camera, from the card reader but I've never had a file corrupted by LR. It's simply not built to impact raw files. The file got corrupted, for sure...but the hints so far indicate the HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to soloalpinist

Sorry about my english very poor.

I had the same problem during the work flow in LR on two different external hard disk and same images.

2 months ago, I brought back a few thousand images from Peru. Each day, I copied the Canon 5d raw images to a portable hard drive. When we got home I imported the contents of that folder using Copy into a new portable hard disk. All the images were perfect since 2 days ago, during a development in LR i noticed that several of the images were corrupted, become corrupted, in few second many images (87) were corrupted one at one till i turn off LR. Were corrupted the same images on every two portable hard drive but were perfect since two days ago.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Franco

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to erosnemo

@erosnemo - thanks for raising this, I have just experienced the exact same problem. I have a bunch of images on an external hard drive, all other images are fine except one. I was editing the image in question in LR when suddenly the image was corrupted. It was fine in Library but not in Develop.

I checked the file on the HD and it was fine, opened it in ACR and no problems there either. Deleted the image from LR to re-import and while the source file was fine the image came back into LR corrupted in both Library AND Develop. Now the image is corrupt on the HD as well. All other images in the same folder and others are fine, just this one.

I HAS to be something to do with LR. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to GlobalTrader

The raw image data in the file is corrupted, but LR is probably not doing it, it is merely showing the corruption, because in Develop, it needs to re-render from the raw data every time, whereas in Library there is a stored preview that is only being retrieved from the preview cache from when the image was imported, at least until settings are changed and the preview is rebuilt.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks ssprengel - that makes sense. How does this explain the sudden corruption of just one image though? I was literally in the process of editing in LR, I switched to go to another task and the image was digitally streaked like the example at the top of this discussion. No other intervention or activity, just damaged. No other image in the file set, folder or other folders is displaying the same problem?

Also - is there any way to recover/repair the CR2 file? I have been reading for hours on this and despite many threads/forums showing people with the same problem, no-one seems to know if there is a solution...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 5:45 PM   in reply to GlobalTrader

The corruption may or may not be “sudden”.  If things look ok in Library then it happened sometime between initial preview building during import and you’re viewing the image in Develop.   If the last place things looked ok was in the Import thumbnail grid, then that is only showing the camera-embedded previews, so the images may be corrupted on the card, already. 

The most important thing is to determine what the problem is, where the corruption comes from, so you can fix it.  It could be the camera, the card, the camera-to-computer USB cable, the card-reader, the usb-slot, the computer-memory, the computer hard-drive, the USB-drivers, LR, itself, or some other software, like Microsoft Security Essentials has caused problems for some people in the past, although why is not really understood. 

If the corruption is still occurring with the latest images, then you can experiment by changing one or more of the components mention above, and see if things are ok or still corrupted.

As far as recovery, if part of the image data is missing or zeroed out overwritten with random junk, there’s no way to get that bad data, back, from the existing file because the files, themselves, only have one copy of the data.

The three things I can think of to suggest are:

1)      If the preview in Library doesn’t show the corruption then there are ways to retrieve the previews from the LR preview cache as JPGs.  This isn’t the same as the RAW data, but is better than nothing.

2)      If the camera-embedded preview has not been damaged—it is typically stored in front of the raw data so depending on where the damage is, it could be intact, then there are ways to extract the camera-embedded preview from the raw file, which again is better than nothing.

3)      The best thing is if you have a backup of the images that don’t show the corruption, either because the images are still on the card, or because you made a backup during import and the corruption happened sometime after import, then you could copy those over the top of the corrupted files and be ok.

These things may or may not be possible depending on your situation, though.  If you don’t have any backups that are ok, and LR’s previews are bad, and the in-camera preview is tiny or also damaged, then you’ll entirely out of luck for those images.  And things maybe really bad if it’s the hard-drive that’s failing and you have no backups of your images, there, either.  It is important to determine what is wrong, and with the least effect on the images that are still good.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to GlobalTrader

GlobalTrader wrote:

no-one seems to know if there is a solution...

There is no solution (once the file has gone bad), other than recovering from backup (although I just read ssprengel's response above which includes some great suggestions for image recovery). This is true of any computer file, not just raw photos.

Note: if raw data is getting corrupted, it's worth finding out why / fixing the problem - assuming it's not Lightroom (which it probably isn't), then trouble-shooting 101: narrow down the offending hardware and replace.

If it is Lightroom (highly unlikely), my guess is that it will be fixed silently at some point in the future - without a whisper by Adobe, and without any users ever being sure what was happening, or when it got fixed...

For emphasis: if the file went bad just sitting on the hard drive - you probably have a failing hard drive: check immediately and consider replacing soon.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

If it is Lightroom (highly unlikely), my guess is that it will be fixed silently at some point in the future - without a whisper by Adobe, and without any users ever being sure what was happening, or when it got fixed...

Rob, come on bud...you know how LR works...how could LR corrupt a raw file? The ONLY time LR can EVER write to an actual raw file is by changing the date/time of capture and telling LR to write it into the raw file. In every other case, LR does not write to a raw file, so LR can't corrupt a raw file. Corruption of a file on an HD that had at one point opened indicates that the corruption occurred due to the HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to soloalpinist

In case I still haven't been clear about this:

I believe it is *HIGHLY* unlikely that Lightroom is causing this problem (because it has been programmed not to alter raw files, except when commanded to change capture time).

It is *NOT* however, impossible - unusual bugs can sometimes be responsible for unexpected behavior.

Summary: Best to assume Lightroom is *NOT* causing this problem, since almost surely: it is not.

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:55 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

It is *NOT* however, impossible - unusual bugs can sometimes be responsible for unexpected behavior.

It is disingenuous to say:

"...my guess is that it will be fixed silently at some point in the future - without a whisper by Adobe, and without any users ever being sure what was happening, or when it got fixed..."

Any data loss would be considered a major thing by Adobe. To imply that Adobe would simply "fix it" silently is wrong...and you know that. To say anything else is a show of disrespect to the engineers and product management.

Look, I feel for folks that end up having corrupted files...I think it's a duty to tell them that somewhere, hardware has caused the image corruption-either the camera/card (somewhat likely), the copy from card to HD (likely) or on the HD (also likely). Corrpution caused by LR? Nearly impossible (read: it ain't LR causing the corruption). To even hint that LR can cause corruption is a disservice to people looking for help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to soloalpinist

I stand by my comments, when taken in context - please forgive my style, if it offends.

PS - In the unlikely event this problem is being caused by a rarely-occurring bug in Lightroom, I bet Adobe would be happy enough not to say anything after fixing. What? - you think they'd publicize it, and offer a formal apology or something? - right. - I've got a bridge in the desert I wanna sell ya...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

PS - In the unlikely event this problem is being caused by a rarely-occurring bug in Lightroom, I bet Adobe would be happy enough not to say anything after fixing. What? - you think they'd publicize it, and offer a formal apology or something? - right. - I've got a bridge in the desert I wanna sell ya...

For the times that ACR/LR introduced ANY sort of major issue, every case resulted in a subsequent .1 release...such as in the case of ACR 6.4.1.

Rob Cole wrote:

What? - you think they'd publicize it, and offer a formal apology or something? - right. - I've got a bridge in the desert I wanna sell ya...

Yeah, if the ACR/LR engineers screwed up, yes, I do think the engineers would own up...I recall Eric Chan accepting responcibility for screwing up a Leica raw processing (not sure what version but it prompted a .1 release and as I remember, it was an M-9 raw file).

Again, I think it's simply wrong headed to offer any sort of hope to a user that LR is to blame for corrupting their files...it's wrong (and you know it).

If you, as a user, have a corrupted raw file, you need to look at hardware based problems, not LR (do you really disagree Rob)?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to soloalpinist

soloalpinist wrote:

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4778422-243678/Corrupted.JPG

soloalpinist wrote:

/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4778422-243678/Corrupted.JPG

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?  I replaced the Card Reader... same problem occurs.  I've checked numerous RAW files in Bridge... none are shown as corrupted (prior to LR4 import)

Surely the test as to where the corruption is occurring will be shown if you use the manufacturers own raw software to open and process your files. You should have got it with your camera. If the files open and can be processed with that software, then the problem might indeed be with LR, but if the Canon software can't process the files, then it is the card, card reader, HDD, or connections that are at fault.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Speaking for myself, I measure my respect for a company or an individual not by the absence of any publicised problems, but instead by a clear audit-trail of problems publicly acknowledged and addressed. The smaller we see these problems to be, and the more case-specific they are, the better our impression that someone is  paying close attention to detail... even if the outcome sometimes is: this particular user cannot be satisfied in this particular respect. 

Responses such as

• "we don't have a fix for that at the moment" ,
    • "we can't duplicate your problem, more details please"
    • "your problems arise from using the product in a way which works against, rather than in accordance with, its design"
    • "this particular program is never going to do exactly what you ask for"
    • "your problem very likely lies elsewhere, and here is the reason why "
    • "you have not yet described the problem in a way that makes specific sense to us"

do not  fix the immediate problem concerned and to a person who is concentrating on a particular blame theory, may feel like evasion.

But: leading with a buried conclusion (such as, "why has LR broken my image?"), is like the patient demanding medical treatment before there has been a diagnosis.

So rather than being unhelpful, IMO such kinds of response evidence MORE respect and helpfulness toward the customer, than would either silence, or some vaguely comforting brushoff pre-approved by the marketing department.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to bob frost

Not yet mentioned I think: hard drive problems of whatever kind might introduce corruption not only into the file contents for a given image, but also AFAICT into: its entry in the catalog ; its LR-saved preview image ; its entry in the ACR processing cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks ssprengel - really appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Good news, I downloaded a piece of recovery software last night and was able to recover the original CR2 file from the memory card. Very suprising when this card has been reformatted multiple times since.

Based on the multiple references to HDD errors in the threads I have been reading on this topic I'm also going to backup this particular drive asap.

Thanks again to you and others that commented here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob - many thanks for your comments and the candid stance! Much apreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:20 AM   in reply to GlobalTrader

Hi GlobalTrader,

It sounds like you are on the right track now. The card recovery software is pretty amazing, and is one of the reasons I maintain the initial camera image number in my import file re-naming scheme - just in case I need to go back to the card, so I know which file to look for.

Lots of problems with Lightroom performance and reliability have been solved by installation of a new hard drive - not just raw data errors.

In some ways, it's pretty simple: if image looks OK in camera, but not on disk after initial transfer, problem is usually in the transfer hardware (e.g. ports, cables, readers, or card). If image looks OK initially, on disk, *AFTER* initial preview has been replaced by a rendering of the raw data, and then later the image file is corrupt, then the problem is usually the hard disk. Also, ram failure can be a culprit.

So if known good files are going bad, do these things immediately:

* check your hard disk.

* test your ram.

PS - I try to be honest .

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to soloalpinist

I have pretty much the exact same setup (using LR with MyBook Live drive) as you and have encounted the same corruption problem. I would just like to know if you were able to resolve the issue?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points