Skip navigation
flamasterq
Currently Being Moderated

The nearest neighbor interpolation problem

Oct 17, 2012 2:33 AM

Tags: #photoshop #error #issue #image #cs6 #interpolation #nearest_neighbor #nearest #neighbor

Hello,

After my Photoshop CS6 update I have problem with the Nearest Neighbor interpolation. It was working correctly before. I was setting the General and Free Transform preferences first and rotating pictures by 45 degrees then. It was always giving me pixel-perfect results in PS CS6. Now that stopped working. Am I missing something? I have made video showing my results and all the steps I am making:

How about you? What your results are after rotating any picture by 45 degrees in the Nearest Neighbor interpolation mode? I would be happy to know what is wrong now and how to achieve good results. I will appreciate any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to flamasterq

Interesting.

I can reproduce the issue that horizontal and vertical borders rotated by 45˚ appear quite differently with Nearest Neighbor and have so far found no way to rectify it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to flamasterq

What your results are after rotating any picture by 45 degrees in the Nearest Neighbor interpolation mode?

The same mess with Ps 13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

Very interesting that the Free Transform looks good until it is actually commited.

I don't know whether it was different in 13.0

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to conroy

Well, it seems Nearest Neighbor in Photoshop CS5 (12.0.4) provides the same or similar bad results.

I think the term »bad« is justified in this case because considerably different results (aside from the axis) for a 45˚ and a -45˚ rotation seem unexpected and undesirable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points