Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing PDF file into CS6

Oct 17, 2012 10:44 AM

Tags: #indesign_trial

Hello,

I am using the trial version of CS6 to see if this software would work best for what our company would like to accomplish. I currently have a pdf file that contains a parts book I would like to convert into a digital publication but I can not seem to figure out how to do so. I am using this book as our test to see the ease of use and overall quality of the software. Any suggestions on how to import my file into CS6?

Thank you in advance.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 17, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to Jen T.

Use the import multipage PDF script but honestly, there is no way you’re going to be able to evaluate the suitability of InDesign in 30 days with zero experience.

And you can’t just place a PDF and create an app out of it. Apple will reject it immediately.

I strongly suggest that you back up and give us thorough explanation of what you hope to accomplish here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to Jen T.

What software created the parts manual to begin with? Are the original file(s) available?

take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Jen T.

The end result is we are looking for a software that we can use to create digital copies of everything from Employee handbooks to Sales Binders.

That is a fine idea.

Does that help? I need a software where we can not only design new pages but also import in pages that already exsist.

If the pages that already exist are only available to you in PDF format, then you have a rough slog ahead of you. I'd go so far as to call your project Nigh Impossible.  However, if you can get your hands on the source files from which those PDFs were generated, then it becomes Kinda Possible. So, like Mike, I'd want to ask first whether or not those source files were available to you, and what format they were made in.

I'd also like to repeat Bob's point that you cannot become enough of an expert in InDesign to know whether or not it would be a suitable product for your project in thirty days - unless you were already experienced in something like Quark or Ventura.

Lastly: what the heck do you mean by "digital publication"?  Do you just mean "a file"? I guess so, since you are comparing against printed binders. But it's hard to tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Jen T.

The learning curve for InDesign is awful steep. It is not easy to use competently.

If you are already a competent user of Office, then I wonder if you wouldn't be best served by just managing your documents in Office, creating PDFs from Word and Excel, adding some interactivity after the fact with Acrobat, et cetera. However, I can think of a number of "perks" (like tables of contents that are clickable hyperlinks) that are easy to create and manage in InDesign but hard to handle in Word (or impossible in Excel) that would make ID a good choice for you, if you were willing to try to scale that learning curve.

Can you tell us about some of the "perks" you want?

Also, to aid you in your evaluation of InDesign, I'd suggest trying to place your Excel files directly into InDesign, and not trying to do Excel -> PDF -> InDesign. If you check the "Import Options" button when placing your Excel file, you'll see some useful tools for getting Excel content into ID (like being able to import specific cell ranges). It will wind up inserting your Excel content in an InDesign table - a method that has limitations, but it would be useful for you to play around with it to get a feel for how ID handles tabular content.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Jen T.

First, what's wrong with just putting the PDF on the server for the sales staff? You can update it as required as easily as any other potential workflow I can think of.

Second, if you don't want to make the PDF from Excel, you can import (and link, if you like, so it will update automatically) your spreadsheet into ID and make your PDFs from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Jen T.

I strongly disagree. You ARE NOT the perfect tester. InDesign is a professional level application that you will never learn to use without some kind of training. A perfect tester would be someone moving from Quark or even Pagemaker.

What you’re doing is very much like going from a tricycle to a Harley.

I’m not trying to discourage you from learning but at the very least you’ll need a good book ( I recommend this one: http://amzn.to/ORQqtT ) and a subscription to Lynda.com (this link will get a you free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI ).

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to Jen T.

If you simply want to import additional pages of a PDF into ID, when you Command+D (place), you need to select and option down there on teh left called "show import options." That allows you to choose which pages you want to import. The worst news is that you have to do it 55 times.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to DanielMontgomery

DanielMontgomery wrote:

The worst news is that you have to do it 55 times.

Not at all. Using the standard Place dialog you have to click for each page you select, but if you want all the pages, the script Bob mentioned (which is installed with ID) will automate the task, and an even better script by Scott Zanelli can be found at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files. Scots's script allows you pick a subrange of pages (though they need to be continuous), as wll as specify scaling, positioning, and rotation.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Jen T.

Jen,

I've cleaned up your posts to remove your personal information. Would you please delete that stuff before hitting send when you reply by email. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Jen T.

Perks: The page flip, of course.

Ugh...the Comic Sans of alleged interactivity. Nothing personal, and I know this adds no value, but that's one novelty whose death can't come soon enough for me. Enjoy it while you can, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter, that's fantastic news! I did not know that! I should check the forums more often. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I've tried installing this a number of times on my mac and, although it states its for both operating systems I can't install on Mac Osx 10.8.2. Any suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to helpDD

I presume you mean Scott Zanelli's script. Do you know how to install scripts? Are you tring to install the script version for your version of ID (the wrong version ought to install, but probably will generate an error when you try to run it).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I don't know how to install scripts. When I open it looks something like HTML page. Can you help?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to helpDD

yes I mean Scott Anellis script. I know its only for CS3 and I'm running CS6 but I figured I could import to CS3 then re-save in the latest version and make my changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to helpDD

There are several links on that page for differnt versions of the script. The latest is the CS5 version, and it still works in CS6.

See How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets for help with installing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm able to coply and place in the scripts folder but when I go to run the program the little blue wheel on bottom r. just keeps spinning. Spun for a good 2 hrs. last night before I finally gave up and turned it off. Its a jsx file which should work on my OS but does not seem to be the case.

Thanks anyway for your help

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to helpDD

Also, as an FYI even though I downloaded the most recent version (for CS5) it still gave me error msg. "only works with CS3 or later". hmmmm

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to helpDD

The download is a .zip file. Did you de-compress it before putting it intothe scripts panel folder?

I know it works -- I use it all the time...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The one I downloaded was actually a .jsx file, but a previous version was .zip so I threw it into the stuff it expander (free version) which gives the error "does not recognize .jsx". When open with AppleScript Editor I get the syntax error A "/ " cant go here.

Are you working on a PC platform? It seems as though this works much more seamlessly for PC users.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to helpDD

I am on PC, but that shouldn't really matter. I share zipped files back and forth with mac users every day. And you don't need Stuffit to expand it -- Macs have a built-in expander for zip files. Just double click the zipped file. Possibly you actually decompressed it before you tried to put it into the Stuffit Exander. If the extension is .jsx it's already decompressed....

And .jsx is a javascript file, not applescript. Completely different language.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to helpDD

To open the correct folder for the Script, right click your User Script icon and choose Reveal in Finder as shown

Stuffit Expander is about as necessary as WinZip - obsolete. Your Mac's OS must be able to decompress a folder. Try a right click on that, or change the File Assocoiation for zip/compressed files. (cmd + i )

scripts folder ss.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry  I meant to say ExtendScript Toolkit. I did not think decompression was the issue but you had suggested to decompress earlier in the thread. Still unclar as to why I can't utilize script. I placed in script folder and right clck to "view in finder" but this is all I can see. Not obvious but there is a blue circle that keeps spinning on bottom R. of left screen.Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 4.52.03 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to helpDD

And that's because it can't find the objects referred to in the highlighted line. Where is the PDF coming from?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

A folder on my hard drive...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to helpDD

That's the right script. How are your trying to run the script? You should be running it from the scripts panel in ID, not from within the Extendscript ToolKit.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to helpDD

I've tried (several times) to place the doc. while the script is running but to no avail

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

yes, from scripts panel in ID

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to helpDD

Do you get the dialog with the import options when you run the script? If you do, waht have you chosen for the crop option? Not all PDFs have all of the options available,and I'm not sure waht the script will do if the chosen option is not valid.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's balking at that very point. My question about where the PDF is coming from refers to what application made the PDF?

You don't place the doc; the script does it for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

No, I don't get the dialogue box at all. I've opened script within the ID doc. I'm trying to place the pdf into using windows>utilities>scripts, right clicked to open in finder, pressed the "play" button then gone back into  ID,  chose file>place and it only places that first page. Just as if I'd done it the traditional way. ????

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to helpDD

No. Open the scripts panel and double click on the name of the script to run it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I'm not sure what app. made the doc. It was handed to me by a client who is also not sure...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Double clicking on it simply pulls up the two panels I posted earlier in this thread (see above)

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points