Skip navigation
dagardner105
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Edit a Form in Adobe Acrobat Pro Xi - use Livecycle

Oct 18, 2012 4:33 AM

Tags: #error #forms #fillable #acrobat-pro

Hi all,

I was advised to buy Adobe Pro XI yesterday by the Direct Sales Adobe team because it includes "everything I need" to create and EDIT PDF forms.  I actually rang up to buy X but was told it was now XI.

I tried to edit a form today and got this message:

"this form cannot be edited in Acrobat. Please use Adobe Livecycle Designer to edit this form"

I was told this was included in Pro but can't get past this message.  I previously had a trial of Adobe Pro X and WAS able to edit this very form.

It is very frustrating.  I cannot edit anything I have been working on.

FormsCentral seems too basic as I need to be able to edit the field name in the properties of the field.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to dagardner105

LiveCycle Designer used to be included as a part of Acrobat Pro, but that

is no longer the case with Acrobat XI. You'll need to purchase it

separately if you wish to edit LC PDF forms... Of course, you can still

create PDF forms in Acrobat itself, but since the two types of forms are

not compatible, you can't edit forms that were created in LC using Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to dagardner105

George Johnson replied to a question I had about this very issue a couple

of weeks ago and said you can purchase it for $29 (

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4740721#4740721)... The only thing I could

find on the website was Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES3, and that costs

$300... (the webpage is not working at the moment, but that's the price I

saw a moment ago when I clicked the Buy Now button, here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/designer/)

Maybe he can help clear up this situation...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

George's statement about the price of LiveCycle Designer was for the upgrade price (converting LCD ES2 to LCD ES3). The full retail price of LCD ES3 is USD $299.

Acrobat X Pro and Acrobat X Suite customers who upgrade to Acrobat XI Pro are also eligible for a free upgrade to LCD ES3.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

I am having the same issues I use both the Acrobat X I got LiveCycle with my Acrobat Pro 9 licence together.. It was was working with X. Now I installed the XI upgrade and it deleted my LiveCycle install completely?  How do I go about this free upgrade.  I can not be spending all this on products I use only occasionaly The "very basic" Acrobat forms are fine for my every day work but I depend on Livecycle for the more complex stuff.

Please advise or share a link to the free upgrade. I can not fine it however I have downloaded a 60 day trial I have yet to install of ES3.  Funny the download was from an old Macromedia server URL.

|
    Mark as:
  • DimitriM
    172 posts
    Dec 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Donbear

Hi Donbear,

On the FAQ page ( http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/faq.html ) under General there is a blurb about who is eligible for the free LCD upgrade and a link (free upgrade) to a Customer Support form.  I guess you will have to complete that form and see who gets back to you.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

WindJack Solutions

www.pdfscripting.com

www.windjack.com

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to dagardner105

You think that is bad... I had LiveCycleDesigner installed with my Creative Cloud set and Acrobat X, then I saw the upgrade because again I'm on Creative Cloud... Next thing I know it uninstalled my LCD and I cannot find a way to reinstall.

That is what is confusing... I thought since I had the Creative cloud that it would be included

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to dagardner105

We created forms in acrobat 9 pro and now with XI pro cannot edit them.  Error message states that livecycle designer is required to edit forms previously created in acrobat.  Called tech support and waited for over an hour before being told that another product needed to be purchased for $300 more than the upgrade cost for acrobat pro XI!!!  From the XI FAQ - The web site states:

The following customers are eligible for a free upgrade:

• Customers who purchased a prior license to Acrobat and have purchased an upgrade to Acrobat XI Pro
    • Customers who have an Adobe Maintenance and Support contract or purchased Upgrade Plan eligible for an Acrobat XI Pro upgrade
    • Active Creative Cloud Complete members whose memberships started before October 15, 2012

The one-time LiveCycle Designer upgrade is available in English, French, German, or Japanese. Eligible customers can choose which language they would like to receive. Visit the Customer Support Portal to request an upgrade.

After entering in the needed info on the support portal was told that adobe will Not honor the sales rep & web site which both said we are eligible for the free upgrade.  We asked for a full refund and will not longer be using any new adobe products.  We went back to 9 pro forms work fine and adobe lost $.  Nice work adobe - lie to customers and then act surprised that the customers want their $ back!  They told us to just toss their software DVD in the trash where IT belongs, so we did!

Cheers,

Actiondan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to ActionDan_OBX

Wow

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to delacombo

i was looking forward to trying Acrobat XI due to the editing features. Im a form designer and i develop them in LiveCycle Designer but what happens after a form is done, i sent it to translation services. I though i might have the translators on Acrobat PRO XI and they could just ahead an do their editing.

But i get that "To edit this form, you need to use LCD).

i dont want to have translator use LCD as they endup having access to everything? Is there maybe a way to work around that at all?

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points