Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects CS6 Importing Video error

Oct 19, 2012 5:08 AM

We have been experiencing problems with Adobe After Effects CS6 when importing video files. The files I've used for testing are .mov format.

When you import a video you get thiss error:

Error message.jpg

Then you get the message 'input violation error has occurred'  and the program forces closes

At first I thought it was a profile issue as it was only effecting certain users but this appers to be intermittent across all our iMacs. I've deleted all the local profiles to be sure this wasn't causing the problem.

It seems to work ok as admin so I gave the students the same permission but this didn't fix the issue. Sometimes it does work but then you go to import another video into the same project it doesn't allow you and the same error appears.

I've installed both update 11.01 and 11.02 that didn't help either.

I have a feeling it might be something to do with codecs.

Anyone shed any light on this ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

Without knowing more about your video files, it's hard to know more about what is causing this. You say that you experience it across several computers? Does this happen with videos from several sources or are they all coming from the same source (camera?)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

So this is happening with one single video file, or with all video files

from the same source?

If it is just a couple of video files that you need to constantly open on

50+ computers, I would suggest you zip a video file, upload it somewhere

and then provide a link to the file in a bug at http://adobe.com/go/wish

Then I'd open the file up another software (HandBrake, Premiere Pro, FCP

X?) and just transcode it (export it to another video codec) since the file

is probably incorrectly saved or corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

"...I have a feeling it might be something to do with codecs."

That would be a very likely cause of woe.  You can sidestep the issue by transcoding the footage to a lossles codec for use in AE.  My personal favorite is quicktime's PNG codec.  It works on both Mac and Win platforms.

Don't faint as the file size.  I presume you have a delivery codec picked out, and the delivered file size will probably be much smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

".mov" is just a container that can hold hundreds of different video codecs.

When you say that they work in AE if you "save in Bridge" I don't understand what you mean, to my knowledge Bridge doesn't allow you to modify video files in a way that can be saved to disk.

As so often on this forum, you are providing so little detail that I can't even guess what might be your problem.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

I'm sorry, but we won't be able to help you unless we get a lot more information to go on.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

I'm afraid you will have to contact Adobe's support, this kind of remote support is impossible with so little information.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to Claire.S.S

Claire.S.S wrote:

A student found a video on youtube about Adobe Bridge(which I have been unable to find).

What this student did NOT know is that Bridge is available only with an Adobe Suite of related applications like Production Premium, containing Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Encore, After Effects, Adobe Media Encoder, etc.

I feel for you: you're in a position of being blind and being led by the blind.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points