Skip navigation
dmkrueger123
Currently Being Moderated

Custom Info Panel as Bridge MetaData Panel

Oct 19, 2012 7:19 AM

Tags: #bridge #cs6 #file_info_panels

Hello,

I have built a Custom XMP InfoPanel that shows up in CS6 Bridge just fine! But for ease of data entry we want it to show up in the Bridge MetaData panel. How is this done with the latest best practices?

I have looked everywhere found a number of ways, but ALL are out dated! The XMP FileInfo SDK doesnt cover this.

Screen Shot 2012-10-19 at 10.17.41 AM.png

Thank you

Dean Krueger

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to dmkrueger123

Hi Dean,

please read the chapter "3 The Generic Panel" on p. 38 in the XMP FileInfo SDK Programmer's guide, which comes with the XMP FileInfo SDK.

Regards, Stefan

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Stefan Makswit

Hello

I have the same issue.  Could not figure out how to doit.

Not much information for version 4.0 and how to make the panel appear in bridge's metadata placard

Can anyone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to dmkrueger123

Thanks Dean ,  it works!

I tested in Windows 7, so the path to save the file actually is:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\XMP\Custom File Info Panels\4.0\custom

Regards.. Ruben

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Stefan Makswit

I created a Custom Panel for Photoshop CS6. Now I need the same for Bridge CS6. I'm reusing the panel and I am getting all of the metadata fields. The thing I can not get to show up is the Label on the Bar or Tab in Bridge. Here is a pic of my code. Any help?

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 4.15.09 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to Kevin.Butler

Hi Kevin,

The label of the tab is set from the manifest file not the properties.xmp file. The pic of the code you have sent is of properties.xml file. There must be a manifest file inside your panel and in parallel to properties.xml and loc folder. I have a set label of my panel and manifest file is like

<xfi:fileinfo xmlns:xfi="http://ns.adobe.com/xmp/fileinfo/">

<xfi:panels>

<xfi:panel

name = "Read_Rights_Publisher_mypanel"

label = "$$$/Custom/Panel/CS6/Label_mypanel=mypanel"

description = "$$$/Custom/Panel/CS6/Description=This panel loads the 'properties.xml' file from the panel directory (which describes a custom XMP schema) and creates a panel out of the properties." 

type = "generic"

version = "1.0"

propertyDescriptionFile = "properties.xml"

localizationFile = "customPanel"

modifyDate = "2012-01-01Z"

visible="true">

</xfi:panel>

</xfi:panels>

</xfi:fileinfo>

This is the same Generic Panel provided in SDK/sample/panel.

If you still not able to see the label of the panel, please send the "manifest.xml file"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to sunilkishorpathak

Hello Sunil, we are also experiencing the issue where our custom panel works fine in CS6 but we are unable to see it in Bridge CS6. Can we send the custom panel files to you for review?

Regards,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 9:50 PM   in reply to Science_DC

Sure, please send me the custom panel on skpathak@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2013 9:46 PM   in reply to sunilkishorpathak

You are looking at two different places and due to this you are not getting same result. You are putting your panel in <application>/Custom File Info Panels/4.0/panels which is the right place.

To see this panel in Photop you are opening file info dialog (File->File Info) and inside the file info dialog you get your panel. This is the correct behavior and also documented in the SDK.

But in case of Bridge you are expecting you panle to come in Bridge's Preference Panel not the File Info Panel and this is the issue. The panel which are shown inside Bridge's metadata panel are controlled from Bridge preferences (Bridge's Edit->Preferences) where you can select which subpanel you want to show ... . To see your custom panel (AAAS Preflight) open the File Info Dialog (Bridge's File->File Info). In this dialog you will see your panel.

For your reference, I checked it in Brige it's working fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to sunilkishorpathak

Thank you for looking into this so quickly.

The idea for us is to save our operators time by not having to use 'get info' on every image file to see the information in our custom panel. We would like the operators to see the information in bridge as they scroll through the images using bridge's metadata view -so seeing it quickly in the metadata panel. Is this possible?

-Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to Science_DC

I'm looking to do the same thing.

According to the documentation I have found...

Photoshop panels live in Library/Application Support/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/4.0/panels/PanelName

Bridge panels live in Library/Application Support/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/4.0/custom

All I've read/seen seems to indicate that the Bridge Panel is a single file named PanelName.xml. (There is a Mobile.xml and a DICOM.xml file there.)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to Kevin.Butler

Hi Science_DC,

You are missing the zstring in your label or description and the same issue is with properties too. For testing i changed only two properties but you need to do the smae for others too.  I tested after using the ZString and it's working fine in Bridge too. Please find the original and modfied code (only for two properties)

1. Your original properties.xml is

<xmp_schema prefix="custom" namespace="http://my.custom.namespace/" label="<Your label>" description="<Your Panel Description>">

<!-- simple properties -->

<xmp_property name="Text" category="external" label="<Property Name>" type="text"/>

<xmp_property name="Text2" category="external" label="<Property Name>" type="text"/>

--------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

</xmp_schema>

Insert the ZString like below (inserted text are in bold)

<xmp_schema prefix="custom" namespace="http://my.custom.namespace/" label="$$$/Custom/Panel/Label=<Your label>" description="$$$/Custom/Panel/Description=<Your Panel Description>">

<!-- simple properties -->

<xmp_property name="Text" category="external" label="$$$/Custom/Panel/Property1 Name=<Property1 Name>" type="text"/>

<xmp_property name="Text2" category="external" label="$$$/Custom/Panel/Property2 Name=<Property2 Name>" type="text"/>

--------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

</xmp_schema>

2. Put that propery file in Custom File Info Panels/4.0/panels (at the same place where DCIM.xml and mobile.xml is)

Following is the screen shot which I got after ZString insertion (CS6 Bridge)

panel_in_cs6_bridge.jpg

If it doesn't work, could we do remote desktop?

-Sunil

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to sunilkishorpathak

Hi Sunil, this works great in CS6. Bridge shows all the info I need it to show. This is useful and will save time evaluating the images.

However, it does not work in CC –meaning the custom info panel does not show in Photoshop nor Bridge, and the metadata panel does not show in Bridge CC. Is there a different location where the xmp data stuff is now located for those versions? Or is there additional work that has to be done for that to be enabled/work in CC?

Someone on the web posted this for the paths info: http://metadatadeluxe.pbworks.com/w/page/46294685/CS%20Info%20Panel%20 Install%20Paths

It shows the paths for CC to be the same as CS6, is this information correct?

Regards,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Science_DC

Hi Science_DC,

It's not working in CC because the panel path for CC has been changed. Before CC, there was common panle for all CS applications but starting from CC, every application will have it's own custom info. The path of the Custom Info panel will be <application installation path>/Custom File Info Panels\4.0\custom. e.g. on my system Custom File Info Path for

Photoshop is

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Custom File Info Panels\4.0

and For Bridge is

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CC (64 Bit)\Custom File Info Panels\4.0

So earlier putting once panel affects all application but now you need to put the same panel in every application you want you panel to be. Please check the installation directory for your PhotoShop/Bridge and put your panel in the Custom Panel and if application is running restart it (to avoid and type of unloading however restart of the application is not required)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points