Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS5 Crashes almost immediatly on 10.8.2

Oct 19, 2012 6:17 PM

Tags: #cs5 #mac #crash_on_using

I am not sure when it started as I only use ID every 4 months but it now just after starting it. Things that make it crash:

- Choosing open from the start screen

- Choose a template and then doing something like save or Cammand-D

I have tried resetting prefs, repair permissions, the fixing SING process (it came up repeatedly in searches for similar issues).

I am using InDesign 7.0.4.553 (7040) and Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Any help would be appreciated as I only have two weeks before I need to submit my folio for uni which I alway do in InDesign.

Crash report is here: http://pastebin.com/46isnjjk

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to JustUp!

As per the crash log it seems the crash at the Apple code.

Can you create a new user account on your computer and then check.

Also, please check in the safe mode as it will rule any chance of software conflict.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

hello.. Am having a problem. Every time i try to export or package one particular document to pdf in design, it crushes and I get the following report. Any help rendered would be highly appreciated.... I have tried to to reconstruct this document in another file, but the same problem recurs.. Please see the crush report..http://pastebin.com/zwdndwB9

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to kevinkiiza.rwanyarare

Try updating your version of ID to the latest. ( CS5 - 7.0.4 )

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Post the crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here. It might help identify the cause of the crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to JustUp!

What's the status when you restart the machine in Safe mode.

Does it give you the same issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to JustUp!

The forums have been really screwed up for a couple of days and it's nearly impossible to tell who made a lot of the posts. If you get a redundant request for information that's probably why.

Ilooked over the crash report and it looks to me like a problem in Apple code, not Adobe, but I have no idea what it means. How does it behave if you strt up the machine with extensions disabled?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Have you tried a new user?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to JustUp!

I have nothing to offer at this point other than reinstall, and I don't have a lot of confidence that will solve it.

I know you tried a safe boot, but are you running a font manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to JustUp!

OK.

I wish John Hawkinson was monitoing this. He's our crash expert.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to JustUp!

I'll Ping him. No promises, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Do you have your license key?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 5:23 PM   in reply to JustUp!

De-activation would be a good idea, if you get to that point. There's probably a "soft limit' on the numbe of activations, but if you run up against it (and you probably won't on the same machine) there's a number you can call and get it straightened out in a matter of minutes for cases like this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to JustUp!

The numberI've used is probably a US number, but it it's been a few years...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 23, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Any way to prod him to get his attention? I've only a week before I have to do my final assemblage of work and I've always used ID since I bought it and I really don't even know how I'm going to work otherwise.

Sorry. I do indeed respond to prodding. I need to re-integrate monitoring the forums back into my life after taking a break from them. I still haven't quite gotten there, and I do feel guilty.

Unfortunately Peter's clearly correct -- this is Apple's crash deep inside the the Open file dialog box. It's not a crash I've seen.

Do we know that 10.8.2 actually works with ID? I don't have any 10.8 machines to test with.

Uninstall/reinstall of ID is not a big deal. You should just bite the bullet and do it. It really only takes a few minutes on a fast machine, less if you go away and come back whle it is running...

I especially don't have confidence that this will fix your problem. So you should try it as soon as possible to determine whether it does, so we can figure out whether you need to do something else. You could also open a support ticket with Adobe... (http://adobe.com/go/supportportal). This is unlikely to yield a quick answer, but if it is widespread, something should get done.

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 23, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to JustUp!

You should deactivate first (2), though it's not super-critical unless you are reinstalling the OS.

Just use the Uninstall Adobe InDesign CS5 alias, yes.

Uninstalling all of CS5 should not be necessary. It is something you might consider trying if the ID reinstall does not work. I think there is essentially no liklihood that you would uninstall and not be able to reinstall Photoshop and Illustrator.

Yes, I understand navigating the Adobe Phone situation is difficult. You need to make sure your case gets escalated to the right level, ad that is hard to do effectively. Still, it does help to get the problems in the system...

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 23, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Well, I am sorry. I do think this is probably Apple's bug, but it falls to Adobe and Apple to resolve it, which is not helpful.

As I previously mentioned, you can try uninstalling all of CS5 and reinstalling it, and that is highly unlikely to make it worse. Whether it will make it better is hard to say.  I would try it were I in your shoes.

Again, sorry, and best of luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 1:01 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

Do we know that 10.8.2 actually works with ID? I don't have any 10.8 machines to test with.

InDesign is fully functional on 10.8.2. It is tested and there are no specific issues.(http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/07/adobe-creative-suite-and-mounta in-lion-mac-os-x-10-8/)

In this case when John has confirmed that it is Apple's crash deep inside the the Open file dialog box, hard to say where problem lies exactly and sticking to John words please contact Adobe Support.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

manish,

Is there anything you can do internally to get this more attention? I'm pretty sure I saw at least two crash reoprts with the same or very similar patterns this week, but becasue of the Jive disaster it was impossible to know who actually posted them, so they might not be unique.

Just-up,

Did you,by chance  upgrade the OS and use th migration tool or simply leave the Adobe apps in place. Adobe apps don't respond well to that and generally need to be uninstalled and reinstaalled clean. (and I would run the cleaner tool first -- CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3). I'm disturbed, though that you had so much trouble the first time you installed the suite -- it's normally pretty straightfoward -- so I'm beginning to suspect you have some other issue specific to your system configuration that is interfering withthe install.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Oct 24, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to JustUp!

Well, that certainly encourages the belief that you should try uninstalling

the whole creative suite and reinstalling.

Maybe even running the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool in the middle.

But it is...tough to know. So unfortunately you're going to have to experiment

to get it working.

Again, sorry we can't offer you anything better...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter,

I thought you were on vacation

Justup! ,

Let us know result of the recommendation of John to uninstall and re-install the Creative Suite with Cleaner tool.

In the meantime let me see what I can do from my side to help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

John Hawkinson wrote:

Well, that certainly encourages the belief that you should try uninstalling

the whole creative suite and reinstalling.

Maybe even running the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool in the middle.

But it is...tough to know. So unfortunately you're going to have to experiment

to get it working.

Again, sorry we can't offer you anything better...

Indeed, but if you review the original post there is a no-media and licensing obstacle to that option.

I'm afraid if you need to us ID it's going to cost you some money to buy your own license. You might want to look at Creative Cloud....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to JustUp!

Oh, sorry. I seem to be conflating a coule of similar problems.

Uninstall, run the cleaner (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) and reinstall

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points