• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to generate printed documentation

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Robohelp 9 with Windows 7, office 2007 and trying to generate printed documentation. I've adjusted security in MS Word and go through the setup in single source options in robohelp but when it gets to the point of trying to generate printed output it seems to get stuck on Processing documents. I try to cancel out but nothing happens and am forced to control quit.

Am I missing some kind of configuration options?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2012 Oct 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with one of the sample projects? That will help identify it is a general problem or just the project you are working on.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck. I opened a default Robohelp project (Sales Builder) and tried to generate printed output for that. Same issue. Starts off ok but then can't get past Processing Topics...I try and cancel, close the window but nothing happens. I'm forced to kill the process every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the PDF option selected as well as Word? If so try without.

Are you generating to a network drive rather than a local drive? Generate locally.

How long are you allowing the process to run?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, these projects are sitting locally on my system. My original project file is significantly big so I liked your idea of trying a sample file that was much smaller but still the same problem. In both cases, I’m waiting at least 5 minutes and for my project I was waiting 10. Am I being too impatient? It generates a Webhelp version is less than 2 minutes so this is what I’m comparing it too???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would leave it ten minutes or so just to prove the point but I don't think it will make a difference. As a final test, create a new single topic project.

You say you have adjusted security in Word but not the setting you have applied. It must be the lowest.

The fact that this is happening to all projects tested so far does suggest an installation issue. Before going down that route though, where does your Normal.dot template reside?

Are you able to install to another machine?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I figured it out. So I generated a 1 page project tand this dialogue window that pops up titled “Convert From:” and then lists a bunch of options to choose from, html being the selected default. The reason it couldn’t proceed in previous tries was I couldn’t see this dialogue window??? and that’s why the process was running but not progressing or letting me cancel out.

Is there a setting I need to select in Word or Robohelp so that this option is selected automatically? My normal.dotm file is located C:\Users\(myusername)\AppDate\Roaming\Microsoft and my security settings is under the Microsoft Word Trust Center and I’ve selected Enable all macros

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the dialog you are referring to. Use the camera icon you will see when posting your reply.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this problem and I think it's now resolved.

I am trying the Robohelp 11 trial on Windows 7 with Office 2010 and had the same issue where when attempting to generate printed documentation it would hang at the "Processing topics" step for 5-10 minutes.  I also had to end the program each time through the Task Manager.

I was working with the sample EmployeeCare2 help project on my local system.  The first time I got some message about another program using Normal.dot and clicked through it, but I didn't see that again and then was getting this problem.

I then made a new, single-topic help project and for the first time noticed a "Convert File" dialog pop up from Word that was waiting for me to do something.  I'm not sure if this dialog was popping up before, so I could have missed it.  I believe this is the same dialog the OP mentioned.

greenshot_2014-02-28_12-12-16.png

The default was HTML and I clicked OK and the Robohelp doc generation finished.  Subsequent generations of DOCs did not prompt me about this again.  So I think it's resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try to identify which file is hanging the generating process. I had something similar and found that the file itself was corrupted. When I removed it from the project - the file compiled just fine. Then, going back, I was able to identify something in the formatting that was hanging the file.

If you open a sample file that RH ships with and without touching it other than to compile, the file is hanging, I would think this has to do with a system issue and something in your configuration is not compatible. Also, was Word installed before or after RoboHelp? If after, that alone could be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp