Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where are the Render files?

Oct 19, 2012 2:09 PM

I just learned that every time I render a project a render file is created.

Where are they?  Can I look at them?

I see there is the option to delete them but before I do that I would like to know what they are.

Also, is there any reason to keep them?  Maybe I should just keep the last "rendition"?

If they are actual files they might be occupyig space unnecessarily.

Please advise.  Thxs.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 19, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to videope

In the "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" folder.  For me, this is in my main project folder.

You can also go to the sequencemenu and delete render files (for this sequence).

Personally, I just trash the contents of the folder and recreate if I need them.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to videope

Exactly. Delete them and you have to render again.

Personally, I keep all of my render files on a special disk dedicated to temporary files of all kinds. When I finish a project, I erase everything on the drive. No sense in saving render files.

In fact, if I have rendered, and made changes and rendered and made changes often enough, I sometime delete all of the render files just before I leave for a while, or stop for  meal, and then let them rerender while I am gone. That way I only have the files I actually need.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to videope

videope wrote:

You say you would recreate them if needed.  Is that because if one deletes them the project will become unrendered?

For the most part, we do not need to render the sequences because Pr is so good at playing undrednered sequences - right up until we add things like Neat Video, and even then Pr will play 1/4 res in real time

So, we tend to render only if we have lots of non-real time effects applied and need to watch through in real time without exporting.

I specifically delete all the render files prior to archiving because they can easily be recreated if needed, assuming the project is ever restored.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to ExactImage

Do you know how to get them to reinstall into a project that you just moved?

For instance, I just renamed my drive for internal purposes and now my render files won't link up to my media. I have relinked my footage to the new drive name, but the render files don't automatically reappear.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Jacob Barkey

PP will ask you where preview files are when you open the project and it can't find them.  If you didn't specify this when asked, and you then later saved the project, then you will not be asked again and will have to rerender.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks Jim.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers