Skip navigation
ThatsaKeeper
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge icon on menu bar of Photoshop CS6?

Oct 20, 2012 3:38 PM

I am running Production Suite CS6. Is there a way to put the Bridge icon on the top menu bar of Photosho9p CS6 as it was on previous versions? Thanks. Warren

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 20, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to ThatsaKeeper

That whole menu bar was eliminated in photoshop CS6.  Lots of complaints, but probably not coming back.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to ThatsaKeeper

Like you I too miss the icon for Bridge, but you have to remember this one fact, Adobe decides how you get to use the programs you bought. They  know best. They decide that they will install junkware like AAM under the pretext of being for your benefit. Once you know your place you'll get along with Adobe just fine. The workaround that I've used is to send a short-cut to Bridge to the Desktop, then add a short-cut key to its properties, I use CTRL+ALT+T. That brings it from anywhere.

David

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 23, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to ThatsaKeeper

Personally I never used that icon but there are other item from the application bar that I do miss deeply (arrange documents icons especially)

It is my understanding that they decided to dump this feature to preserve screen real estate especially on small screens for lap tops. And yes, Adobe decides what is best, they produce this application and therefor have the right to do it. You might or might not agree but expressing this on the user to user forum does not help to bring it back in anyway, you have to put in a Feature Request (find the link on the main Forum page) to address it to Adobe directly.

And the problem is that their are many users with different workflows and wishes. I also hated some changes first but discovered that a lot of them needed a bit more usage and after a while the changes for me often seemed to improve my workflow.

It is just very hard (if not impossible) to keep everyone satisfied and what other people almost never use or seems ridicule to even exists you might see as crucial for you workflow and vice versa.

However there seem to be at least two ways but often more to gain the same result in PS, it just needs a bit of time and learning :-0

Changes are needed, not only for keeping the business running but also to keep up with the increasing demands of both users and computers. It seems just yesterday that I used PS 3 on a Mac with a 500 MB HD and buying 16 MB RAM needed a small fortune as well as the costs for a 128 MB CF card.

Today I use 4 disks of 2 TB in one Mac with 16 GB RAM and 32 GB CF cards that only costs a fraction of that small fortune mentioned above and with PS CS 6 I have tons of more options to enhance my files with a speed that is measured in lightyears compared to 15 years ago....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

It is my understanding that they decided to dump this feature to preserve screen real estate especially on small screens for lap tops.

That was my recollection as well. The decision to remove the Application Bar was in part based on user requests to get part of their screen back, since all that real estate was mostly empty except for a few icons. Back then, many users complained about the addition of that bar, not the removal of it.

Also, just FYI, it isn't necessary to create a workaround keyboard shortcut to compensate for the lost icon. For several versions, Bridge and Photoshop have already had a round-trip keyboard shortcut, which is Command-Option-O in OS X or Ctrl-Alt+O in Windows. This is the shortcut for the Photoshop command File > Browse in Bridge, and the Bridge command File > Return to Photoshop. Pressing it switches to the other application, and because it works both ways it saves a lot of time when working your way through a folder of images in Bridge that need to be edited in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Thanks for the short-cut, I'm a keyboard sort of person, but that one I didn't know. Plus a whole lot more I suspect.

David

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Oct 25, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to OldRhind

but that one I didn't know. Plus a whole lot more I suspect.

You are not the only one...

Check this site:

http://www.cs6shortcuts.com/photoshop-cs6-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Trevor Morris used to produce a very nice looking shortcut list but think he stopped doing that after CS4. However most will be still accurate:

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/shortcuts/

And of course you can always check yourself under PS menu Edit / Keyboard shortcuts. Here you can also alter your own custom shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

Conrad, your explanation, and the Bridge keycommand are both helpful. Thanks!

Before I found this thread, in looking for the "missing" app bar, I tried a couple of my old workspaces, which seemed to bring back some half visible, not-expandable mystery app bar.

CS6AppBar.png

Interesting, but not useful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 28, 2013 12:16 AM   in reply to Jean Miele

Interesting, but not useful.

On the contrary, they are very useful and this is called the option bar. This one differs per tool because you can set or check the values of the selected tool. If they would dump this also I'm pretty sure a lot of users would stop upgrading Photoshop

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke. Click on the picture and look carefully. I'm talking about the little half-visible bar between the Menus and the Options Bar.

I can move it, but cannot expand it to full size. It seems to be a bug. A leftover from the previous versions when there were two full bars.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 28, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to Jean Miele

Omke. Click on the picture and look carefully.

I'm sorry, should have gone to bed before posting...

Clicking on the image does clear the fuzziness indeed!

What you have there is the top bar containing the name of the application (partially visible) and what you are missing are the 'traffic light' buttons (red, yellow and green) for closing, minimize to the dock or enlarge to full screen buttons for the Mac.

Don't know how you managed this (tried it my self with no luck) but you can see some little lines at the left instead of the red yellow and green buttons. Can you try to grab them and move to enlarge?

Or deselect the application frame, quit and restart PS and again select the application frame?

Also saving old workspaces and copy them to the new application version might not always be working correctly, best to create new ones for the new version. Down side is that this takes some time, plus side with this is you can always discover some new ways of working...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points