Skip navigation
mdashow2
Currently Being Moderated

My version of Macromedia Flash ActiveX Control isn't compatible with my version of Windows

Oct 22, 2012 12:38 AM

Tags: #flash #windows #compatibility #activex #activex_control

I am trying to use a new copy of Camtasia Studio 3, and I keep gettiong the error message that my version of Macromedia Flash ActiveX Control isn't compatible with my version of Windows and that I should ocntact Adobe for support. So here I am.

I am running Windows7 64bit, and it's a brand new computer so I know that there aren't tons of legacy installations or Flash players on it. This page http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html tells me that I have Flash Player version 11.4.31.110 installed but that I should have 11.4.402.287 installed. But I have installed the latest Flash player from the Adobe site (twice!) and it never gives me an option for 11.4.31.110 vs 11.4.402.287.

I am using Chrome and Flash is working fine in my browser: It's only Camtasia that isn't working well.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to mdashow2

Hm, I assume you mean Camtasia Studio 8?

Check the chart on the page you linked. You'll see that the version you have installed is in fact the latest version for Chrome. They haven't updated it beyond that. Each browser engine has its own latest version of flash. IE and Mozilla are 11.4.402.287.

Aside that, there's no reason Camtasia should be requiring you to have that version of flash. Make sure when you're publishing your content that you don't check off any options to "require the user to have the latest version of Flash". You should also (if possible in your project) try to target MP4/HTML5. Check any HTML being generated with it (hopefully using SWFObject) and check for the version checking code. There is absolutely nothing Camtasia needs to require the latest version to do. I've been using Camtasia (TechSmith codec mostly) for screen recording since version 2.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points