Skip navigation
kbizle
Currently Being Moderated

Auto find relink feature

Oct 22, 2012 6:04 AM

Tags: #indesign_links_cs4_cs6_relink_auto

Hello To all,

I have huge image libraries that tend to be updated an modified due to the nature of my industry.

InDesign cs4 had an auto find feature when you were relinking or looking for a lossed link file.

In cs6 its gone. Is it me or is it a feature Adobe has steered away from?

Thanks, KB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to kbizle

No the option should still be there.

It should be in the links panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to kbizle

As Eugene mentioned, no feature has been taken away in CS6.

I think you might be talking about an OS-created search feature which is part of Mac OS X (still there in Mountain Lion) which allows you to search within a dialog box. See the area I've circled in the image below.

Relink.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve - I believe they are talking about when a link is missing and you go to Replace Link

The dialog box comes up in InDesign and you navigate to that folder.

When you are in the right folder the program jumps to the file it's looking for as it has the same name.

This behaviour is in CS5.5 on Windows - but I'm not sure how it works in CS6 on a Mac?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

It is the Relink dialog. When you're in the right folder, InDesign CS6 does not highlight the missing file. I don't recall that it ever did.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

It definitely does on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to kbizle

On the Mac, I find Default Folder tremendously productive. It might have that feature, but it definitely helps remember recent and favorite folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Steve we understand that there is a search function in Lion when you try to relink a file in Indesign, but what everyone is asking is in the past when you would want to relink a file the dialog box would open and highlight your file, after i had installed CS6 with Lion OS that feature is no longer availble or working. It might be becasue of Lion, or CS6.

Anyone have any idea ???? this is a real downer for someone how relinks alot of files.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to sergioMcGill

As far as I know it's an ID isuues, not the OS. It happens to me on Windows 7, too.

I did discover that pressing the enter key will highlight the file if it's present, though.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to kbizle

few months late, but i was having the same problem with CS6 not relinking the way CS4 used to - finally figured it out, hope it works for you too - instead of hitting command+D to replace a missing link, right click on the file in the links panel and click "relink" - when i do this instead of replacing the file (command+D), it finds the rest of the missing links in that folder (whereas replacing it makes it go manually)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to blackknuckles

kbizle said:

When you would manually search folders/libraries within the relink folder option, the relink/find feature would highlight the file to reduce the manual search time if you are in the right folder.

Same here. Blackknuckles suggestion doesn't work on the Mac or is nothing to do with this particular problem.

This is not an OS problem. Our studio is running Mac OSX 10.6.8 (and has been for a long time). We upgraded from CS5 to CS6 (skipped 5.5) and now have this problem.

Adobe, please fix this ASAP in an update. This is one of those small things that really helps speed up your workflow and being without it is a pain in the R's.

Cheers,

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to GrizzlyHippo

OMG I totally agree. Why would Adobe take away SUCH a useful feature?!!! I tried blacknuckles suggestion. Doesn't work on Mac...

Yes Adobe, please fix this ASAP!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to kbizle

Does anyone know the status of this issue with Adobe? I have the same problem. We just upgraded to CS6 about a month ago and I just started using it. Noticed the problem right away and thought surely it was an oversight so installed the updates hoping for a patch but no resolution. This is a deal killer for me. I will have to go back to CS5.5. Any info is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 11:56 PM   in reply to Brian Logan

Ditto. Supremely frustrated when this handy feature disappeared when I upgraded to CS6. Would love for Adobe to fix this in next release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to piratejabez

Hello,

Here is some thing to wet your appetites.

The link to Ixia.gif is broken.

Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 15.35.09.png

Notice how all the other gifs are grayed out.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Pickory

Working on a script?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hello,

I am. I would like to add it to the context menu, but for the moment it is working through a palette.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Pickory

Do, please, let us know when you are ready to share it. Thousands of users will shower you with praise, and maybe even a few bucks if necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Pickory

That is great. I knew some enterprising soul smarter than I would find a solution.

For what it is worth, I contacted Adobe about this issue and was told that it was a known bug,  that egineering was looking into it and they were hoping to fix it in an upcoming update/release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Brian Logan

If you are feeling brave.

http://www.kerntiff.co.uk/free-stuff/imagenavigator

The UI is a bit cludgy, ctrl click the list to get the open dialog up. Hover the mouse over most things and a tool tip should appear.

I have not tested it on Windows yet.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Pickory

The navigator window seems to work on Windows, but I'm not seeing how to use it to find the file on a re-link operation?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

On a Mac, click the list item that needs to be re-linked, click again with the ctrl key held down.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Pickory

Doesn't appear to be any similar functionality in Windows either by right clicking (the usual equivalent to Control + left click on Mac) or left click with any combination of modifier keys.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

OK, early days. I will crank my Windows machine later, thanks for trying though.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Pickory

Glad to help. That's what beta is all about.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hello,

We have a script that adds to the context menu via the layout. I have no idea if this safe so please use with care. You can get the script here.

All the best.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hello,

There is a new version with a RL button. I am not sure why the Alt and Ctrl stuff isn't working on Windows.

You will also find another script on that page. This script adds a context menu, you load the script through the scripts palette. If it is nearly what people are looking for we will make it a startup script.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Pickory

Thank you Pickory for shedding some light.

This is great when looking for that image, the issue for me and i'm sure also for any big studio's is if you have alt version of that image you can't select it, for example, you have shirt.tif and you want to know where that shirt image is, Great it finds it, but if you want to select the shirt-blue.tif or shirt-red.tif you can't select it. Alterante images such as ICC profiled Images, sizes etc... the good think with the one with Adobe's Bug that isn't working, it would highlight it, then you can just sellect the ones above or below to select the version you needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to sergioMcGill

Hello sergioMcGill,

Do you know, I spent a lot of time restricting the selection to just the one file.

I can make a version of the script that does not restrict the selection but tries to find the nearest folder. Would you give that a go for me? I am very keen to hear your feed back.

edit to say. Isn't that what InDesign does now?

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to Pickory

Yes I can imagine all your work. Sorry Pickory, But don't get me wrong this script is great for the Single file.

The only thing i can think of that might help, would be mybe the first couple of charactars to match not sure if this is even possible, maybe to recanized the first 9 charactors.. lol or away to adjust the charactor count.

this is just an example of our workflow

we have a big Clothing Client

so our folder structure is as follows: (again this is just to give you an example)

1. MENS WEAR

2. WOMENS WEAR

3. INDUSTRIAL WEAR

4. OTHER

5. LIFESTYLE

than in Men's Wear its

1. MENS KNIT TOPS (MMKT_2A)

2. MENS SWEATERS AND FLEECE (MMSF_2B)

3. MENS WOVEN SHIRTS (MMWS_2C)

4. MENS T-SHIRTS (MMTS_2D)

5. MENS DENIM (MMDE_4A)

6. MENS CASUAL FOOTWEAR (MMCF_5C)

7. MENS OUTWEAR (MMOW_7A)

8. MENS CASUAL PANTS (MMCP_9A)

9. MENS DRESS PANTS (MMDP_9B)

10. MENS SHORTS (MMST_9C)

11. DH3 (MDH3)

than our images

MMKT_2A_001A_SF4C.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_SF4C.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_SF4C.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_NP4C.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_RGB.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_RGB_X.psd

MMKT_2A_002A_RGB_Z.psd

MMKT_2A_003A_MA4C.psd

and so on....

Any help would be Great!!!! P

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 12:29 AM   in reply to sergioMcGill

Hello sergioMcGill,

There is a new script on that link. I have added an RL button that looks at the content of the search field to determine how the files are displayed in the open dialog. Leave the search field blank for exact matches, use an asterisk to show all files, put some text in the search field for a partial match.

P.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I can't believe you're saying that earlier versions of InDesign didn't highlight the file when you arrive at the folder containing the file you're looking for.

It has done it in every version since before CS and all of a sudden in CS6 it's not doing it.

When highlighting a missing link and clicking "relink" in any way shape or form, it won't see the link in the folder even thought it's there as plain as day.

In all previous versions it highlighted the link, it saw the link, I just did it in CS5 and it works, same system and it doesn't work in CS6

Why are you pretending to not know what everyone here is talking about?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to tenortom

I BELIEVE THE ISSUE IS WITH THE OS, NOT WITH INDESIGN.

I have one machine running snow and 5.5. It automatically highlights the file name of the missing link once you navigate to the folder.

My other machine is running lion and 5.5 and 6. In neither InDesign 5.5, nor InDesign 6, does the file name automatically highlight.

If this was a feature tied to ID 5.5, then it should continue to do so in Lion, which it does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to dcustomped

No, it sounds like a shared library was updated by CS6 which controls this feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Where would those shared library files reside?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to dcustomped

Hello,

We have a beta startup script that tries to direct you to the correct file.

The script disables the selection of any other image file which should make it easier to find the broken link file.

Screen shot 2013-08-18 at 17.43.20.png

P.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points