Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DVD look horrible

Oct 22, 2012 3:03 PM

Tags: #premiere #elements

I’ve used Photoshop Elements for years with a different product for burning DVDs. Yesterday, I updated to version 11. I downloaded a Premiere Elements trial as well to give it a go. Since the trial is basically useless since it has a watermark over everything, I purchased Premiere Elements to really give it a try. I spent all day trying to get a decent looking DVD from a slideshow created in Photoshop Elements. Unfortunately each time the DVD looks horrible on a HD TV. The menus are graining and the photos are low resolution. (The slideshow movie looks great on a PC or when streamed to the TV.) I’ve tried dozens of different outputs from Photoshop Elements (wmv, mp4, wide, normal, HD, DVD, etc), imported into Premiere Elements and burn disk; it looks terrible so I try again with different settings. I'm running on a Windows 7 PC and trying playback on a PS3 and Samsung Blueray player, but writting a DVD because I want to send it to folks that don't have a blueray player.

I've been trying to get through to Adobe support all day, but the "technicians are busy, try again later" message is getting old and there isn't an email address to ask a question.

I've seen some threads on blurry menus, which I also have, but most of those have fine movie results. I have neither. There is talk of HD vs SD menus, however when adding menus I don't see where which is which is defined. I've tried a number of different menus in Elements to no avail.

Does anyone know the a combination for exporting a slideshow from Photoshop Elements into Photoshop Premiere and then burn a DVD which is of DVD quality or should I just go back to the old software that works? I was hoping the integration of using both products from Adobe would simplify things, but thus far that has proved to be the exact opposite.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 22, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to mfoley100

Are you trying to get a DVD slideshow out of Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements? If Photoshop Elements, you probably ought to post your question to the Photoshop Elements forum.

In any event, it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without knowing exactly what you're doing.

If you've got a Premiere Elements project set up for HD and you've sized your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size before you add them to your timeline, you should get excellent results on a BluRay disc.

DVDs are not high-definition. So if you're showing your DVDs on a hi-def TV, they can't possibly look as good as high-def video. However, if your DVD player and TV are set up correctly, they should still look pretty good.

So you're definitely doing something wrong somewhere. But without knowing what you're doing, it's hard to say where.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to mfoley100

You really can't create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements.

If you mean you created your slideshow in the Organizer, you should select the option to Export to Premiere Elements to port the slideshow over to a Premiere Elements project.

Selecting the option to save it as a WMV and then bringing the WMV into Premiere Elements will very much give you a reduced quality DVD.

As for the menus being blurry -- I don't know what to tell you. If your DVD player has upscaling and/or your HDTV is set to properly interpret standard def DVDs, you should still get very good results. So blurry they're unreadable? Something is definitely wrong somewhere. But I don't have enough information about your workflow to know what. Sorry I can't be of more help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to mfoley100

Create an NTSC DV project in PrE and then bring in the slideshow exported from Organizer. Since your output is going to be a DVD, the PRE project setting should be NTSC DV. Try out Standard and Widescreen outputs to see which one suits your quality requirements better. I suggest you burn to a folder before utilizing a disc for this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to mfoley100

I'm having the same exact problem.  Have you found a solution?  I've created a movie in Pre. 11 and the lettering is very grainy and the video isn't that great either after being burned to a DVD and viewed on the TV.   Just like yours it looks fine on the computer but once burned it really lost a lot of quality.  I tried all the various setting too.  HELP

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to mfoley100

Hello,

I have been getting copied on these e-mails/posts and have finally had

time to work through the posted solutions.  I had been experiencing the

same issues as described.  I am very new to Adobe Premiere Elements 11.  It

seems so easy to use that I mistakenly just jumped in and made a video.

That's when I got the fuzzy text outputs etc.  I purchased a copy of  " Adobe

Premiere Elements 11 - Classroom in a Book, The Official Training Workbook

from Adobe Systems" and after working through the posted solutions and

reading the first two chapters I have resolved the issues I was having.

Most of them were caused by my ignorance.  One however was caused by a

default setting that Premiere uses.  When you open a new project, Premiere

"simply uses the project setting preset from the previous project".  Or it

uses the settings best suited to the first clip imported to the project.

If you are adding multiple video types, they may not all be compatible with

the setting for either the previous project or with the settings for the

first clip added.  The information contained in the first two

chapters of the aforementioned book really explains this quite well.

I highly recommend it to any new users.  It, along with all of the posts,

really helped me.

Many thanks, Barb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to mfoley100

I have the same issue!  Now, I am angry because it is obvious that Adobe is not going to address the two major issues I have.  The first is that there is no 720p preset for making AVCHD discs and the second is that regular DVDs look grainy and the text below each menu is illegible! 

This is what I have tried to make better copy dvds.  I've gone into settings and I've moved the marker so that rather than "most video" fits, I selected "best quality".  However, it doesn't render properly.  The menus you select when creating your DVD does not come close to the garbage you see on the television screen.

So, here's MY solution.  There are pros and cons to it, so get ready:

#1.  I create my videos via Premiere Elements 11.

#2.  I render it as an MP4, 720p and go into the options to increase the bitrate to the highest

#3.  I then downloaded this program called AVS Video Converter.

#4.  I used that program and selected a dvd menu and render my video as a DVD on BEST SETTING, and guess what?  The DVD best setting makes is very comparable to the Elements 11 (blu-ray) render setting, which means that even the blu-ray rendering for Elements 11 is crappy.  But, of course it is considering my videos are all 720p, but I cannot create a 720p blu-ray DVD.

But, here's the downside with AVS video converter.  When you select your menus, you select a photo for each menu.  And, the only photo you can select is the first frame of each video. And, with my videos, the first frame is a black transition.  If you try to select a different frame, THAT'S where the video will start.

Below is my complaint to them and the response I received:

•   SupportTeamAVS4YOU 3 weeks ago    

As far as we understand you would like to change the pictures created for chapters. Regret to inform you but the chapter's thumbnail is the first frame of this chapter and cannot be changed.

·    in reply to azphotoshow (Show the comment)

•       azphotoshow    

azphotoshow 1 month ago    

And, NO, your website does NOT provide instructions for this!

·   

•       azphotoshow    

azphotoshow 1 month ago    

How do I CHANGE the thumbnail preview to a specific scene in each chapter? Because if you just mark each chapter, you're only going to thumbnail a black screen if each chapter begins with a black screen. this is stupid!

So, while the RENDERING and DVD authoring blows Adobe Elements 11 out of the water, you won't be able to have real thumbnails. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points