Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

using the LIKE operator with wildcards to match names

Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using SQL in ColdFusion 9 to match names in an MS Access 2003 database table.

The Visitors field of MyTable contains the name "Smith" in six records.

1. Smith Jones Wilson

2. Smith, Jones, Wilson

3. Smith(Jr.), Jones, Wilson

4. Jones Wilson Smith

5. Wilson Smith Jones

6. Smith

7. Smithson, Jones, Wilson

8. Jones, Wilson, Arrowsmith

To find out which records contain the name Smith (but not Smithson or Arrowsmith) I now need to write four "OR" lines:

WHERE MyField LIKE 'Smith[!a-zA-Z]%'  (finds only the Smiths in records 1, 2 and 3)

OR MyField LIKE '%[!a-zA-Z]Smith'  (finds only the Smith in record 4)

OR MyField LIKE '%[!a-zA-Z]Smith[!a-zA-Z]%' (finds only the Smith in record 5)

OR MyField = 'Smith'   (finds only the Smith in record 6)

I would like to know how to combine these four lines into one which would find all six records containing Smith.

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

I think the way you have done it is best. Since the word Smith can occur at the beginning, middle or end of a string, it is difficult to write a single regular expression to cover all cases. Even if you could, it would be a complex formula indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the way you have done it is best. Since the word Smith can occur at the beginning, middle or end of a string, it is difficult to write a single regular expression to cover all cases. Even if you could, it would be a complex formula indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this is a SQL-specific question, you might be better off asking it on a SQL forum?  Does Access even support regexes?

For a CF the regex you'd be after "\bsmith\b".  You should read the Access regex reference to see if it supports this.  A CF regular expression is no use to you here as the comparison needs to be done on the DB,  not in CF.

--

Adam

Misread the question.  Revising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both replies above told me just what I need to know. So I will stick with what I had already worked out, since the use of the Regex in Access is apparently not supported in my situation. Thanks for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation