Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 Titles - Can text kearning and leading be adjusted?

Oct 23, 2012 10:52 AM

Just migrated to Premiere Elements 11 (from PE 10) and love the new interface and snappy performance.  However, when making simple titles (using Text menu, New Text option) I can't find a way to adjust text leading (space between lines) and kearning (space between letters).  In PE 10 these were available as explicit "buttons".  I'm sure that the developers didn't drop this feature.  Does anyone know how to find it?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 23, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to jammin109

The ability to change text leading has never been available in Premiere Elements, unfortunately.

You'll need to either try a different font or create the title in Photoshop Elements and bring it into Premiere Elements as a PSD file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to jammin109

I guess I should learn not to trust my memory! You're right. It did used to be there.

But it's definitely not available in version 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to jammin109

Well this is a drag!

Just upgraded from PrE 9 to 11. The extra RAM is great but why the heck did Adobe pull the leading and kerning? Having this function helped text titles look more spiffy. Is there an effective way to let Abobe know that there are people who are disappointed that this feature was dropped?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to elementalacu

I have never read of a reason for the removal of what I, too, consider basic type-handling adjustments. Version to version, things change - usually for the better, though not always.

Now, if you have Photoshop, or PS Elements, it does have more type capabilities. I often do my Titles in PS, and then Import those PSD's, for use in Premiere. The up-side is much more control, but the downside is that to make changes/corrections, one must go back to PS, do the editing there, then Save_As PSD, Importing and replacing the existing PSD's, as needed.

For really intricate type-handling, I will do the initial work in Adobe Illustrator, then Place that AI file into a PS Image, set up to match my video Project's Frame Size.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here's a workaround that allows one to make text corrections in PrE 11 and preserves kerning and leading. It will only work if you have a previous version of PrE, like version 9 or 10 and maybe even in earlier versions.

Create a title in a previous version of PrE. Adjust the font, leading, and kerning. When you like the looks of the title, go to File>Export>Title. It will be saved as a .prtl file.

Now the title is ready to be used in PrE 11. Import the title into your project by going to Add Media>Files and Folders. Find the .prtl file that you've created and double click it.

When you bring the title in, all the leading and kerning will be preserved and you will be able to correct and change the words in your title while preserving the kerning and leading.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to elementalacu

I found another workaround: make each line of text a separate title (this is also a workround for text animation on multi-line titles that I learned here with an earlier version of PE).  Then you can make the lines as close together, or even overlapping, as you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 1:05 PM   in reply to Susan Verner

Susan, doesn't your work around require extra tracks per multi lines and over lapping?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2014 1:29 PM   in reply to junior166

junior166

This is an older thread going back to May 2013 so I am not sure how soon Susan Verner will see your question on what she said was her workaround for this text matter.

But, when she says "...(this is also a workaround for text animation on multi-line titles....", then she must be talking about what I described in my blog post under the header of

"Applying Text Animation to 2 or more lines of text per Title (in this example 3 lines)"

With this technique and the example that I wrote about, there were 3 lines of text all within the same Title file, not 3 lines of text each with its own Title file.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-titler-part-1-text-animation s.html

Please let me know if you have any question on the blog post content.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points