Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 Error Message Codec Missing or unavailable?

Oct 23, 2012 2:37 PM

Tags: #import #codec #mov #mpeg-2 #linear_pcm

I know there is already a thread about this... but I couldn't figure out how to add to that thread. I have been googling for like 2 hours and get this figured out! Sorry if this is a silly question, I am very new!

A videographer sent my company a hard drive with video footage he took from our event. I need to split these clips up and import them to Premiere Pro.

Here is all my info:

Premiere Pro 6.0.2 just updated about an hour ago-

Mac OS X 10.7.5

I am trying to import and edit footage a video-ographer gave my company from an event. He sent it to us on an external hard drive. I am not sure what kind of camera he used.

I have downloaded RedCode or whatever. Updated Premiere Pro.

The file type is .mov. It plays fine in Quick Time 10, but only the sound plays in Quick Time Pro 7.

The Codecs for this file are MPEG-2 AND LINEAR PCM,  TIMECODE

I also need to split these clips into smaller clips before importing into Premiere Pro, the clips are all between 8-11GB, if you want to help me with that too.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 23, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to saridooda

Sorry if this is a silly question

Funny thing is, you never actually asked the question.

What is it exactly you're having trouble with?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to saridooda

Follow the solutions suggested by ComputerNovice25 in the first post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4795416#4795416

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to saridooda

These are definitely the solutions for your problem. Can you try going through the steps again?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I had the same issue after I re-installed both Mountain Lion and Adobe products. MOV (XDCAM) media was not reading on Premiere Pro CS6. "Codec Missing or Unavailable" kept prompting. Following ComputerNovice25 advice did not do the trick for this problem. But, I was able to fix issue by simply updating my OS. A ProApps Quicktime Codecs 1.0 was included in the update, which added the following video codecs for Quicktime-based applications:

• Apple Intermediate Codec
    • Apple ProRes
    • AVC-Intra
    • DVCPRO HD
    • HDV
    • XDCAM HD / EX / HD422
    • MPEG IMX
    • Uncompressed 4:2:2

This update is highly recommended for all users running any MacOSX and any type of NLE.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to saridooda

SOLUTION!!

I've been having the same problem and noticed that the files worked on computers with FCP7 installed, but I got the error on machines without.  The solution is here on this blog, and works perfectly and without FCP7 installed.  Just follow the instructions and the codecs needed are there and you just copy them to the Library->Quicktime on the boot drive and you'll be set.

http://www.jonathangrubbs.com/journal/pro-quicktime-codecs-no-fcp/

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to meltzerjosh

Where is Library->Quicktime in Moutain Lion?  Just can't seem to find it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to rjolink

Open a Finder window, then open the Go menu and while having the menu open, press the Option key which will show the hidden location:

library.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to meltzerjosh

YOU ARE AMAZING! Worked like a charm!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2014 12:30 PM   in reply to josuemolina

What were you updating to? I have OS 10.8.5 but when I tried to import an XML file from FCP 6 (generated on a different computer) into Premiere Pro CS6, I got an error mesage that the codec was missing. The original media files in FCP were HDV.

I understand from previous information that CS4 could not import these HDV files because FCP creates a proprietary version of them.  However has this been fixed in CS6? Will the update suggested here address this?

Thanks for your help.

System info:

Mac OS 10.8.5

PP CS6

No Final cut or Compression on this machine

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers