• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR 3.5 still doesnt have 96x96px xhdpi icon support on android.

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AIR 3.5 still doesnt have 96x96px xhdpi icon support on android.

Nexus7's use the larger icons.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

This is a known issue and is planned to fixed in next release of Flash Professional. For the time being, could you please package your application through command line using adt (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d128cdca935b-8000.html). Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

-Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least its not Apple where this could cause the whole app to get rejected. Have you tried manually adding it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now the case on Google Play. My APK just got rejected for not having 96x96, and I can't even add that at the command line!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try out the latest build available at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html, this should solve your problem, please let us knwo how it goes.

Regards,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out it was a native extension I included in the manifest that was causing Google Play to imply that an "icon" was missing. Very strange...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What extension was it and what did you do to resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the Air 3.8 beta. Still cannot add a 96x96 icon for xhdpi devices. If I unpack the apk, I can see that he 72x72 is in the xhdpi folder. I have tried to add the icon myself by editing the app-xml file, but it does not work. I am going to try to manually add the proper icon in the proper folder, but that is a total kludge of a solution,

This is a totally standard part of Android development. Please provide a fix or at least a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added 96x96 icon name in <image96x96>icons/96x96icon.png</image96x96> under <icon> tag in app-xml?

-Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add the 96x96 line to the app-xml file and do a Publish from Flash, that line is deleted from the app-xml file and the 72x72 icon is placed in the XHDPI folder in the apk.

app-xml pre-build:

<icon>

<image48x48>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_48.png</image48x48>

<image72x72>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_72.png</image72x72>

<image36x36>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_36.png</image36x36>

<image96x96>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_96.png</image96x96>

</icon>

app-xml post build:

<icon>

<image48x48>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_48.png</image48x48>

<image72x72>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_72.png</image72x72>

<image36x36>AppIconsForPublish/icon_square_36.png</image36x36>

</icon>

I suppose I can go back to manually packaging the app - but would it be that big a deal to add the icon as it is supposed to be added in the same way the others are handled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue and is planned to fixed in next release of Flash Professional. For the time being, could you please package your application through command line using adt (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d128cdca935b-8000.html). Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

-Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Flash CC and no fix for this.  Actually it is now worse.  Previously in AIR 3.6, icon images seemed to get scaled up on higher resolution devices (not sure if that is Android behaviour vs AIR/Flash) so although not as crisp as I would have liked, the icon was at least a good size.  In AIR 3.7, a bug was fixed to support icon size > 72 and now when I build it, I get a mini icon through out the app.  In sumary:

Use Flash CC + AIR 3.6 = upscaled icon images

Use Flash CC + AIR 3.7 = mini icons

Only solution it seems is to use command line but that isn't really acceptable given I just bought Flash CC and icon sizes on Android haven't really changed in a long time.  I actually posted about Nexus 10 icons in January.  I really hope that the release or update cycle for Flash CC isn't yearly.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5024692#5024692

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated flash update 1.  Besides it now not starting up (error 1, uninstall and reinstall), I don't see support for any new icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nimitja

I have been packaging from command line, but there is no way to add the extra icons from command line. If I try to include the icons from command line, it sticks them all in the /assets/ folder for Android. How do I make it put it in the app root where it needs to be for Android to see it rather than "/assets/"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added the icons in the application.xml under icon tag? 

-Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had it there before but the Flash editor ate it when i built/tested. I just tried inserting the XML right before building with command line. That seems to have updated the xhdpi icon to 96x96. So apparently AIR supports this, other than the faxt that the editor strips out the XML when building/testing.

Also I have heard talk of a 144x144 icon, I added this in the XML as well, but it seems to only have been used as an 'ouya_icon.png' under drawable-xhdpi in the final APK. What is the deal with 144x144? Is it a standard or Google Play size, or just something ouya-specific?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

144 is for xxhdpi where 96 is xhdpi.  xxhdpi came out a year ago with the Nexus 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to get drawable-xxhdpi/icon.png into my APK?

From what I understand drawable-*dpi is about what how dense the pixels are on the screen, not the tablet size iteself, so theoretically even a small device could have xxhdpi?

Is this correct?

What other tablets of notable install base besides Nexus 10 have xxhdpi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure all the scenarios but just noticed that in the beta 3.9 of the AIR SDK, it supports the xxhdpi icon.  Still waiting for any way to have Flash Pro be able to do this.  From release notes of beta 3.9:

XXHDPI (144x144) Icon Support – Android - With this feature we have added support for beautiful, high resolution icons on devices

such as the Nexus 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please share the command line and AIR SDK you are using. You can try with the below command in your terminal to package the apk:

Path/archive_air_3.9_with_asc2_drm_sdk/bin/adt -package -target apk -storetype pkcs12 -keystore Yourcertificate.p12 -storepass CertificatePassword APKName.apk Example-app.xml Example.swf /assets

Also, ouya specific size is 732x412. If you want to use 144x144(xxhdpi) then you can use latest AIR SDK beta available at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html

-Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nimitja,

I installed the latest AIR SDK to Flash CC on my Mac but the icons96x96 and 144x144 are still not supported. Is there a date when this is going to be fixed?

Is there any adobe tutorail/instruction on how to add these icons via command line?

Best

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried using the Flash CS6 IDE and tried to add it manually to the app.xml file and then build the air file using adt.  adt throws an error about the size being invalid.

I'm not even going to attempt to make an air app for ios lol.... can't imagine it being accepted ever.  

david,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should give iOS a try, apple is a PITA but they are unquestionably the industry leader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thought. Maybe you do not need the 96px icon. Such is the case with the Kindle fire it uses a much higher resolution image on the home screen than the 72px max size that Air supports but it pulls it off the server, when you submit to amazon you include a 512px image and I believe that image is then used to create the home screen icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, there is a 512px image... thats a separate issue...   about halfway down the page it lists the icon sizes for android : http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_launcher.html  ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add 144 and 96 micon entries manually in the app descriptor, then you can either use adt, or mark the app descriptor as read-only, and flash will not strip lines off whil compiling!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines