Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fills, strokes, and shadows in titles

Oct 25, 2012 9:20 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Community Help

In a title, is there a way to fill in the text box with a color - say, black, to accentuate white letters in a title -- and superimpose that over the regular video frame, without having to make the entire frame go black? I know how to do this in FCP but can't seem to find a function for it in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to csgeast

In Titler, you can create and place Shapes "behind" Text, and can adjust the Fill and Stroke, as needed. Is that what you wish to do?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to csgeast

Excellent.

The Shapes in Titler are a bit limited, vs say Adobe Illustrator, or even Photoshop, but are still very useful, and with them, Titler offers a lot of control, say removing a Stroke, and even adjusting the Opacity of Fill, doing a Gradient Fill, etc.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Can you explain how to create and place shapes behind text?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to csgeast

In Titler's Toolbar, you have the Shapes Tools, that you just click+drag in the Title area to create your "background." Once created, use the Selection Tool (arrow), to make that Shape active, and then in the Properties Panel, adjust, as required. When satisfied, use the Text Tool to create your Text "above" the Shape.

This Adobe TV Tutorial http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cs6/creating-and-editing- titles/ shows how to work with Objects (could be Text, or Shapes) in Titler.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Somehow, the shapes do not drag when I click them. I also checked out the video tutorial, and it doesn't seem to address those shapes or show how to create background fill. Can you recommend a different tutorial?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to csgeast

For the Shapes, choose the one that you want, say the Rectangle. Then, with it selected, click in the Title area, and drag to create the Rectangle, sized as you wish. You can then Select that Rectangle with the Selection Tool, and adjust it, or reposition it, as necessary. You do not drag the Shape, per se, but with the desired one selected, click+drag in the Title area of the Title, to create it.

When you select one of the Shapes Tools, and hover your Cursor over the Title work area, you will notice that the Cursor changes to an "outlined cross." This is what you click+drag to create your Shape.

Though that tutorial addresses using the Text Tool to create a Text Object, everything is almost exactly the same with a Shape Object. The only difference is that with the Text Tool, one has two options: just click and begin typing to create the Text Object, or click+dragging to create a Text Object "box," in which one can type in the Text. With the exception of Fonts not applying to Shape Objects, about everything else is the same.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to csgeast

Why not use a black outer stroke for the letters.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks for providing more detailed instructions.  I managed to figure out how to do it. I appreciate your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to csgeast

The black outer stroke wouldn't work because the background is very busy. Thanks for your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to csgeast

Great news! Once one gets the hang of things in Titler, they become easy - almost second-nature.

Glad to have helped,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to csgeast

I am looking for instructions on how to copy and paste the drop shadow properties from one title to another -- something like the way I would in Photoshop.  I can't find this in the instructions. Can anyone help please?

Lance

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to LanceWis1

You can't directly as you do in PS.  But you can create a Style and apply that to any title.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points