Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how do you create this dithered pixel effect?

Oct 25, 2012 11:41 AM

Tags: #bitmap #plugin #code #gif #dithering #pixel_pattern

hey guys really need to figure out how this image was created...

image.jpg

firstly was it done in photoshop? if so with what techniques? i tried using indexed colour in the image>mode, with palette>uniform, dither>pattern but still didnt get the high quality that these guys got. i tried saving as a gif/png with pattern option selected in photoshop and illustrator, still did'nt succeed. Was this done using pixelbender? or some type of plugin? anyhow, really need to figure this out. appreciate any help you guys can provide. thanks.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to designfountain

It took some experimentation but I was able to emulate that look by working at 400% of final size, and using the Filter - Pixelate - Color Halftone filter applied on a grayscale layer, inverted, and mixed with the underlying layers using Overlay.

ColorHalftoneDemo.jpg

Here's a small part of what the Color Halftone Filter generated at 45 degrees, 6 pixels radius:

Dots.jpg

Here's a PSD file where you can see how I mixed it in detail:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/ColorHalftoneDemo.psd

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2012 9:28 PM   in reply to designfountain

Here's an attempt at the dither pattern. The colour layer is overlayed with a black and white Bayer 8x8 dither in Overlay mode at 40% opacity. Click on the images to see the dither pattern without forum downsampling.

Link to the dither plug-in: http://www.ximagic.com/g_index.html

comp.png

bw-dither-overlay-40.png

colour.png

Edit: added link to the dither plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to designfountain

the reference image was apparently created using dither pattern. I haven't checked the plug in Conroy suggested but I made a quick try using the dither pattern of the Index Color mode. I  painted with the round soft brush one big blue blob over dark background then converted to index color with a smal number of colors to get more interesting pattern. Then converted back to RGB and used the clone tool to distribute the variations of the pattern randomly on the canvas. The 90% is just a text layer  with outer glow on top of the pattern.

click the image to see it larger

patternDither.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points