Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 trial does not work

Nov 1, 2012 8:28 AM

Downloaded trial version but it will not function.Have tried chat pod help with no success.From opening screen the organiser works and functions ok. The video editor does not function either for existing projects or new projects. The moving bar scrolls for about 120 secs then stops and nothing happens.Thinking of purchasing this program but want to trial it first. Any help please.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2012 5:25 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

What operating system are you  running? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive? Are you editing on your C or main drive or to a second drive?

Have you ensured you have all of the latest updates to your operating system -- even those that do not download automatically? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I would start with this FAQ Entry, which begins with a checklist on setting up the computer and PrE, for the program to run at its best. It then goes into tips on tuning up a system and OS for video-editing, and then goes into a list of troubleshooting tips, with links to tools, and articles, working up in "degree of difficulty." http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Back to the Projects, with which you are experiencing issues: what is the exact Source Material, that you are Importing, and how are you Importing it?

What is the Project Preset being used?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

What does Task Manager say when you launch Premiere Elements 11 on clicking on "New Project"? Is there an entry for Adobe Premiere Elements.exe (as opposed to Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe, which is the little launch screen from which you choose the New Project)?

Are you logged in as an Administrator?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

OK, what version of Apple's QT Player do you have installed?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

Let me go over some things that could possibly make this happen.

Do you have any Antivirus software installed that could possibly be detecting Premiere Elements as a virus? However weird this might sound, we cannot rule it out as a possibility. If it is installed, just disable it for a few moments and then try. Same goes for any firewall protection software (Internet protection etc.). Looks like something is stopping Premiere Elements exe from getting launched.

There have been instances of finger-printing software on laptops conflicting with the app. I don't remember to what extent, but disable that as well and then try.

As Bill suggested, install Quick Time if not already done. If you already have, update it with the latest version.

A bad display driver has caused this behavior before. So update the display driver and check if that helps. Clear the preferences and then try again. Preferences and the related files are at "%appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\11.0" (Copy paste the contents within quotes in to Start->Run Bar and Hit enter.) Delete the complete folder contents. Do not worry, this will be regenerated on a successful launch.

Do a reinstall if clearing preferences also does not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

Could you create another user on your machine and login with that username. Try to launch it now. Just to eliminate the preferences being corrupt. They are saved for a given user. (%appdata%\)

You can always delete the user once done.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 3:36 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I have the same problem have you had any luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

At the time that PrE ceases to function, do you have any warning, or error messages in your Windows Event Viewer?

If you do, and any have links in them, please follow those links, as they might yield useful clues. Unfortunately, many such warning, and error messages will just be meaningless code, but the ones with links can lead to a cause, such as a low-level driver interfering with the OS.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), most users do not have similar problems, so can only offer some broad suggestions, based on problems, about which we have read. I know that it looks like we're throwing out a lot of "stuff," and I guess that we are, but so far, nothing in your system, or setup is really jumping off the screen. We have eliminated, via your tests, many common issues.

Wish that we had something concrete to offer, and maybe an Adobe Staff member will jump in, and spot something that the rest of us are missing. What you describe, when most potential causes have been eliminated, sounds like a conflict with a real-time scanning anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-something program. With the real-time scanning anti programs, they have a tendency to "lock" files, that are necessary to run PrE, on both reads and writes, but you have turned OFF all such programs, so I am now at a loss. Sorry.

Good luck, and I agree with you, that if the trial does not run on the system, buying the full-paid version is likely to encounter the same issue(s), and render the program unusable.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I have been trying most of the same things you have, the differences for me is; it was working under Win7 but started behaving as you describe when I upgraded to Win8Pro and mine is not a trial I had already purchased.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

Try running the setup as Administrator (right-click the setup file and select 'Run as Administrator').

After installation also try running the programs from their shortcuts as Administrator as well.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

Have had a bit of time to concentrate on the problem today, I also have PrProCs4 it also will not load. It freezes at "Loading ExportAVI.prm". But both Ps CS4 and PsE11 are fully functional.  In short the issue???? is confined to Adobe's Premiere programs.  Additionally although I already had the latest available nVidia driver installed I reinstalled today-NO CHANGE.  I have also reinstalled PrProCS4 today with every conceivable security or other program that might cause a conflict closed or disabled - the installer reports that PrPro installs with an error cannot find a CAB file, the CAB file reported does not appear to be on the disk, but I have had to install and reinstal before with no errors - ever!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 12:58 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I'm concerned that you didn't find a BadDrivers.txt file. How did you search for that file? Do you have the option to hide hidden files and folders turned on or off? That file exists whether you have a bad driver or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

I found and removed the bad drivers file, did not help me

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to westernbulldog

Who told you to remove the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

I follwed the suggestions in the link in Bill Hunt's post near the top of this thread.  The file was exactly where he indicated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 12:49 AM   in reply to westernbulldog

You are suppose to open the file up with Wordpad (not notepad) and let us know what it says. If it just says ##FALSE#0#0#0, then there isn't anymore to do regarding baddrivers.txt. If it has listed a device, then there is still a chance. You have to delete text so that all that remains is "##FALSE#0#0#0" without the quotes. Then save the file. Try creating a project with Premiere Elements 11. If you don't have any success, then you will have to find a project that was created with an earlier version of Premiere Elements. When you run Premiere Elements 11, open that project. If that works, congratulations. If not, that's all I kinow. That's what I did to get my installation of PRE11 working.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Restored the file from the Recycle Bin but it just says "##FALSE#0#0#0" no devices. I suspect the issue is an operating system based problem. Just as a comparison I downloaded CS6 Master Collection and installed Premiere Pro.  It freezes at the same point as CS4 PremPro (you can only see this with Pr Elements 11 when you attempt to open from an existing project) Loading "ExportAVI.prm" this is in the plug-ins folder.  I renamed it and tried again but same result.  My next move may be to reimage the PC back to Win7, but hoping not to as ever other aspect of the upgrade to Win8Pro is going better than expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 10:47 PM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I have just successfully opened PrEllements11 for the fist time since upgrading to Win8!  I think I tried this once before but not quite this way.  Try right clicking on the desktop icon and select "open file location" then right click on the Adobe Premiere Elements application (not the Adobe Premiere Ellements 11 application) and select the Compatibility Tab then click on Run compatibility troubleshooter.  The troubleshooter managed to open the program for me.  Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 3:41 AM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

Interestingly it failed to follow up, but I tried it another way and it seems to be working again.  After I tried to open PrEl and it failed I went to the Task Manager (Ctr+Alt+Del) and selected Processes and right clicked on "Adobe Premiere Elements 11" select Properties then Compatibility, don't run the compatibility troubleshooter, instead sheck the Compatibility mode and select Windows 7, Vista or XP modes to see how each respond

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

I have had exactly the same problem as described above, and like westernbulldog I solved this by running in windows 7 compatability mode (I have Windows 8 Pro). All my other Adobe programs including Photoshop C5 have had no problems with Win 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to BARNEYROVER

May I ask which brand/model of graphics card you have?  I am running nVidia 570 and only upgraded recently from a 3 yr old AMD card

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points