Tags: #issue #cs6 #extended
  Latest reply: JurgenD, Mar 8, 2014 3:00 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 15, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to reneeb1710

Assuming your video card is ATI, have you reported the issue to them?  Have you asked them when to expect working drivers?

Only by getting a lot of complaints from Photoshop users will they begin to take Photoshop seriously.  As it is, they're most concerned with making video games work on Windows 8.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 15, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

So, Noel, are you saying that this is an issue that Adobe is not responsiible for correcting? Are you an employee or spokesperson for Adobe? I am just wondering, since the product I purchased is Adobe Photoshope CS6 (which I am using on a computer that uses Windows 8) , why would I need to contact ATI?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to reneeb1710

No, I'm not with Adobe.  But I have some knowledge of how things work. 

The problems you're having with Windows 8 and Photoshop are most likely because the display driver you're using doesn't implement all the advanced features Adobe uses properly.  Remember that Photoshop CS6 was developed before the release of Windows 8.  There are Windows 8 users (e.g., with nVidia cards) who find Photoshop works just fine.

You seem to expect Adobe to take responsibility to make everything work for you, and that's a nice thought, but look around...  In reality Adobe expects YOU to take responsibility for integrating the things you choose to put into your system.

Why would you need to contact ATI?  Because you have ATI hardware.  Because ATI is struggling to make its drivers work right on Windows 8 and needs to know Photoshop users care so they will prioritize their development to our benefit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm sorry if I didn't include my hardware spec Noel but since the Adobe posts in this thread seem to indicate they have identified the problem and are actively working on it I didn't see the need.

I have contacted ATI and hope I will get a response.

However, I think as users, we have every right to a) contact Adobe about the issue since it is Photoshop where we see the problem and b) ask what the latest is on the issue (again becuase it is claimed that they are actively working on a solution).

There are bugs that still exist in CS6 products that still haven't been fixed from previous versions. Adobe, in my expereince, don't have the best track record of sorting issues.

So you will have to forgive me if I feel it necessary to nudge them and ask what the latest is.

Otherwise, I fear, this will just drift and never be fixed.

Windows 8 64bit

Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz

8GB Ram

1.2GB RAID 0

Sapphire VAPOR-X Radeon HD 5770 1GB

24" Dell 2407WFP Monitor

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 20, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Podsnap

I'm not suggesting you "go away" or not report your problems here.

I'm suggesting that with this particular problem it will ABSOLUTELY help light a fire under AMD if they hear that more and more Photoshop users are finding their drivers insufficient.

They're tired of hearing from me; and probably from Chris Cox as well.  From their perspective we're just a couple of folks.  They need to hear from thousands of Photoshop users to know that people really do use their display cards for something other than playing video games.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I think there should be a way to recoup from Adobe for all the time wasted trying to activate, uninstall, reinstall, ad infinitum.  I am not an Adobe Employee.  It's not my job to get their product working properly.  And it's REALLY annoying to get the customer service emails "we think your problem is solved" when it is not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Zottwalker

I ran in to the same issue - tried everything mentioned no luck.  I was using RGB color mode and just for the heck of it I switched to CMYK color mode and the problems stopped - (knock on wood)..............

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to BD61

I tried that also. It seems that seens I updated my Photoshop cs6 to 13.1.1 the "use graphic processor" doesn't change anything. I no longer have the smooth zoom and the pixel borders...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Aviv_Heilweil

I tried to reset the tools that seemed to be affected - nope.  Then I tried to reset all the tools - nope.  I then googled for an update for Win8 - nope, it seem that Photoshop is Win8 ok.  I then went into preferences and gave Photoshop a boost with memory and set up a larger scratch disk - nope although it did seem to help a wee bit.  My computer has an ATI Radeon 5860 GPU graphic card so I went into device manager to take a look - no problem.  So I clicked the 'look a newer driver' - search came up empty.  I then went to ATI's website and there is an update which I downloaded and installed still - nope, same issue.  Then I remembered I had switched my color pallete to CMYK for the color picker tool and fill tool because I was trying match a CMYK print cartridge color while I was in RGB color mode.  I changed the color mode for the screen to CMYK and the problem stopped.  It is working for me so far - (knock on wood)!!!

I guess I would check to make sure that both are the same.   I have been a novice of Photoshop for a long time but never a pro.  When I have issues with Photoshop I start looking and sometime I can solve it sometimes I can't.  I could be that when I start up tomarrow the problem will be back but for now its ok.  One more thing - it could just be RGB is the problem, just saying.    Hope this helps.              

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to Zottwalker

The links to your images are not working, please update them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to Pashminu

this is BD61 - I have not posted any images.  Perhaps you used the incorrect email address. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I just upgraded to windows 8 and have the same problem like zottwalker and I installed all latest driver .. I have a Intel HD Graphics 3000 .. this really sucks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to JurgenDoe

I did downloaded the new version with the adobe downloader and it is not better ... it’s still the same

Sent from Windows Mail

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to David Dobish

Hi

I've been following this post for some time - and I've not managed to find any solution - apart from the workaround which to be fair was originally meant to be a stopgap until a solution was found. So, as it has now been more than a couple of months -  has anything been sorted out re this problem yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Draig37

While I have not followed all this thread closely it seemed to start out with a conflict with Win 8 and the GPU.  Although the end user has problems with photoshop it is not fair to assume PS will come up with the fixes.  Put the heat on MS and GPU maker. 

As customers want more features photoshop becomes more complex and requires more of the computer, its' hardware and software.  THis is just a cost of having the latest software, you need the latest computer hardware also.  I know ATI is still strugging to get a driver to work with Win 7 and CS6.  I would think Win 8 would be further down the list.  And onboard graphics like the Intel 3000 or even 4000 are probably marginal.  Intel is slow with driver updates, so the latest may be quite old.  And as seen with ATI and nVidia the latest is not always the greatest.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y, I appreciate what you're saying - but - I have installed CS6 on a brand new pc that I built specifically for photowork. However, I'm not blaming anyone - merely asking if there is a solution yet. It seems that no one from AMD/Adobe/Microsoft or even the local dog's home ()  has come up with a solution yet. (and yes, I have e-mailed them - not the dog's home though)

On a brighter note - I like CS6 - and the workaround is not causing me any probs (so far)

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 27, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

Put the heat on MS and GPU maker.

Alas, it seems we're reaching new lows across the board.

• ATI has clearly known about the problems for at least 2 major versions releases now.  They seem to be changing from "a company that cares" to something else.  The only feedback I've seen so far is "if you want professional performance buy a FirePro card".  I have personally reported problems and had them acknowledged, without any hint of a fix showing up in the next two versions.  They strike me, since the middle of last year, as a company in trouble.

• Microsoft pays less than no attention to people; it's been that way a long time.  You might ask, how can there be "less than no" attention paid?  They not only don't give a rat's *** whether the system works well for us, but they're actively degrading it, for what reason only God knows.  They seem to think they know better, and apparently want to rule the world with their twisted thinking.

• Adobe apparently still pays some attention to technical issues, though the wheels of progress sure seem to grind slow and hard there.  It's hard to name a recent "improvement" that hasn't had one or more "regressions" to go with it.

The world of computing is changing for the worse, and we are going to see more and more casualties.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 27, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Zottwalker

I don't blame you.  That's what happens when they can't release a decent driver in 5 months.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Zottwalker

I don’t think the problem has anything to do with Photoshop at all ... I used CS6 under Windows 7 and it was running smoothly and fine .. under Windows 8 the problem started and I have to use the work around and run Photoshop in Basic mode ... there is only one Company to blame and this is Microsoft ... they don’t give a damn what kinda crap they pulling out and think other companies have to go and try to work on their pile of ****.  Best thing is ... install Windows 7 back and you won’t have this problems  

Sent from Windows Mail

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to JurgenDoe

I was watching the problem flickering on and off and notice that it only happened when the mouse is moved or clicked with a selected tool so I am pretty sure that it is connected.  I remembered when I had an old software game (Homeworld by Relic) awesome game.  As the game progressed it started to flicker just like the problem in CS6.  The more ships and weapons and enemies the more it flickered the same.  I learned from other gamers that it is cause by the redraw rate of the processor.  Another area is the monitor’s refresh rate. Basically the ability to redraw/refresh is compromised the more that is going on (more complicated or busy the screen is).

There is one more are that is worth mentioning.  90% (mine included) of monitors are 60 Hz and more and more new monitors are 120 Hz which also give much quicker refresh rates as soon as I can afford one I will try one.  The new HD televisions are mostly 120 Hz.  A cheap 32” HD 120 Hz TV costs $200 - $300 were as a monitor 120 Hz is about $700-$800.  As soon as I can I will try some of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Zottwalker

for the flickering black screen, go to Edit>Preferences>Performence>-under advanced GPU processing settings-click "advanced">change drawing mode to basic.

that should fix it

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Any new solutions beside bypassing the problem by disabling GPU features?

I have a HP EliteBook 8560w mobile workstation with AMD firepro... and my Photoshop CS6 suck. I can't downgrade it becasuse I am in Adobe Creative Cloud program..

Vivo

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Aviv_Heilweil

see my previous post, bust before your one- might help

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi

I have a XFX HD5870

Are there any updates to resolve this issue?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Zottwalker

so, 7 months later and they're still "working on it".. typical adobe bs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 20, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to norway_bob

That's not really fair, norway_bob.

AMD (ATI), not Adobe, is responsible for the display problems with Windows 8 and Photoshop.  Specifically, AMD has been struggling to release good, working display drivers since around 8 / 2012 (when Catalyst 12.8 was released).  Honest!  They've really fallen on their faces!

The good news is that the current Catalyst 13.3 beta 3 display driver, which looks like it might reach release status soon,  works very well with Photoshop (I've been using it for a month).  It may solve whatever problems you're seeing.  Visit the AMD web site and download the driver for your particular system and video card, and look for Catalyst 13.3 beta 3, specifically.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

eh. after years of adobe's shortcomings in various of their products, their typical solutions is to say "we're working on it". certain issues they've been "working on" for the last couple versions of CS. i do agree with you that AMD has been slacking on their part as well lately, but i think the adobe is the main culprit here. not sure if you work with premiere or not, but adobe decided to completely cut out the customer base that uses AMD gpu's by not making it compatible with premiere. look up the mercury playback engine ordeal.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to norway_bob

That's what happens when they can't release a decent driver in 5 months.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2014 8:53 AM   in reply to Zottwalker

Hello Zottwalker

Try this link, it did help for me http://forums.adobe.com/message/4805487

I have: ati hd4850 windows 8.1 pro 64

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2014 3:00 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

What about the Intel HD 3000 graphic drivers ... the problem is still consistens and even with updates the bug of flickering is still there .. I had to uncheck USE Graphic proyessor to make PS work but now I can't use the 3D feature anymore

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points