Skip navigation
TheDBeck
Currently Being Moderated

Can I delete created presets and watermarks?

Oct 29, 2012 3:00 PM

Tags: #problem #presets #lightroom4

When I was first using LR I was playing around with a watermark for my pictures, as well as a watermark.  After I created the user preset and watermark, and also became more comfortable with the program and understanding what all settings meant, I wanted to edit them saving them under the same name, hoping to replace previous settings.  However all I got was a notice that "The name is already in use."  This then caused me to save the settings as a new preset and watermark.  I was just wondering if there was a way to delete those original presets that I am not happy with?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to TheDBeck

You can select an existing preset in the Watermark editor, then the same menu includes an option to delete that. Wherever presets can be saved in LR, there is generally (maybe always?) also a way to delete these, provided in the same place. Also (though exceptionally, not for Watermarks) there is usually a way to update a saved preset using current settings.

More generally, presets are just text files (".lrtemplate" file type) and the LR Preferences / presets tab includes a button which opens the location on disk where all the various presets subfolders live. Items within can simply be deleted from there... and also backed up, inspected or altered with a text editor, copied across to another computer, and so on.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 29, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to richardplondon

richardplondon wrote:

Also (though exceptionally, not for Watermarks) there is usually a way to update a saved preset using current settings.

You can for watermarks too, but like other presets that use a single pop-up, you have to select that particular preset, edit it so that the name changes to (edited), and then it'll let you update it.

Watermark Editor.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Thanks, that makes both more sense in specific terms, and also less sense (in overall interface terms).

Looking at the posted screenshot menu, the option has now been withdrawn  to delete the preset, if we wished to do so (which prompted the original query). So the steps we would now take to retrieve that menu option... are not apparent. Maybe we'd have to update the preset first before we could then delete it... which is IMO slightly odd logic.

Hmmm. Was it necessary for this menu to be so elaborately parsimonious? 

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Oct 30, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to richardplondon

The Delete option's still there... as long as you haven't edited the preset (or yes, if you update it first).  I know, took me ages to figure out the logic and how to get the different controls.  It works the same in all of those pop-ups, so filter presets, rename presets, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to richardplondon

I have a problem related to this...

I acidentally removed the files used for my watermarks, and now I cannot select the watermarks from the menu to delete them... I try to select the watermark from the dropdown menu, and any of the ones with missing files just close the dialogue box when I select them. When I reopen the box nothing is selected, and this occurs ad infinitum... I really just want to start fresh with new marks.. If I could delete them all it would be better than having all these useless marks..

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Jake

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to wako-jako

wako-jako: to delete watermarks, you can go to the location of your presets as shown here - http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroo m-4.html

There are various folders there for Develop presets, import presets, etc. One of these is "Watermarks" - your user-created watermarks are stored inside as structured-text files with the extension ".lrtemplate".

Just delete, using your operating system's file browser, whatever you don't want.

Or, if you prefer, you may be able to re-address the watermark onto some kind of graphic by editing the "imagePath = "xxxxx",

RP

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to richardplondon

Thanks for the reply! I haven't had time to try this yet, but I hope it works as smooth as it sounds like it should.

Sent via mobile

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points