Skip navigation
7pix
Currently Being Moderated

LR4.2 Black stroke won't print on HP Z3100

Oct 29, 2012 11:12 PM

After upgrading to OS 10.8, I can no longer print a black stroke around a picture in LR 4.2 on a HP Designjet Z3100. Am using the same presets that worked six months ago. A stroke of any other color will print, but not black. Works fine onother printers. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to 7pix

I have the same issue with my 44" Z3100ps GP Photo, but it is when I print from Photoshop CS5. I am running OSX 10.68 and since the last Apple/HP printer driver update this last Summer my printer will not print solid black strokes or borders around an image, yet the image prints perfectly.

I tried to roll back the drivers with no success. If I make a solid black rectangler file and try print it nothing at all prints. If I scribble in Photoshop with white paint brush in the middle of that same file the printer skips the left edge of the black rectangle and then prints the middle scribbnle and right egde of the rectangle folowing the contour of the scribble on the left.

Had me baffled and still does, the printheads are in good working order. I print large canvas photos with 1.5" black borders used to cover the sides of stretched canvases. The only way I have found around this issue is to add an inch or so to the canvas size all the way around in photoshop and make it white. That seems to fool the printer into printing the file with the full black border. Still this is not a real fix, but at least it keeps my printer running.

Let me know if you find a solution to this. HP support doesn't help as they only give support to in warranty printers. Maybe Apple could help with the drivers?

Lucas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 10:58 PM   in reply to ljstillz

Well, that's a lot stranger than I thought. And I must say that I resent having spent so much money on a printer only to have HP tell me that I have to pay them a fee to point out a problem with their software.

I have found that I can print an almost black line around my image. That is to say, if I add a tiny amount of color (for my purposes of a narrow keyline blue works well and is indisstinguishable from black) I can get that to print, but pure black, no.

I do still have the problem of the last pass of the printheads leaving an incomplete stripe at the end of the image. I think it is quitting one pass before it has laid down full density of ink.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 9:53 PM   in reply to 7pix

I've just acquired a Z3100 and I'm having the same problem, too.

I've narrowed it down to this bizzare circumstance: If "black" is the first thing the rasteriser sees, then the black, and any black touching it, goes missing, So, if you have a solid border around your image, it goes missing. If you have a dotted border, only the top border goes missing. If you put a tiny little bit of ink at the top left, like, 1% grey, then your whole border comes back again.

Alas, I've had this issue since I got the printer... a week ago. I'm running 10.7.5, and I've tried both the versioin 21.0 and 22.0 versions of the drivers. Happens the same way in every single app.

However, the previous owner has never had an issue... regardles of the OS version or driver version. So... I've not been able to narrow down the requirements for it to fail, yet.

I'll keep trying with various combinations of things... please let me know if you do a particular thing to solve it once and for all!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to 7pix

Found out the problem. The version 21.0 drivers (from the HP website) and the version 22.0 drivers (from Apple) have a rasterisation bug.

I managed to extract a version 20.0 driver from a time machine backup, and that works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to Chris Cogdon

Thanks for finding a solution and posting it Chris.

Chris Cogdon wrote:

Found out the problem. The version 21.0 drivers (from the HP website) and the version 22.0 drivers (from Apple) have a rasterisation bug.

I managed to extract a version 20.0 driver from a time machine backup, and that works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

You're welcome!

I've been unable to find an "official" version 20.0 driver to download. I'm going to spend a bit of time determining exactly which files need to be replaced and make those available. The Library/Printers/hp directory is aroun 500MB compressed; not ideal for distribution (Dropbox would kill me )

I'll also talk with HP (and possibly Apple, since they're distributing version 22) and see if we can't get the problem fixed the proper way, rather than having to downgrade (who knows what other bugs are in version 20)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points