Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cursor will disappear when over menue or palette quite often, slow performance

Oct 30, 2012 3:08 PM

Tags: #cursor_unvisible #cursor_disappears #sluggish_healingbrush #bad_performance

Photoshop CS 13.0.1 x64 via Creative Cloud

Mac Pro mid 2012 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon

ATI Radeon 5870 1GB

48GB RAM

Clean Install Mac OS ML 10.8.2

Nothing customized in PS so far...

My Cursor disappears when over Menue or Palettes quite often (10 to 50 times a day) - will come back when going to the dock  and back to Photoshop.

Today healing brush hangs and would not work proper.

(Only 18 from 37GB Photoshop reserved RAM used)

Photoshop only Program open besides Safari and Mail.

Photoshop is not in Scratch jet (120GB empty SSD that is not used - checked by the Info for that volume) - Efficiency 100%

System and Photoshop on Startvolume SSD 120 GB 60% free space

Workingfiles other SSD 240 GB 90 GB free

Scratch an SSD on its own 120 GB not used so far

The working file is 7216 x 5412 px, 16 bit RGB, about 50 layers and 12,5 GB uncompressed PSB.

The file is saved encrypted (FileFault 2) but in my understanding that should not matter when the picture is open in Photoshop?

Anyone some suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Inselfotograf

This is a known problem with Mt. Lion.  Apple is working on it supposedly.  Might google disapearing cursor mac. see what is said, and then send email to apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Inselfotograf

Here is an interesting note from a blog on dissapearing cursor in Mac OS.  Can you report back if this works for you or not?

From Blog:

I've had this issue for a while also but I think I've finally resolved it.  Looks like it may not be a Mac OS X issue but an Adobe Flash Player issue.  Updating to the latest version (11.4)  of Adobe Flash Player seems to have fixed it for me.  Below is the link to the Flash Player download page, for your convenience:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

The cursor will still disapper after a few seconds of inactivity when the video is in full screen mode but it will reappear immediately when you move the mouse.

Hope this resolves your issues as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Inselfotograf

I am am experiencing this issue as well and I feel your fustration.  I am wondering if it has something to do with my plugins.  I suspect that you may have a few installed too.  Any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to Inselfotograf

I have these same issues. PS 12, Wacom Intous 4 tablet. Mountain Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Downloading the latest flash player as you suggested, semi-resolved the problem for me.

Although I still lose the cursor over the pallettes when I initially change brushes, but, clicking into an area in the menu bar restores the cursor and everything functions as normal, until the next brush change.

I had my doubts about upgrading to Mountain Lion, and I have noticed quite a few annoying bugs with this OS.

Wish I'd stayed with Snow Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Inselfotograf

Have a similar problem.  Photoshop CS6, OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).  Cursor disappears, or changes to and gets stuck in one of the tools (often in the path/direct select tool).  I can still select a different tool by clicking in the tool palette, but the cursor does not change to the selected tool.

Strangely the problem fixes itself most of the time after a minute or two, have not been able to figure out what makes it revert to normal.  On only a couple of occasions did I have to shut down and restart PS.  One time I had to shut down and restart the system.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to Hartmut Kannegiesser

I'm wondereing if Apple are aware of the problem.
    If so, are they trying to remedy this really annoying bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to Inselfotograf

I'm having the exact same problem and it only started when I upgraded my system to OSX 10.8

I'm running the following

iMac 20"

Adobe Photoshop CS5

OSX 10.6.2

wacom intous 3

The cursors in Photoshop disapear constantly after hovering over palettes or menus. The only thing that brings back the cursor is hovering over the dock or restarting the app. My drivers and software are all up-to-date. I've tried repairing permissions and zapping the PRAM.

Any solutions Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to jason.rikard

10.6.2?  Do you mean 10.6.8 or 10.8.2?

If you really mean 10.6.2: go install the OS updates. Now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Sorry for the confusion. I'm on 10.8.2

my next resort is to reinstall Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

I find that if I slide the cursor over the dock ( dock on the left) it reappears.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

Hovering over the dock fixes it for me momentarily but soon disappears again. It's become part of my routine to hover over the dock every minute or so just so I can click on a tool or use a palate.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to jason.rikard

10.8.3 did not fix this for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to Tom Murray 1

Cursors disappearing in multiple applications is a well known bug in MacOS 10.8, still not fixed in 10.8.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Inselfotograf

This morning I installed the latest Wacom driver 6.3.5-3. After a few minutes of use, no disappearing cursor. Too soon to tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to Inselfotograf

Has anyone found any solutions that have fixed this issue?

I have found that my cursor disappears as I move from my photoshop window over to my panels, this requires I click on the desktop and then return to PS to get back to work. It has gotten to the point where it happens after just 3-4 times moving it back and forth.

I have also found out that I do not even have to do anything within the image window, all I need to do to get the cursor to disappear is move it back ond forth from the photoshop window over the desktop a few times and it just disappears, all with my wired mouse, Bluetooth off, wireless mouse off and Wacom Tablet driver uninstalled. Single screen no other apps running. Updated Flash Player as I have seen suggested.

This is far from a "caps lock" issue and incredibly frustrating as a long time PS/Mac user (PS3 and OS7)

I have been searching for an answer and can't find anything or anyone who can answer this issue. It almost makes me want to go back to film and chemistry.

I really would like to know how, or if, this can be solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to ljkuzel

As I've reported before, personally I hold this to be an Apple bug that manifests itself intermittently and not only in Photoshop but in other applications (Firefox, as an example) and goes at least to Tiger 10.4.11.

One of my two main working machines is a PPC G5 Quad that has dual bootable Tiger and Leopard startup HDs.

As a matter of fact, I encounter the bug in Firefox far more often on my Mac Pro Quad in Firefox 22.0 under Lion 10.7.5 than I do in Photoshop 13.0.5, where it only shows up once in a blue moon.

Can't speak to Mountain Lion, as I don't have a machine running 10.8.x.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to station_two

Seems that everyone's problems are a bit different, the common denominator being disappearance or erratic behavior of the cursor.  I posted about my issues back in December.  At the time I had bought a new iMac with the then latest operating system (OS 10.8.2) and a new version of Photoshop (CS6).  When I bought the iMac it came with a magic mouse.  Because the magic mouse caused a number of problems I decided a few weeks ago, to take the magic mouse off the system.  This miraculously and completely, and I must say unexpectedly, seems to have resolved my Photoshop cursor problem.

This is not likely to be the answer for everyone with the problem, but if you have a magic mouse on your system, you may want to try to deinstall it and see what happens. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Hartmut Kannegiesser

Hartmut Kannegiesser wrote:

This is not likely to be the answer for everyone with the problem, but if you have a magic mouse on your system, you may want to try to deinstall it and see what happens. 

I can confirm desinstalling the magic mouse in system prefs did not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to tim3308

I can confirm that this only happens to me in PS.

I can confirm that I turned off all other pointing devices than the one I was using at that moment (Wacom tablet, wireless mouse (batteries removed) and hard wired mouse), and the problem persists regardless of the pointing device.

I threw away my prefs for PS and it went away for about a month then returned recently, hence I can confirm that, in my mind, this is an ADOBE PROBLEM!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to ljkuzel

The disappearing cursor is a well known, widespread problem in MacOS that affects all applications.  On Apple's forums you can find people mentioning this problem in many different applications.

Apple is aware of the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points