Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 not showing save/print dialogs

Oct 31, 2012 1:44 PM

Tags: #illustrator #error #missing #save #hidden #print #dialog #doesn't_show

We are using the Creative Cloud version of Illustrator CS6 and seemingly at random, Illustrator exhibits the following behaviors:

• The Illustrator Options dialog box is not displayed during a save-as operation.

• The Save or Don't Save dialog box is not displayed when closing a file.

• The Print dialog box does not appear when printing a file. (similar to the MS Office quick-print - it still sends the print but uses last settings)

As you have probably already guessed, the second behavior could be quite disastrous.  This has been confirmed on four different machines, all Macs, OSX 10.8.2 with 12 - 16GB of RAM, plenty HD space, no unusal cpu activity.

I have been googling it for weeks now and can't belive we are the only ones experienceing this.  Any ideas?

Message was edited by: bradboutwell - Changed "creative suite" to "creative cloud"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 1:04 AM   in reply to bradboutwell

It's happening the same thing to me.  Illustrator CS6 16.0.1 and OS X 10.7.4 Initially I thought it was a font problem, but it's not.  Any news ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to bradboutwell

How did you rename this folder - I did it and my dialogs still don't show up and it seems to be only on the first file that you try to print or close. If you have more than one file open the second one always shows the dialog box - this is very frustrating and is keeping me using CS5 until fixed as I have oversaved files that I needed without realizing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to bradboutwell

Having this exact same issue with a couple of our clients, have tried the preference reset, but issue still occurs randomly. Both users on Illustrator v682, one on 10.7.5 and the other on 10.8.2.

There is no other info on this issue besides for this forum post, very odd. Any update on the resolution from Adobe, beyond re-spawning user prefs?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to bradboutwell

We are having the same problem randomly with Illustrator CS6 (16.0.3) on Mac OS X (10.6.8)

I have also oversaved files that I don't want to.

Adobe could you please fix this, it's very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to Curtpoe

We have the same issue on 3 of our machines very very frustrating as work has been constantly oversaved. I do expect more from Adobe especialy as these are not cheep programs. I have noticed that the problem does not occur on the same maching using a new user account, but im not prepared to have to rebuild every user account just to install a adobe program. we are running CS6(latest update) on Mac OSX (10.6.8)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to bradboutwell

I have the same issue with the print dialog not showing up sporadically, but I have yet to see a solution to it in any of the forums. Seems like a problem Adobe should have fixed already.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 2:30 AM   in reply to CCBGene

Update, Adobe care phoned me and tried to help bless them. As expected it involved resetting all my prefs and settings again (which i had already done time and time again) all this did was cause more grief as with many others in the print industry those settings are their for a very good reason.

In the end i was sent a link of all the possible causes.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-beha vior-user-account.html

Unfortunatly none of them solved my problem but it may help others. i resorted to IT compleatly wipeing the machines and rebuild the setup (which took days to fully compleate).

Great problem solved. Not!!!!! Bug is 90% gone the print/save/any dialog box still does it randomly a couple of times a day. I just have to hope that its not the save one i suppose.

Again dissapointed with adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to MARLOWCTOPS

I was hoping the 16.0.4 update would have fixed this... but nope, dialog boxes still disappear.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to MARLOWCTOPS

Update: problem is coming back getting more of a problem every day. So compleatly wiping and rebuilding all 3 machines, endlessly fathing with adobe support resetting and re setting up preferences did nothing but waste my time 2 other designers and our IT support, brilliant service not!!!! why has this not been sorted yet??? come on adobe pull ya finger out we have gone above and beyond what a customer should have to do the get a program to run as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to bradboutwell

Hello All

Same issue with 3 out of 5 computers at the company. OSX 10.6.8 - 2.66 GHz Intel Corei5 - 12 GB Memory running Illustrator 16 and latest upgrade.

Saving on close

Files not saving

Printing with no print dialog box

pdf made with no dialog box

Some menu items not appearing on first attempt

file link menu problems.

We will be returning to CS 5.5 until this issue is resolved. Can't take the chance of incorrect files going to the printer.

Hope it is resolved soon

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to bradboutwell

I can't take credit for this solution, I found it on a similar discussion board - (big thanks to tektraveler)

tektraveler wrote:

"I use Extensis Suitcase Fusion 4 auto-activation in Illustrator to manage and activate fonts.  Last week I disabled the Suitcase Fusion plug-in for Illustrator (I kept the plug-in for InDesign and Photoshop active).  Since doing that, the problem has gone away.

I have no idea why the Extensis plugin has such an over-reaching effect to cause this issue in areas not relating to font activation - but it does. Partial credit has to go to @Brano J. Svac because he mentioned "font management" in his post and it got me thinking.

You can disable the Suitcase Fusion 4 plugin using the Plug-in manager by doing the following:

1. Quit Illustrator
    2. Choose Suitcase Fusion 4 > Manage-Plug-ins (Mac)
    3. Uncheck the Illustrator CS 6 plug-in, you may be asked to authenticate.
    4. Click Done.

Looking forward to hearing if this helps anyone else.  If it does, we'll need to escalate to Extenis."

Give it a try, it solved the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to labelwi

Hello all,

This issue has also been reported in the following forums post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5267426

Extensis has logged a product defect (#44574) and will look to correct the issue in our Illustrator plugin as soon as possible.

Thanks for your assistance. I will follow up with our action plan once the Suitcase engineers have reviewed and assessed the resolution requirements.

Cheers,

Chris Meyer

Extensis Font Management Product Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to labelwi

Yes! This worked.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to FontMgmtPM@Extensis

Any word on when this will be fixed yet? I keep checking for updates and both my Suitcase and Illustrator are up to latest updates. I really don't want to disable the plug-in because that turns off auto-activation of fonts as well, which I use all the time.

Shot a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to bradboutwell

I think we're having the same issue, July 2013! I know my office mate is saving periodically, but when he closes, not sure if he's getting the dialogue box and assumes he saved it, but then we find out later, his latest mods didn't save Result: both of us getting our @$$e$ chewed this morning by a team lead who refuses to believe the software is the culprit...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to LadyBug62579

Hello all,

I wanted to let you know that Extensis is absolutely paying attention to this issue and are in the process of providing our customers with product updates as soon as possible. We are working on resolving this and a few other plugin based issues that have been exhausting both the Adobe and Extensis engineers. Neither team expected the issues to take so long.

Here is our tentative release schedule:

For those wishing to upgrade to Creative Cloud - Suitcase Fusion 5 will be available this week and will include Adobe Creative Cloud plugins, new features and other product enhancements. The saving/printing dialog issue is resolved including a few other plugin related bugs. Suitcase Fusion 5 will be a paid upgrade.

For current Suitcase Fusion 4 users - Extensis is planning to release a free update for Suitcase Fusion 4 addressing this and a few other plugin related bugs. I don't have the exact release date yet but expect it to be available for download within the next few weeks.

I will update this post once it's posted to our website.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Cheers,

Chris Meyer

Extensis Suitcase Product Team

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to FontMgmtPM@Extensis

Hi Chris,

We are experiencing this issue with UTC 3.3, is Extensis aware of this and also working on a fix for UTC as well?

**Edit - I I downloaded UTC 3.3.1 and the user is still having the problem with Dialogue boxes opening and then instantly closing. Or if sending to print, it prints without ever displaying the dialogue box. He is using Illustrator CS 6 and running Mac OS 10.7.5

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 2:03 AM   in reply to FontMgmtPM@Extensis

Whats the point its been 9 months and still no solution. Our IT dept had to resort to purchasing a creativecloud subscription to resolve the issue (what a con and a compleat waste of money) we had only just upgraded to CS6 at a hefty cost. Why are software companies allowed to get away with this? if someone stole money off me in the street it would be a reported crime but not if a big company releases a shoddy program thats known flaws compleatly render is unusable and unfit for purpose.

I dont care whos fault it is i just would have liked it to have been fixed professionaly and promptly like the adults they should be. People (Adobe,Extensis customers) rely on this software on a daily basis and dont apprieciate time wasters when we are paying way over the odds.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to MARLOWCTOPS

MikeyMcMaddog,

Yes there is a fix coming for this issue in UTS shortly (within the next few weeks).

Also since this thread concerns Suitcase Fusion users - both versions of Suitcase Fusion 4 and 5 address this issue already.

Downloads are available on the Extensis website. My apologies, it looks like I didn't add the Fusion v4 release date to this forum.

Cheers,

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points