Skip navigation
clear_viz_computer
Currently Being Moderated

Best Illustrator method to make a logo background "transparent..."

Oct 31, 2012 10:21 AM

Tags: #transparent #background #illiustrator

I have seen that there are several posts regarding "transparent backgrounds," but but they're difficult to follow. I apologize if this is old territory. If there is a solution somewhere already, I'd appreciate your pointing me towards it.

I'm using AI within CS5.5 but new to it. I am importing/converting a JPG file to vector format. The image is a logo with a large black circle boundry and a white opaque background. The background elements inside the boundry circle are also opaque white, and I wish to leave that as is. The edges of the circle touch the  boundries of the JPG file tangentially by about 100px or so on each side when the JPG is viewed at original size.

My objective is to make everything outside the boundry circle a "transparent" background. What would be the best/easiest way to do this within AI? Is there, for example, a tool that will draw a circle that I can expand to get on the edge of the black boundry circle, and then make everything outside it transparent?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Arnold

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 31, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

Arnold,

I am importing/converting a JPG file to vector format. The image is a logo with a large black circle boundry and a white opaque background.

The cleanest/best way to vectorize  the black circle, and most likely the other shapes, is to recreate, using the appropriate tools, thereby replacing the original raster parts.

You may use the raster image as a locked template, maybe on its own lower layer.

In that case there will be no outlying parts to get rid of.

But f you just wish to get rid of the outlying part, you may create a circle (with the Ellipse Tool) following the outer rim of the black circle, select that and the image, and Object>Clipping mask>Make.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

By Vectorizing it you mena you perform a Live Trace on the art?

if so then the wehn you expand the trace you can choose to expand and make a live paint group and fill the areas outside the boundaries you refer to with a fill of none.

If you mean by Vectorize you manualy traced that elements in the jpeg with the pen tool then the areas outside the boundary are transparent. Illustrator has a transparent canvas.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

Other than actually redrawing it so it *is* vector, JPG cannot have transparency. So if you want transparency in a bitmap format, you need to export to PNG 24-bit format and make sure the transparency checkbox is checked.

take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

Arnold,

What Mike said. PNG is the best raster format for that (GIF being more limited).

You should align the Artboard to the artwork, then export to PNG or Save for Web & Devices as PNG with transparency ticked, and make sure to set the right total size in pixels by pixels; you should also tick Anti-Alias (hidden away in the Image Size window).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

> when I view it within my JPEG viewer and my browser, the opaque white background is present...

Perhaps the white background is drawn by your browser / JPEG viewer? Not all software draws a chequered background.

Open your exported image with Photoshop to make sure, or perhaps place the image on top of a known background (not "solid white") and see if that shows through.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

The Anti-Alias setting is here

PNG_Options,jpg.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

Arnold,

As Theunis says, it may be the viewing application. You can also File>Place the PNG in a new document in Illy.

And as Larry says, Anti-Alias in Save for Web & Devices is renamed so you should use Art Optimized. I apologize for my forgetfulness.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

As mentioned above, you can also just place the PNG in Illy and put a colored rectangle behind it if you need to check transparency.

Glad you got it!

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to clear_viz_computer

You are welcome, Arnold.

Us.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...