Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

where is my html5 video insert button in dreamweaver cs6?

Nov 1, 2012 6:22 PM

Any suggestions?  Downloaded most recent CC version, and still looks like CS3

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 1, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to kievrus

Hi,

You can find it in the Insert panel selecting Media in the drop-down menu. Also you can try Insert > HTML5 Video or Insert > Media > HTML5. If you don´t see this options you may not have the latest update (12.1), to know which version you have: Application Menu > About Dreamweaver (in windows you mus search in File or Edir menu). If you don´t have the latest version: Help > Updates, .

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to marliton

I've got CS6 version 12.0-- there's a drop down for inserting Flash and some other types, but I just want to stick an MP4 in there.  I'll try the update to 12.1 as you say, but in the meantime--   Can you tell me the code for inserting an MP4 video?  I'm thinking it's somethig like using the <video> tag then, somehow, putting the link to the video inside it. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to kievrus

I did the Update, but only got to 12.0.3. I'm reading that those of us who bought the disk version and aren't on "the Cloud" are out of luck re version 12.1. So, I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way--> figure out the code for the <video> tag.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to calpolyjeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to calpolyjeff

The only thing about HTML5 <video> that isn't simple is all the different file types you may need to support the various browsers and web devices.  In addition, your server needs to be configured to support the MIME types necessary to play these files.

.ogg

.mp4

.webm

.flv (fallback for older browsers)

IMO, this is too time consuming for more than one video clip.  It also takes up a lot of server space.   For these and other reasons, I use PicklePlayer.  One file type (MP4 or M4V for web) works in all browsers and mobile devices.  Pickle also supports  playlists, poster frames and you can customize the player skin.

Pickle Player

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Of course there is the free thing: YouTube and Vimeo.

I don't have the same problem Nancy has with figuring out MIME format support and uploading multiple formats. But then again, I worked 30 years in broadcasting, so supporting video codecs is not something I mind at all.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to mhollis55

When you deal with 480 different video clips per month, this becomes a very big issue. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I don't deal with that many. And, I think that the folks at YouTube and Vimeo have a processing solution that, once a video is uploaded, starts a conversion on the server. I note that new videos are not always playable right away by HTML5 browsers (I'm thinking the mobile ones here). And so there has to be an automated service that will accept the video, post it and then generate code in the background to support the various codecs.

If you are doing that many, that might be a very interesting project…

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to mhollis55

I've looked into it.  But the client isn't ready to buy a dedicated streaming server yet. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points