Skip navigation
hradobe
Currently Being Moderated

Tags in Photoshop Elements 11

Nov 2, 2012 7:18 PM

Tags: #hrhelp

I just converted to Photoshop Elements 11 and have all my picture file organized using Tags, which has worked very well in previous version of PE.

Everything converted OK but the way PE11 uses Tags is quite confusing.

First, Tags are shown on the right side, but when you click on a group another menu of the tags pop up at the top of the screen, why in 2 places??

Second, In previous version I could choose a group of different Tags and they would all show up.  In PE11 if I pick a second Tag  the picture screen gives a message "No Media To Be Displayed".

Third, To move from one Tag to another I have to go back and start over.

Is this a glitch in PE11 or am I missing something in the logic of Tags?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to hradobe

Hi,

As soon as you select one tag to see the associated images, you end up in Advanced Search Mode.

A panel of four categories opens above main media grid. From there, you can select more tags and see the corresponding media.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to hradobe

hradobe wrote:

Also if I want to see 2 tags together it wont let me, I get a "No Media to be displayed".

If I understand well you want to select 2 tags and want to see all pictures with either one tag or the other ? In the new version, when you check 2 tags, the result is pictures having both tags. The combination operator is an 'AND', not an 'OR'.

To get more options on how to combine criteria, use the 'Find' menu with 'By details, Metadata'.

I don't like the changes in the interface either...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to hradobe

There has been no change in the 'Find / By details (metadata) menu. I just verified that the OR and AND options still work the same ???

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

I am in total agreement that the old system was much better.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 12:51 AM   in reply to snyder2201

snyder2201 wrote:

I am in total agreement that the old system was much better.

It depends on the profile of each user. I am quite sure the new interface was designed to please new users. That is true for the clear background, that is true for the combination of criteria. Statistics should show that the new division into views like people, events and places is quickly understood by the average user while the 'query' style combination of criteria is not.

Old users like me regret the old serious dark interface for color correction and the flexible, unobstrusive and powerful way to combine criteria in searches. There is nothing I have lost : I can still do what I was used to, but after a painful period of learning the new interface .

Let's face it : Adobe has chosen to please a wider amateur public. That helps maintening PSE in an affordable price and performance range to compete against new competitors. Advanced users still have the same power they had before. When they are no longer satisfied with the (amateur) changes, they now can convert to Lightroom (now affordable) and an older version of PSE. That's still a big change and learning curve !

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to MichelBParis

Absolutely the worst version ever. I upgraded for the mapping.  A 407 page manual without an index. I have yet to figure out how to move all my 'imported tags' into the proper columns.  'People" coverted well but everything else is in alphabetical order and I haven't yet figure out how to move them to Events or Places. All subcatagories of tags disappeared except for People. So I now have a huge list of 'imported tags', all out of order and with no subcatagories. The mapping - the reason I upgraded - does not read GPS coordinates.  Apparently I should hand place 26,000 photos individually. As long as I am on a rant, it is also bigger, slower and less responsive than ever.  Never again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points