Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open with camera raw is gone, any ideas?

Nov 3, 2012 11:56 AM

Open with camera raw is gone, any ideas thanks?

Screen Shot 2012-11-03 at 11.54.19 AM.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 3, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Probably not on a jpeg, tiff, or raw image.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to kevin4545

If you right click on a .png you will get the menu listed. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Click on Edit/camera raw preferences and make sure you have the correct setting in jpeg and tiff handling - not set to off.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Guess the next question is do you have camera raw operational on you computer.  Can you open any images in ACR?  Go to Photoshop File/open as and when the box comes up select an image and then change Open As box to camera raw.  Does that work?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to kevin4545

I see you have Bridge CS3, 4, and 5.  Does the right click option not work on any of the versions?

If not then it may be something with mouse or OS.  If it works on the other versions then the only other thought I have is to reset preferences.

Hold down Ctrl key and start Bridge.  Should get a reset window with 3 options.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 4, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt, you made a typo with .png you probably meant .dng ?

Kevin, you can only open Raw files that are supported with your version of ACR and converted DNG files. Also jpeg and tiff according to your settings. If a file is not supported by ACR the option will not show.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Now it looks like you are on a Mac. as you mentioned Finder in last post.  Figured you were on windows OS all this time.  Now  wonder you find me hard to read.  For future posts please state your OS in opening statement.

Do you have right click option in mac to open drop down box for open options?

Getting a little frustrated as you do not give any feedback.  Example I asked if the feature worked in CS3 and 4.  You said ACR works great.  So do they work or not?

Don't see what the apps folder has to do with anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

Just tried with CS4, same issue.

Then you are expecting something that does not work as you think it should.

If it worked before on CS4 and CS5 go back and see what you were doing.  If both programs won't respond like you think you must be doing something wrong, or expecting it to open in ACR when it is not meant to.

Hope Apple has fixed all the issue with Mt. Lion as it has had quite a bit of problems in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 6, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to kevin4545

The key may be my question in post #11

It shows you have a lot versions and even a zip file with a Bridge version in it.

Personally I would uninstall CS3 and clear your zip file but it should be possible to have multiple versions installed so that would not cause your problem.

I also don't have Mountain Lion myself (need a new MacPro for that but a brand new Mac Pro series is announced for next year so I have to be patient). Also don't have CS5 installed at the moment but your version shows as 12.0 while I believe it should say 12.1 but I can't check this myself.

Anyway, double check your plug in using the menu Photoshop in Photoshop itself, choose about Plug in and click on Camera Raw. See if it shows version 6.7 and check if there is only one version installed.

Also use Apple Disk Utility to run 'check and repair permissions' on your start up disk.

Then open Bridge CS5 and try again on a file you are sure it will open with ACR 6.7. If not restart Bridge holding down option key and choose refresh preferences and try again.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 6, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to kevin4545

However, how to you explain when I do a command i, in finder, it does not show up there?

It shows up on your system only you do forget ACR is a plug in and not a stand alone application. And the application containing that plug in is Photoshop. And Photoshop is showing many times in your list

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 6, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Ok, so then for right click, open in camera raw, it's back to resetting preferences?

That would be my first guess if you have checked al versions as per my (and Curt's) previous posts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 15, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to kevin4545

AND FROM THE FINDER:

Kevin, you keep trying to open files in ACR using the right mouse click menu in Finder and it will never show up. Use Bridge, select the file in the content window and then use right mouse click on a supported file.

Supported are Raw files according to the list provided on this page:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

And jpeg and tiff if you have set the camera raw preferences to handling jpeg and tiff files.

But this works only in Bridge because ACR is a plug in that opens in PS and Bridge. If you choose to the Open With Route you always open ACR in Bridge.

Setting jpeg and tiff to 'open automatically with settings' means that if you have previous applied ACR settings (the icon for it shows top right of the thumb) you are able to double click or use open to open the files in ACR using PS.

Setting the prefs to open jpeg and tiff always in ACR means you can use the same options for opening Raw files, but this is not recommended because opening a simple jpeg file in mail or whatever also opens the file first in ACR instead of PS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points