Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Laptop with pressure sensitive touchscreen?

Nov 4, 2012 11:35 AM

I want a portable setup for digital painting and photo retouching, both using photoshop. Is there a laptop PC that support pressure sensitive stylus on screen? I prefer not having to lug around an additional wacom tablet.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to avpromedia

I have also been looking for a list to compare the new windows 8 pcs available for touch screendrawing and unfortunately most manufactures don't seeem to be making the information about thier touch screens very transparent.

Sony's Vaio Duo 11 does have multi-pressure sensitivity. They are pricey($1199), and I have read some concern on the slide to open mechanism and haven't found one locally to play with. They show a pen in thier ads.

Samsung series 7 slate also appears to have pressure sensitivity, but I couldn't find info on whether or not it comes with a pen. Also pricey.

MS is supposedly coming out with something in January.

I'm still in the wait and see mode for a while-a list of all competing models using pressure sensitive screens and listing levels of sensitivity, included accessories, technology used (ie. Wacom) etc. would be nice. But I have yet to find one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:12 AM   in reply to avpromedia

I was VERY lucky to buy a HP laptop with touch-display made by Wacom, at only USD 200 (used, mint condition, lots of extras such as spare battery). The problem is, that this model is now obsolete, so even if you wanted to pay the price for a new one, it's not possible to find. But check ebay once in a while...

My HP laptop works PERFECTLY with Photoshop and Paint Tool SAI, and even though the pressure sensitivity is not as good as my Wacom Intuos digitizers, it is WAY better than ANY of those pressure-sensitive phablets and tablets I've tried from Samsung! And I can run my normal PC software on it - which counts a lot in my world. The screen is 12". The only drawback is the amount of RAM (only 2 GB) and I haven't been able to find any more RAM that fits in this laptop (the processor is OK, it's based on the first Intel Centrino platform). So in Photoshop, it lacks some power for bigger projects, but I use my laptop mostly for sketching and drawing purposes - and here, it's the perfect portable solution.

But maybe you can find what you're looking for here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/43799-what-laptops-have-wacom .html

- Check the post by "Agent 9" - he mentions a lot of wacom-enabled laptops.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to avpromedia

Sorry for spamming - I just found out what the Fujitsu T901 is all about. OK, it's pricey, but it's EXACTLY what you're looking for.

I'm actually considering upgrading my old HP laptop now, to this Fujitsu LifeBook T901... - but the price point is approx. USD 2500 where I live (Denmark) - even though it's probably cheaper where you live (everyone are cheaper than Denmark, because of our VAT which is 25%) it's still quite a mouthful...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to jakobdam

The t902 is the newer version running about $2000 US in the states. It's a bit more than I was willing to pay, but it does have the specs I've been looking for. I still like the idea of a detachable keyboard, and the Asus Transformer Book seems like the ideal tablet/keyboard set up, but it is yet unclear if it will have pen technology or when it will be released. Asus did not respond to my questions about pen tec and release date/price so I'm guessing they don't know yet.

Here is a list of tablets and their technology/specs/price I found helpful.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=A3E71B4BBE25C114!107&app=Exc el

I think I am leaning towards the Samsung Ativ 700T, at $800 less than the t902(smaller screen and lower specs might be a compromise I have to make), but they aren't really available to purchase right now so I'm not sure if they are having production problems...

Hopefully when the MS Surface pro comes out the other computers will also be available to make it easier to do a valid comparison.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points