Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is preventing me from editing this PDF in Acrobat?

Nov 4, 2012 4:50 PM

Tags: #acrobat_xi

I did some extensive editing of a form, and so chose to do it in FormsCentral.  When I finished my changes, I did a File - Save as PDF Form.  The outcome of this was the opening of Adobe Acrobat with the form.  This is the point that I added the third-party calendars to the date fields, and saved it.  When I open it now to do a change, I get this error message: "This is a secured document.  Editing is not permitted."  When I open it in reader, the calendars do not function.  What do I need to do to be able to edit my form in Acrobat?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 4, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to hvdmeer

Save As a copy and edit the copy

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to hvdmeer

Can you please share sucn an document so that we can look into the issue at our end??
    Thanks is advance!

-Sajal

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to S@j@l

To confirm, although there's no staff badge visible at the moment, Sajal is an Adobe employee so it's OK to send the document.

Please use the private message system to arrange the method of transfer if the file cannot be posted via a public URL.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to hvdmeer

You can upload the file to a public folder in Acrobat.com or dropbox and share the link.
    I think it works for you!

-Sajal

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to S@j@l

I'd like to mention that this has similarities with a problem in post http://forums.adobe.com/message/4823856#4823856 where Save A Copy does not remove reader enabling in Acrobat XI, but does leave the unchanged file behind as if it has.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to hvdmeer

I use Acrobat XI  on Mac.

I was able to fill out information on form from link in Acrobat.  The Calendar Button does not work.  You have to type in Dates.

One thing if the calendar is created with Active-X  forget that. Active-X was Banned by Apple as soon as it was create back in the 90's. Seems that Active-X can not be made safe and is far more dangerous than Javascript or Java. It  at the time it was created not even be snadbox. Several years a Massive loads of Spam and Malware was delivered using Active-X controls.  Even on Windows you have to turn it on manually the first time you open a New version IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to hvdmeer

Have you looked to see if there is a Javascript code to create a Calendar.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 12:42 AM   in reply to hvdmeer

Hi Hvdmeer,

My Observations : File is restricted for editing but I can fill the form and even after filling the form I can make the changes in the entries made by me while filling the form.
    I couldn't see the Calendar functioning but filling the form is possible.
    If I am not wrong you are using 'Edit Text & Images' tool which is giving the warning as the form is restricted to change the document content and that is expected too.
    To fill the form you can use 'Add Text Comment' tool in Comments pane.
    Try this and let us know if it works for you!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 10:59 PM   in reply to hvdmeer

Forms are not meant to be changed and hence when created, security setting assures that form can't be changed but able to be filled only. Think of a case in which user changes the form content before filling which is never desirable. So forms need to be created correctly instead of changing later.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to hvdmeer

If you are the author and have Acrobat Pro. You can save as a Copy which turns off reader rights and allow you to edit the form.

Then you have to reestablish reader rights.  so That receipient can only fill in the form.

To make more than a minor misspelling Then I would If you have set reader rights Make a Copy.

Then make changes in original Document. save PDF under different name.

the in your open PDF you intend to use locate Replace Pages.  Choose starting point and browser to the New PDF and choose to replace All.  Next you may or may not have to adjest where your fields line up. Is so , then click on each field in turn that needs moving and use arrrow keys or home keys to move up down, side to side until you have them lined up. Now Save Changes. and re-establish Reader Right if you had set them up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points