Skip navigation
JesusWashedMySinAway
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Photoshop CS5 crash when I try to use its 3D features?

Nov 5, 2012 10:53 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs5 #3d #mac #crash #repousse

The rest of the features do work perfectly fine.

Only the 3D features don't.

I'm working on a Macbook Pro Late 2008, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT and GeForce 9400M.

The OS is 10.6.8, Photoshop is at version 12.0.4.

The Apple Software Update doesn't show up any driver updates.

I tried 32bit mode, deleting caches (with an app called Onyx), deleting the preferences file and disabling OpenGL (which won't work, because I can't use the 3D features then).

I hope you can help me.

By the way, the 3D features worked for some time a year ago, when I first installed Photoshop.

Greetings ~ Phil

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 5, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

How much VRAM do you have on the video card?  Some features say 512 meg required.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

Photoshop does not do well with 2 video cards.  Disable the weaker of the 2 and try again.

You can't upgrade VRAM, but some say they do just fine with 256 meg.  Bet is it 2 cards.  Make sure you have the driver for that card initialized, not sure how to do it especially on a mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 4:42 PM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

Did you update to a newer macos since a year ago? Or did you inadvertently switch to low performance mode in the meantime?

First of all, switch between each video adapter, and test in Photoshop:

http://www.lancelhoff.com/switching-video-cards-macbook-pro/

Also, be careful with your 9400m model, since it seems that Nvidia's m9400 line at that time has heating issues, and it may fail when pushed.

Thus, tt is generally a better idea to work with your 9600gt, so set the performance to "higher performance". Of course, this will eat battery life faster. Hopefully this will solve your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

which exact version of PH are you running? The newest 12.0.4?

Also check this, and follow the steps. Reset your preferences as well for Photoshop.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/gpu-opengl-support-photoshop-cs4.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

Photoshop does not use CUDA, but mecury graphics accelerator.  

THe leading cause of crashes are 3rd party plugins and fonts.  If you can disable them and test to see if that works.  If it does then you can add them back in in bunches to see which one is the culprit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 7, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

JesusWashedMySinAway wrote:

I also updated the video card driver for the 9400M manually by using the "CUDA" tool of Nvidia.

There are no driver updates for the 9600M GT.

I didn't realize until you had repeated it twice...  You have two different video cards.

Photoshop has never worked well with two different video cards.  It's just an uncommon configuration that isn't well covered by OpenGL implementations.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It's not incommon at all! Most macbook pros since 2008 combine a low-power intel chip with a high-end amd or nvidia video card. So Photoshop would have trouble running on all those machines these last four years?

And not to mention all those windows power notebooks/laptops with dual options.

Arent't you confused with SLI configurations? The OP's machine either uses the low-end 9400M, or the high-end (at the time) 9600M GT. Photoshop should not have any trouble at all in this configuration.

Back on track:

I've read somewhere Photoshop CS5 may have issues with faulty fonts, and cleaning the mac system (especially font cache) may help.

Use Onyx for this: http://www.titanium.free.fr/index.php?sid=7a8c9dfaa882feef76fff04c2a6d c0c4

Repair permissions, empty the caches, remove the PH preferences (

username/library/preferences-->)com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

Also reduce your fonts to a mimimum. Turn off any fonts that you've added in the last year.

Then reboot your machine, and try again.

*oops, just read your original post - you already tried that.

PS why are you still running 10.6? Perhaps updating to a newer macos will work? And what about this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4286

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

Do not have to do anything special for mercury graphics, it will work it correct card and driver.

I know little about Macs, so please forgive if this is dumb question.  But have seem some posts where users are using abondoned rosetta system and having problems.  Since you have an older system are you using rosetta?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

Well, your particular model is said to have a high fault rate in regards to the graphics hardware (heating issues mainly) - have you tried running Apple's hardware test?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 7, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Herbert2001

Herbert2001 wrote:

It's not incommon at all! Most macbook pros since 2008 combine a low-power intel chip with a high-end amd or nvidia video card. So Photoshop would have trouble running on all those machines these last four years?

And not to mention all those windows power notebooks/laptops with dual options.

Arent't you confused with SLI configurations? The OP's machine either uses the low-end 9400M, or the high-end (at the time) 9600M GT. Photoshop should not have any trouble at all in this configuration.

I'm not confused at all.  If you'll note my experience with this forum, I can tell you that we see a fair number of folks reporting problems with systems that have dual video cards that are not of the same type.

Don't shoot me - I'm only the messenger.

You might want to try whatever settings are necessary to disable one of them and see what happens.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Apologies - writing often sounds harsher than it was intended.

The memory problem may cause problems is the vram is sharing the ram.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to JesusWashedMySinAway

(The 3D features worked before installing new memory.)

You installed new memory.

The hardware test reports a memory problem.

(The 3D features result in a crash.)

It seems clear that you should return the memory to the supplier for replacement under warranty.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points