Skip navigation
edwardcryer
Currently Being Moderated

Hoverscrub in Bridge for video subclip management

Nov 7, 2012 1:04 AM

Tags: #bridge #premiere #thumbnails #editing #cs6 #workflow #hoverscrub

I have a library of hundreds of subclips which I use regularly to create mood videos for clients, but finding a useful way to collate and organise them has been difficult, as I want to be able to assign multiple tags for each video. For example, a video may contain a girl framed in a close up shot, holding a camera, smiling, in black and white, shot at 60 fps. Keeping all this data easily accesible to sort through is difficult. Bridge is probably the obvious choice for this due to its ability for metatagging, but I find the Premiere environment much easier because of the hoverscrub feature and the ease of dropping it into a rough sequence. Hoverscrub in Premiere makes previewing videos effortless - Bridge's preview window is a little more difficult to use.

I guess the ideal workflow would be to be able to either save metadata to subclips when you export them in Premiere and have the ability to search through metadata filters in the Media Browser of exported clips, or for Bridge to adopt Hoverscrub. I've explored Prelude, but it is really only useful for ingesting footage and roughing a sequence for refinement in Premiere, rather than subclipping and tagging with metadata.

Is anyone else in the same predicament as me? How are other users dealing with organising their subclips?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to edwardcryer

Don't use Premier Pro so have no idea what hoverscrub is.  So are you saying keywords added in PP can not be read in Bridge and adding keywords in Bridge is awkward?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to edwardcryer

Looked at the clip for hoverscrub and read further explanation.  It looks like an interesting way to view video.  But think you are correct when you said Bridge is a photo browser, as it was made to reflect needs of Photoshop.  While video has been grudgenly added  to Bridge and Photoshop, in my opinion, it will always be a token effort.  There is something to be said for not going to the universal program that does it all.  It usually does not do anything real well.

It appears you can add keywords in PP and view them in Bridge.  Here is a copy of a blog to explain how.

The short answer is:

In your Preferences > Media Preferences

choose the checkbox for

"Enable Clip And XMP Metadata Linking Check this box to link clip metadata to XMP metadata, so that changing one changes the other."

This is from:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSAB1EDD0E-ADC2-4a10- B399-...

Not able to test this now....but you might need to put your keywords in to fields that are common to both XMP data and PPro Project data.

Remember there is some distinction about a FILE that lives in the file system versus how that file is used as a CLIP inside a PPro project. (for example having multiple differently trimmed instances of the same FILE as different CLIPS.)  So in some cases in the Project Panel there is metatdata that distinct to the PPro project versus that which is common to the File asset itself.

But as far as creating searchable keywords common to PPro and Bridge, this should be able to be achieved pretty painlessly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 10:49 AM   in reply to edwardcryer

Hello Edward,

I'm in the exact same predicament and am wondering what successes you've had.  Are you sticking to the workflow of rendering out your subclips and re-tagging everything in bridge?

I was excited when I'd initially heard Prelude referred to as the "Lightroom for video".  A Lightroom for video is exactly what's needed, but it doesn't look like that's really what Prelude's designed for.  As soon as I started adding in EVERYTHING to start sub-clipping and organizing with bins, it started to slow down to the point of being unworkable.

Premiere and Prelude have all the functionality you'd need on a project-by-project basis, but we need that organization functionality built into something that's taking a library based approach. 

Import / rename clips from card

ID the usable parts of clips

attach keywords/metadata to subclips

Then...

Easily search entire library of footage/subclips

Export defined collection into premiere.

I think the big breakdown is the "assumption"(?) that footage will only be used on one project....or that entire clips are usable and can be tagged/organized as such.

The reality seems to be though, that most footage needs to be organized into usable subclips, and that those subclips should be able to be oraganized and utilized in many projects.

Let me know if you've come up with anything...or how the rendering/bridge work around is going.  Thanks! Eli

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points