Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

eps import undefined error

Nov 7, 2012 5:36 AM

Have a simple traced Illustrator file of a logo. Copied and pasted into InDesign only to receive this message: eps import undefined error.

Tried deleting preferences. Checked the clipboard preferences in both applications and everything is standard.

This is CS6. Is this a bug? What is the fix? - Can't be saving & placing, in this case, due to the nature in which I need to work with & edit vector files.

Any more info about this issue?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to r_tist

It's not a recommended workflow to copy and paste from Illustrator to InDesign - simple shapes and objects can be and there's nothing wrong with doing it - I just don't recommend doing it.

Save the file to a .ai with a PDF compatible file and use File>Place in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Of course if you need to edit the shape in InDesign this doesn't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to r_tist

When you paste vectors from Illustrator you get editable shapes up to the threshold at which the drawing is too complex, at which point you get a PDF. I'm not sure what happens with .eps, but I suspect your drawing is just too complext to paste all at once.

I've gotten past the complexity limitiations in the past, just to demonstrate that it could be done, by copying the drawing in chunks, pasting, and reassembling in ID. I also don't recommend a copy/paste workflow. A really complex vector can cause significant slowdowns in ID, as can lots of less complex drawings. We had a case here a year or two ago where all of the illustrations in a book had been pasted in as vector objects. It took over an hour for me to open the file here before I could even look at it. I've also found that every time I've used locally editied vectors in ID I've regretted it later because I end up wanting to reuse the assets in other work, and a placed Illustrator file suddenly becomes much easier to maintain.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to r_tist

Some illustrator graphics are too complex to copy and paste to InDesign. InDesign has some vector capabilities, but it is not a program for editing complex vectors, InDesign is a page layout tool and it's best used for that.

I still recommend that you place a link rather than copy and paste. You can always open illustrator again to make edits.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution, nor have I heard of a better solution to this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to r_tist

I've just worked around the issue by rasterising the image in illustrator at the size I need, then copying and pasting into indesign.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to Kwray2002

copy/paste raster data is not a good workflow. All you get is the RGB screen preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2014 5:19 PM   in reply to r_tist

This forums is close to dead, but sense I found a solution that worked for me and wasn't on here I guess it wouldn't hurt to help. When i saved the illstrator file as an .ai than copy and paste it worked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points