Skip navigation
urmeli3
Currently Being Moderated

Files are accidentally deleted

Nov 7, 2012 7:52 AM

Tags: #problem #deletes_files #lightroom4

Hi everybody! I use LR since version 1, now I am using LR 4 with Mac OS 10.8.2. Over the years I got familiar with using the keyboard for navigating and editing. Over the last months, something strange occurred regularly: I delete my best photos directly to the trash for an unknown reason. Usually I discover this when I try to switch back to them or see the trash filled. The images are not only removed from the catalogue but also from their directory. There is no confirmation message.

I have no idea what shortcut I (accidently) hit:

It is not

• backspace
  • cmd + backspace
  • alt + backspace

What can it be? I usually flag unwanted photos and delete them after a second review with cmd + backspace.

Thank you for your help.

Christoph

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 26, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to urmeli3

Christoph, it sounds like you may have some shortcut assigned by accident to the keyboard. Check in System Preferences/Keyboard.

Do you have any shortcuts assigned??

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to urmeli3

Did you restart Lightroom and your computer??
    I have no other ideas I'm afraid as I have no shortcuts either! There is an instant delete unpublished command "Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete" which will delete from collections as well with no warning.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to urmeli3

Christoph,

I cannot reproduce this behavior on my Win 7 64-bit.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 2, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to urmeli3

Are you pressing shift then pressing shift then pressing L?  Or holding them down together?  I've tried every combination I can think of on 10.8.2 and I can't reproduce it.  You could check System Preferences > Keyboard - I've had situations in the past where I've accidentally remapped shortcuts.

Other than that, what language OS and LR version?  Perhaps it's a specific combination.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to urmeli3

Hallo Christoph,

Do you run LR in German or English?

Do you have a translated strings text file, which remaps LR shortcuts to a German QWERTZ-keyboard?

I run LR in English with a German keyboard, and have created a file, on Win7 in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings.txt

If you run LR in German, you would have a folder ... \Resources\de.

What is in there? If you find a txt-file, have a look into it, if the letter L may be wrongly mapped (L for "löschen" maybe???)

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 4, 2013 12:19 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Cornelia-I wrote:

Do you run LR in German or English?

Do you have a translated strings text file, which remaps LR shortcuts to a German QWERTZ-keyboard?

On my wavelength yet again Cornelia!  That's exactly what I'm thinking.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

On my wavelength yet again Cornelia!  That's exactly what I'm thinking.

No wonder at all !

Since I claim you as my primary LR teacher, thanks to your wonderful "Missing LR FAQs"...

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to urmeli3

Hi Christoph,

I know that Mac Users generally like to de-&re-install applications very quickly.

In proceeding so you would hope that

Macintosh HD / Applications / Adobe Lightroom 4.app / Contents/ Resources /de.lrproj / TranslatedStrings.txt

would get replaced by a new-original one. Which you claim could not make any difference, since you had not touched the file yourself.

As others have indicated, you may have general Mac shortcuts outside LR, which may cause this side-effect.

You wrote in answer no.9: "There are just a few individual shortcuts for other applications at all."

Would you mind if you would first try to disable them temporarily, then redo your test in LR on some dummy images, which you may loose without regret (e.g. some export to jpg or original added to catalog while doing so)?

Do I understand correctly, that you can use the letter L to dim the background lights once-dim a bit (ok), twice-dim to black (ok), third time - lighten back up (not ok, because one or several images are splash-deleted, so removed from catalog as well as HD to trash bin) ?

What about the pressing of shift now? Any difference if you are in Develop module (I use the dimming usually to finetune my crops) or somewhere else?

How many images get deleted - just what you had selected at the time?

Of course you could just reinstall (make that a fresh download from Adobe, 4.3?) and then try your luck. If it is a side-effect of other short-cuts it will probably not help.

Good luck, Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to urmeli3

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for sharing the resolution to the mystery. So it was TextExpander creating odd input to LR like keyboard entries.

Should you want to fill titles and caption metadata, it might even have some use to leave it enabled, although LR is also good at auto-filling from last entries.

For further Review by Adobe you could post a question here in this other forum:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points