Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

application window size.

Nov 7, 2012 10:36 AM

this is on a Mac and I'm not using the aplication frame.

that said. In the past the size of the window always used to stay the same size as whatever it was when the application was shut down or the last window was closed. Now when you open a new doc or a previous doc it takes up the whole screen and I have to grab a corner and make it smaller. Is there a setting I'm missing? Or is this a new behavior?

Buko

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 7, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to Buko .

Can you try trashing your cache? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 8, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to Buko .

this is a new install on a new computer so I really doubt that the file is corrupted.

Did you still try clearing your cache?

sounds to me that either you do not know the answer

I didn't say that it is the answer. We're virtual - don't forget that. The only way we can help you is a step-by-step troubleshooting. If you did try the previous method but if hadn't worked, I'd have obviously posted other solutions for you. This is a case-to-case scenario.

If you still think you need clarification, post a screenshot of what you see on your screen to help us help you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 9, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to Buko .

Can you please give your definition of 'fullscreen'?

I'm on CS6 for Mac.

Here's how it opens by default for me.

Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 1.02.31 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 8, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Also, if you dont have the Application Frame enabled, it may open your 'document' window to a bigger size that it may go underneath the panels to the right (in my screenshot) in which case you can try hitting the Green resize button on the document window (not necessarily have to drag and resize all the time) to see if that returns your document to normal.

Otherwise one option I could suggest to you is to enable application frame.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 9, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to Buko .

You do know that even without Application Frame enabled, you can still choose whether you want to open your document as 'Tabs' or not, right?

Preferences > General > Check fo 'Open documents in tabs'

Good luck.

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Buko .

I am experiencing the same annoying issue! I have been forced to move (temporarily, I hope) to DWCS6 with a recent Mac update to Mountain Lion. I should not have to keep manually resizing a document every time I use it because it opens in full-screen size by default. This will waste hours of production time as I deal with dozens of pages at once and hundreds or thousands of pages over the course of a business year. Just because a file came from another source doesn't mean it doesn't have a pixel specification (or other obvious size indicator). Even if it doesn't have such an indicator, if I save a file at a particular window dimension I do expect the application to remember it, opening it the next time at those same dimensions and opening subsequent windows at that dimension unless I specify (or save again) at a different dimension. DW's apparent default to opening all files in full-screen mode is a very poor workflow and business practice.

I certainly appreciate the convenience of template window dimensions being available, but I don't need or use them for most of my work.

Surely there is a way to overcome this problem. Is there a preference to set a default size in specific pixels to which a new file--or an existing HTML file that was never opened in DW before--will open? Remember those dimensions the next time the file is opened and all subsequent files until another specification is selected? Is there a way to instruct DW to acknowledge/respect an existing HTML file's page size specification when it opens it?

thank you so much!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Buko .

At least, it's an unresponsive place! :-) Have you tried the Dreamweaver Club? http://www.dreamweaverclub.com Just starting to search there myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to Buko .

Long-delayed follow-up: there is no solution. Full-screen document window is the default and cannot be changed by the user. You may find a tolerable alternative size using one of the workspace definitions in the drop-down menu (Window->Workspace Layout->). If you define a new (custom) workspace, it will not change the full-screen document window--only the appearance and position of panels, etc. Some have offered a work-around manipulating the application frame (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4694438#4694438), but that isn't always the best solution in terms of workflow.

I simply will not be able to build my 900-page web catalog this summer using Dreamweaver--I often have eight or ten web pages open at once, and would spend more time sizing and arranging windows than is available in the production schedule! And I certainly won't be able to use DW for my major site redesign coming shortly thereafter. I will probably have to find a Mac still using Snow Leopard to run GoLive or try a different product (maybe Freeway).

I have filed a feature request (http://adobe.ly/DWBug) to allow complete and permanent user control over default document window size and position, as well as the ability to turn on/off every panel, palette, and bar. I hope every frustrated CS user does the same!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points