Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing illustrator pdfs into photoshop sometimes won't allow me to open and check resolution?

Nov 7, 2012 2:28 PM

Here's the scenario:

Customer sends me an illustrator file with an embedded image. I need to check the resolution of the image to see see if it is high resolution enough for print. I delete all art but the image in illustrator and then save that file as a pdf with the illustrator default.

I drag that pdf file into photoshop where I get the "Import PDF" dialog box. I know if I select the "Pages" button, then the resolution and color that appears in the dialog box are not the true specifications for the image. I have to select the "Images" button and open the file from there HOWEVER sometimes this option is not available and the "open" button is grayed out. I have yet to figure out why this happens on some of the pdf files I've saved from Illustrator.

This is the only way I have found to check resolutions on embedded files where I do not have the actual linked graphic. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to Rice14

Just check the resolution in Illustrator instead of exporting a PDF to check in Photoshop.

If the image only is selected then the resolution is displayed in Control bar.

It may be in a nest of groups so either double-click repeatedly on the image until you've drilled down to it or select it in the Layers panel where the disclosure triangles will give access to it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to Rice14

Sorry for not noticing this thread back in November.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points