lukinhasbu
Currently Being Moderated

Prevent Acrobat from splitting text elements after saving

Nov 8, 2012 9:14 AM

Tags: #text #splitting #elements_download

There's a very annoying thing in Acrobat that I would like to disable:

This is my "Table of Contents"

Untitled-2.jpg

As you can see, virtually each line is a different text element. But when I first made it, I had made it as single element, I mean. I've created ONE text box, and I did like:

<enter> = Pressed Return, to jump a line

Capitulo 1: Introdução <enter>
Bem vindo! <enter>
<enter>
Capitulo 2: Familiarização<enter>
Conhecendo seu website<enter>
A pagina "Portfolio"<enter>
<enter>
Capitulo 3: Painel de administração <enter>
And so on

You know? I didn't create a element for each line, as it is in there, because now if I have to add one line somewhere, I will have to move each element, one by one, and that's what I was trying to avoid when I tried to do them all in one single text box...

How can I disable this feature of splitting the text into different elements when they have a space between them?

PS: It came out splitted after I saved and closed the document. While I was editing it, it was fine...

I hope I made myself clear o.O
Thanks!!! :]

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to lukinhasbu

The first thing is to say that editing text in Acrobat should be a desperate last resort. It is there to fix errors where you have lost or destroyed the original document, or where OCR makes an error, or a phone number needs correction. Text flow (moving down text when more is added) is an especially big problem. If you find yourself wanting to make regular text edits to a PDF, then you probably should look again at the whole idea of your workflow.

Acrobat does its best to make text editing possible given that PDF is singly unsuited for this. To help you it analyses the page into text blocks and offers them as text elements. But these are not stored as part of the PDF, they are just guesswork. Each time you edit, it does the guesswork all over again. You cannot control this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to lukinhasbu

Well, I'd have to say, absolutely anything but Acrobat. And I don't mean to go and find a better PDF editor, because I don't think there is one.

The beauty of PDF is that it's easy to make anything into a PDF (but hard to make a PDF into anything else). So you might use InDesign, if you want a high-end tool, but Word is the choice of millions. You aren't limited to Adobe products, because you can "print to PDF" from anything which prints. Acrobat will help you turn the Word document into a PDF, and it can keep links, make bookmarks, and do other things. So you can create an interactive PDF, which you can't do with most "print to PDF" solutions.

If you find yourself tempted to use Acrobat to edit the file... think again. Change the original, even for a one word correction, and remake the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Actually up until Mac Acrobat XI for about 15 years Acrobat hasn't been able to keep MS URL Links (mailto or URL) Hot you had to recreate them and even recreated they didn't show Blue and underlined.  Adobe told the the tale that Mac Office didn't have the proper hooks to create links. Yet, Microssoft Documents using the same code to create document taken to PC and Run through PC Version PDF created the links were active. So many times it was proven that they were wrong. Finally XI will have OFFice Documents with the URL active.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 10:22 PM   in reply to lukinhasbu

lukinhasbu wrote:

hmm, what do you suggest then? I'm craeting a User Guide in PDF, what programs should I use?

Ideally, you should be creating long documents in Microsoft Word or Corel Wordperfect and then convert them into pdf files as appropriate.  Both these programs have the facility to Save As pdf file but you can also print the file to a pdf file in the usual way.

Hope this helps but please post back if you have further questions.  We are all here to help you to get maximum benefit from digital products.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

You can also use Open Office to create the document. Open Office even allows you to save as a PDF, though using the Acrobat tools to get the PDF may provide better results.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points