Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing photos (from iphoto) in PSE 11

Nov 8, 2012 9:17 AM

Tags: #11 #external #editor #pse

I've recently upgraded to PSE 11 from PSE 10. Previously, when I click edit in iphoto, the photo that I want to edit automatically opens up in PSE 10 and I can do my edit rightaway.

However, the photo does not open up automatically in PSE 11 now. My computer will launch PSE 11 but I have to manually load the photo for editing.

I've done the necessary settings in iphoto (i.e edit using external editor) but it's still not working like it used to.

Is this a change in feature in PSE 11 or I'm missing something here?

Appreciate all advice and tips on this.

Thank you.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,810 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to claw406

Make sure you are linking in iPhoto preferences to the app in support files and not an alias.

MacPSE11Editor_png.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to claw406

I have just downloaded PSE 11 and had the same start problems as you. However, now that my photos are appearing beautifully in the PSE Editor I still cannot manage to drop the edited version back into iPhoto. I can only save the edited photo into a new file which then appears in the finder window. I should be really grateful if you could tell me step by step how you save a photo you have edited in PSE  so that it appears back in iPhoto.

I am a brand new user of PSE!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to chabetha

If you see the Save As window, you are not making a version in iphoto. Go to the PSE editor preferences>Saving Files and set On First Save to save over the existing file. Then save, not save as, and iphoto will remember your last saved edit +original.

Or you can Save As and change the name, format, or whatever, then import the saved image to iphoto as a new file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you for your help. I followed your instructions and the edited photo appeared in iPhoto but not the original. When I clicked on "edit in iPhoto" a message said this photo cannot be edited as it has been edited in an external editor. It seems I still have not got this quite right because I thought that if done correctly the photo should never leave iPhoto. I should be very grateful for more help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to chabetha

In iphoto, for any edited photo (no matter where you edited), to see the original, select the edited photo and go to Photo>Revert to Original. iPhoto remembers your original, but versions in iphoto don't work the same way the do in PSE, at least not when you use an external editor. iPhoto assumes that if you want to use another program for editing, you want to use that other program for editing. If you want to use iphoto instead, you would need to revert it. If you want to have both available, the original and PSE edit, some versions of iphoto automatically send a duplicate for editing, but I don't think the latest version does, so make a duplicate in iphoto and send that to PSE.

An external editor is by definition external --the photo left iphoto to get edited. The external editor mechanism merely lets you  get your edited photos back into iphoto again automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you so much for your help and comprehensive explanation. This has been a problem to me for a long time and now at last I can start learning to use PSE 11. I really do appreciate your help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to claw406

I have looked everywhere I know to fix this problem and haven't been able to. But, I'm also a new Mac user. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can't get my iphoto images to open in PSE11 by opening the editor from iphoto OR by opening the image from PSE11. The only way it works is by importing my images into the organizer first. I don't like doing it that way because it imports ALL my images and doesn't let me select which images to import. Can anyone help??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to ash_b1013

What part are you stuck on? Can't find the iphoto preference? Can't find the PSE folder shown in 99jon's post? You don't need to use organizer at all unless you want to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points