Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge Help | Mini Bridge

Nov 9, 2012 5:06 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Community Help

Why can't I view Folders in the thumbnail area of MiniBridge? Can't find the View option.  Instead I keep getting "nothing to show" messages.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 9, 2012 5:19 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

Why can't I view Folders in the thumbnail area of MiniBridge? Can't find the View option.  Instead I keep getting "nothing to show" messages.

Mini Bridge only shows thumbs of files, not folders. There is a navigation panel at the left (pop up menu to choose from, if you wish you can navigate through folders inhere. Personally I think they screwed Mini Bridge totally in CS6 and some people seem to think that Mini Bridge is a small version of Bridge.

If you keep in mind that this is not the case and then use regular Bridge first to create a collection of the files you want to be able to choose from, then use Mini Bridge and point to this collection there is some way of using it in somewhat helpful way that might save you a bit time.

But as said, Mini bridge is not a replacement of Bridge, it just is meant as an easy way to access files from in PS without the need to keep switching between applications.

However when you don't have done a pre selection in Bridge you will soon find out that navigating through folders in MB is by far not as easy and fast as it is in Bridge itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to AnneMarie Concepcion

Turn on Show Navigation Pod (and Show Toolbar) from Mini Bridge panel menu and folders will be listed on the left side or at the top of thumbnail area.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to Community Help

hi there, i totally agree with anne marie, after LOVING mini bridge in cs5, i am very disappointed by cs6's version.

having a large library of psd files that are sorted into large list of categorical folders, it was hugely productive to be able to click in the main preview window of mini bridge (where you could see thumbnails of folders OR jpgs/psd, start typing the first few letters of the name of folder i wanted to access to be taken to it, hit enter to go into that folder, and view thumbnails of the psd files within, then drag a psd as a photoshop smart object into my project. essentially it appears that mini bridge in cs5 worked just like bridge's 'compact' version, although neatly within the photoshop workspace. perfect.

now, because i can't see folders in the main thumbnail area, i have to use the  navigation pod above it (which i used to have minimized in cs5) which does not support typing to get to a folder (which means that i have to scroll down the looooong list of folders to get to the one i want), i tried using the 'search' function, but it only searches files, not folders, mini bridge is pretty much useless to me now, and takes even longer than using finder to get to an image i want to use. i know i can use bridge but i find it really annoying going between the two now when cs5 mini bridge was pretty much perfect for this.

not only that, but when i drag a psd into my document now, it is automatically turned into a rasterized layer instead of a photoshop smart object as it did in cs5. also devastating to my particular workflow. is there a setting im missing that i cant find??? ive googled it to death and although ive found others with this problem there doesnt seem to be a workaround. seems like being able to type to get to a folder a stupid omission to make, surely im missing something obvious???

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 22, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to kimmo24285

not only that, but when i drag a psd into my document now, it is automatically turned into a rasterized layer instead of a photoshop smart object as it did in cs5.

Although I still keep with my earlier statement about the bad version of CS6 MB this is something I don't experience. If I drag a file from MB to a document and hit return to place, it still is a SO instead of rasterized. I can do so with a flat and a layered PSD file. To be sure I just tested it also with a tiff, a png, a jpeg and even a dng raw file but all are placed as a SO.

Usually I have a dedicated workspace for working with MB and have it as a separate panel above my app frame (work on a Mac). If it is a docked panel you can't resize the thumbs and instead of a docked panel that only shows a filmstrip as a separate panel whit resizing thumbs you also can create multiple rows for a better overview.

BUt also for testing I tried it as a docked panel and instead of my usual collection workflow I tried to find the files using recent folders. From here I also had no problem in drag and drop files on a document in PS and after hitting return see it change to a Smart Object.

Maybe a reset of the preferences for Bridge and PS might be helping you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points