Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements 11 Organizer failed during folder / file move

Nov 9, 2012 10:38 AM

Tags: #problem #organizer #11

I have a large image collection, in excess of 40,000.  I'm running on a PC with Windows 7 and all updates installed.  I just purchased PSE 11 to replace PSE 10. After installing PSE 11 I converted my catalog.  That seemed to go OK.  At that point I discovered that my C: drive was almost full so I decided to move my image collection from its C: drive location to an external hard drive that had sufficient capacity.  In order to ensure the integrity of the catalog I decided that I should use the PSE 11 Organizer to move the files.  This would allow the Organizer to update the location information for the files as it moved them, although it was clear that this would take many hours to complete.  So, using Organizer I did a "drag and drop" of my image collection's root file from the C: location to the external drive which happened to be the J: drive.  Organizer appeared to be running properly so I left it to continue overnight.  The next morning I discovered that only about 2/3 of the files had been moved.  There was a very cryptic message that said the opertion could not be completed because of "...possibly unsupported files types, files with read only attributes.." etc.  I did not write down the actual message and it did not tell me where in the transfer the failure occurred.  After doing some detective work I discovered that many folders and files had been copied to the J: drive that were not appearing in the Organizer catalog and consequently were not being displayed.  Some folders had only a portion of their files copied.  Fortunately, the files were still visible and cataloged on the C: drive.  I did look at my files on the C: drive and there were some that for what ever reason had read only attributes.

 

I don't have a good guess as to what was actually the root cause of the problem, but here's how I think the file movement should happen.  The selected file, files, or folders should be copied to the specified destination.  At that point they should be added to the catalog, then the files should be deleted from their original location and the catalog updated accordingly.  If an original file is read only then it can't be deleted but the attempt to delete it should be reported as an inability to delete with no consequences imposed on the files that have been placed in their new location.  The "problem" should not be promoted to the status of a serious or fatal error that causes only partial completion of the overall operation.

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Bill Junk

    What is the end result of this operation? That is are all files present on your C:\ drive or on external drive or they are scattered at various locations (across system drive and external drive). What is the issue that you are facing?

    For moving selected files, I would recommned to use 'File->Copy move to removable drive' option over drag drop in folder tree view.

    In case you want to migrate to new OS/Machine/external drive, I would recommed to use 'File->backup' operation followed by restore operation.

     

    ~Andromeda

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Bill Junk

    Bill Junk wrote:

     

    I've seen a couple postings in the forum that related to catalog conversion failures and suggested that they could be avoided by running in administrative mode.  When I did my conversion is was not in administrative mode and it's certainly possible that there were files with restrictive permission settings that screwed things up.  It's also fairly likely that the catalog itself had some issues that were not detected or fixed by running a catalog repair.

    That's something I had the opportunity to test today : after a fresh install of my second copy of PSE11 on another computer (Vista), I first restored without problem a PSE11 backup from the other computer (XP). Then I tried a restore for a catalog from a PSE6 version on the second computer. The conversion failed the first time and worked the second time when run as administrator. This time, I don't think there were file types problems, since that PSE6 catalog had been restored successfully on a PSE10 version some months ago. I really don't understand that 'administrator' problem, since all my files are situated in a second internal 1 Tb drive with full access for my account ?

     

    I am not sure about the details of your case, but I understand you have restored exactly the same tree structure in a new J: drive. Your catalog is always accessible in its original location.

    In that case it's possible to simply create a copy of your catalog (a simple copy of the folder containing the database catalog.pseXXdb - to be found in the help menu, system info). Then you need a sqlite database management tool (I use the add-on sqlite manager in Firefox) to simply edit a single record in a table containing the identification of all drives known to the catalog. You simply edit the letter and the serial number of the drive (DOS command VOL:).

     

    I had a case where I had a catalog and all the media on an external drive. That external drive was assigned a different letter in different computers. Either I used the above solution, or I had to reassign drive letters in one of the computers.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points