Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Working With SWF?

Nov 10, 2012 4:19 AM

Hi Guys

A client has asked me for a short movie I did for them as a SWF file. Is that possible somehow? I can't see a pre-set format. If it's not possible direct from Pr, is anyone aware of a work around?

Regards,

Graham

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to glaustin

Normally those files come out of the Flash program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to glaustin

Sorry, no.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Sure. No problem. Easy as can be. Seriously.

If you do not have Flash, download a trial.

Export the movie out of Premiere Pro as an FLV file.

Create a new Flash project. Set the stage to match the video frame size. If you are using the "Essentials" workspace, the properties for the stage are over on the right. You will likely end up adjusting the size of the stage later to accomodate the controls on the skin you choose.

Under File\Import select Import Video. Find it on your hard drive, make sure to select "Load external video with playback component" and click Next. Select a skin you like and click Next. Click Finish.

Adjust the stage size to accomodate your skin.

File\Export\Export Movie

Give it a name and save it.

That's it. Done. Simple. And relatively fast.

I know. You are looking for the catch. There are a couple. One is that you might decide you need to buy Flash because it is a handy tool. If so, consider the Creative Cloud like I did. I have almost every software program Adobe makes for one low price.

Another catch?

There are so many choices for skins that your client might drive you crazy if you give him too many choices. So, I suggest that you ask your client for an example of the SWF he liked so you can see what skin you should probably use.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to glaustin

Take a look at 'AVS Video Converter'

It will convert a file to SWF. amongst many other things.  (Very handy to have this cheap app in the toolbox BTW)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to glaustin

Security settings are different when playing locally vs from the web. That is usually the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to glaustin

I am away from my PC right now but I basically remember that you may need to provide another file for it to play right. That file is probably in the folder where you first exported the file out to.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to glaustin

Sorry. I am still away from my computer. Try looking in the help file for flash for skins

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to glaustin

Is there an html page in the folder? Open that.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to glaustin

You may want to bring this over the Flash forum, where the Flash experts hang out.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to glaustin

I am I am sorry I have not been able to help. I checked into the hospital for some tests on Sunday and they have kept me here since then. Jim is correct. The flash gurus oughta be able to help you get to the final step. Just tell them what you have done so far and ask for whatever information that they can offer to get you the rest of the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven, our thoughts are with you!

Glaustin, the flash gurus may be helpful. The most frequent problem when the file works locally and not on the web is that you have not set the location of the file correctly - this often requires redoing the settings in flash. Occassionally there is a server setting that requires fixing.

You do have the flv uploaded to the web and in the same folder as the swf?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to glaustin

Did you try the simple conversion to swf via AVS Video Convertor?

I have used it many times to create files from TVCs  I shot when they are required on POS tills displays( point of sales).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to glaustin

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts. It turns out that I am fine, but when you get that many syptoms that point to a possible heart attack you go to the hospital.

In any case, I think the problem might be that Flash produces a file named AuthortimeSharedAssets.fla in the directory where you put your project. And also puts a swf file with the name of the skin you used into the same directory. I believe that these files need to either be on the server, or to play on the PC outside the browser, you need to have them in the directory with the swf file you created.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to glaustin

Did you copy the files I suggested to the same directory on the web site as the swf file?

When you export out of Flash it tells you that you might need to go in and adjust the URL of the files after the fact.

There might be more to this, I suppose. I have only ever put Flash on my web site without a skin. I will take a harder look when I get home tonight if I can.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

When you create a swf in Flash, I think modifying the url requires redoing the swf. This is not true when you use a swf that is an flv player. This assumes that the problem is the swf not finding the flv.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 11:02 PM   in reply to glaustin

Well, the only way I can figure this out is to use Dreamweaver. I insert a swf and then when I save the file it creates a Scripts directory. As long as that is a directory under the directory where I put my html file, it works fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to glaustin

Ah. Thanks for getting back to us. That info could prove quite handy one day.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 1:34 AM   in reply to glaustin

Hi, only just saw your thread, but I have some similar info which may help in the future

I have used Dreamweaver to create a simple web site with a SWF file.  It played fine on my local PC (acting as a server), but when uploaded to my host, it didn't work.  Similarly to yourself, I found that the associated files for skin etc had to be moved 'up' a folder layer (ie not where Dreamweaver placed it) in order to make it work

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to glaustin

Hi

As you say, from a sub folder to a higher level one.  I'm not sure, but think this could vary depending on the host set up, so the final placement may be different

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points