Skip navigation
BNARobinson
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Pro XI keeps crashing

Nov 10, 2012 9:15 AM

Recently started using Acrobat XI in place of X and have found it to be extremely slow and unstable.  I'm getting a lot of lag time in basic page scrolling (in documents that were fine in X).  What's more, it has crashed three times on me today; and, as far as I can tell, no crash report is generated.  I'm not getting the usual message telling me it's crashed with an option to submit a report to Adobe--it just "blinks out".

Any thoughts / suggestions much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to BNARobinson

Moved to the Acrobat forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to BNARobinson

First try Help > Repair Acrobat Installation and see how that goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to BNARobinson

Could you please turn off the Protected Mode (Edit->Preferences->Security(Enhanced)), re-launch the application and then try? I just want you to try this workaround because AXI is more stable and efficient. Also, is there any anti-virus protecting AXI to work properly?

Please post back the results.

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to BNARobinson

Thank you for trying those steps. I didn't know if it was on Mac.

Okay, so when it crashes (in your presence) it should give you an option to get more details. There it shows the crash log. Would you be able to save that to text file and attach that here.

BTW, how did you remove AX from your Mac? Did you simply drag it to trash?

Is there any specific workflow that you follow or it just happens whenever it wants?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to BNARobinson

hmmm... If it quits silently (simply vanishes from the screen), that can be a licensing issue. Though, I'm not very sure; that's just a wild thought comes to mind. I doubt if you still have some corrupted/unused files of the previous version. Please let me know how many versions of Acrobat do you see under Applications-> Utilities-> Adobe Installers. We possibly need to remove the product from this location and then re-install it.

Also, launch Adobe Application Manager and check it's version?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to BNARobinson

The behavior that you explained doesn't look like the initial issue. If its an issue with the licensing it won't happen only when you open a PDF.

Can open Acrobat without any crash? If the answer is yes, we might have to look into another direction.

Kindly let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to BNARobinson

So, it stays there for 2-3 minutes and then simply disappears? Is that correct?

With licensing I meant - Acrobat might not be able to read the licensing files on your machine.

Please try these steps and check if it resolves the issue:

1. Go to Applications->Utilities->Adobe installers
    2. Do you see Acrobat X Pro? If Yes, please double click on it and remove the older version. (remove Prefs as well).

1. Type Adobe Application Manager in Spotlight -> Lauch it
    2. Click on Adobe Application Manager -> About Adobe...
    3. Does it show Version 7?

Please let me know the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to BNARobinson

This issue requires further troubleshooting that we can't do on this thread. I have sent you a private message to work with our technical support team.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points