Nov 10, 2012 11:27 AM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

Pt 2.Still002.jpgI'm baffled by this Export Frame button in CS6. I am working an HDV project, non-square pixels, 1440x1080. When I Export Frame, it creates a picture 1440x1080, but with square pixels. There is no dialog to enter the preferred size, aspect ratio, etc. Is there a way to reconfigure that button?

When I bring this exported jpg into Premiere, it displays correctly as widescreen, but displays as square pixels in Photoshop, Paint, Windows, and other photo viewers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

That's normal.  You have to tell the 'viewing' software to expand the image to it's normal aspect ratio.  Photoshop has this option, I don't know if the other programs do.

There's no way to change this behavior in PP, you'd have to open the image in Photoshop and correct it there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Nov 12, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I don't know about that. I just exported a TIFF and it is definitely square pixels - even in Photoshop. How is Premiere supposed to work? Since there's no way to customize the 'Export' button action, I assume it should export a frame identical in every way to the clip displayed on the timeline. If the footage is non-square, then the exported file should be non-square as well. And it seems to work that way when I import the file back into Premiere. But Premiere interprets it as non-square, but everything else says square.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I assume it should export a frame identical in every way to the clip displayed on the timeline.

Nope, it exports it with the specs of the media.

As you noticed, PAR is just an interpretation.  PP and Photoshop can reinterpret that from 1.0 to the needed 1.33.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Nov 12, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Okay, so trying to take another approach, I created an action in PS to open a file and resize it from 1440x1080 to 1280x720 and put it in another folder. When I ran the batch action, it resized to 960x720 instead, maintaining the original aspect ratio. I don't understand. How do you actually change picture dimensions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

What I would do is open a new file in Photoshop from the Film and Video list, Selecting HDV 1080p. This will create a 1440x1080 document with the correct PAR.

Now copy and paste your distorted export file into this.  It will still be distorted.

Now use Edit > Transform > Distort and drag the image sides to fill the frame.  Save this and you should be OK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

How do you actually change picture dimensions?

In Photoshop, under View>Pixel Aspect Ratio...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I think you are trying too hard. To convert 1440x1080 to full HD 1920x1080 in Photoshop, go to "Image > Image Size". Make sure to UNcheck the "Constrain" box at the bottom, as this is the source of problems. Then simply change the 1440 to 1920 and save. Going to 1280x720 should also work, but again need to make sure Constrain is OFF, or that will override your desires and maintain the current anamorphic aspect ratio when resizing.

Don't think about aspect ratios and preview modes and all that, just do the manual frame size conversion and the math prevails.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Nov 12, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

I'm trying hard to not be a pain in the neck, but without success I suppose. Lol!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Hi Alex,

No worries. I wasn't born with this knowledge, have made a lot of mistakes and learned along the way through trial and error and through great forums like this one! Glad to have this community of minds all together here

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Community Help

The Export Stil option is the simplest solution, but, we recommend selecting TIFF as the format for the still. We tried PNG and that caused the still colors to be different from the original clip. A TIFF still matched perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to TheSailingChannel.TV

That's not normal.  PNG is lossless, meaning identical to the original.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Nov 17, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

So, is that button configurable? The 'Export Media' Cntrl-M only does not do single stills

@SAFEHARBOR11 I did uncheck the 'constrain' and it works okay for individual photos, but not when I batch convert or with the image processor. I'm sure I'm missing something.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

Alex,

I think Jeff provided the answer you need, but if you still have questions, perhaps I can help by pointing out a couple of simple solutions. Maybe one of them will be what you are looking for.

If you want to create a Photoshop action to take 1440X1080 rectangular pixels to 1280X720 square pixels, it is easy enough. Just record an action where you unconstrain the ratio and change the size of the image to 1280X720. You can use that action in a batch automation to resize an entire folder. I just tried it and it worked perfectly. If you need additional assistance with this step, I could create a quick tutorial showing it step by step. Or, you could drop by the Photoshop forums and ask about how to create an action that does what you want to do.

Or,

The camera button in Premiere Pro does not appear to be configurable. You have to choose the format you want, and the image will be exported at the frame size of the sequence. Therefore, if you want to export automagically at 1280X720 all you have to do is drag your sequence into a 1280X720 sequence, apply Scale to Frame Size to the original sequence, and export 1280X720 to your heart's content.

The Photoshop action provides more choices for the resampling of the image, but if the second method is good enough for you, great!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to TheSailingChannel.TV

That's why we went with the default of PNG, but when we added the png still frame to the orginal clip, visually, there was a definate color shift. That didn't happen with TIFF. There's a lot going on in these programs. Maybe it was "us", maybe "it". But I can't waste time over proving what should be, I just move on to selecting what works.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex DeJesus
    496 posts
    Jul 25, 2008
    Nov 19, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I will read up or get on the Photoshop forum. I read how it's supposed to work, but something going wrong with batch processing.

Thanks for the timely help

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to TheSailingChannel.TV

I can't waste time over proving what should be, I just move on to selecting what works.

Can't argue with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 3:09 AM   in reply to Community Help

thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status