Skip navigation
BenPC4
Currently Being Moderated

Create blu-ray menu for concert from scratch

Nov 10, 2012 5:23 PM

Hi all,

I downloaded the Premiere Elements 11 trial yesterday and am evaluating it for purchase.

My first project is a blu-ray of a concert.  I am on Windows 7 64bit.

Project settings are:

AVCHD 720p square pixel

1280x720

29.97fps

30fps drop-frame timecode

I want to create a simple menu for blu-ray (ie an HD menu) that has a still background and simple text buttons.  The top menu would just have "play concert" and "track selection" text only buttons.  The "track selection" button would lead to a page with all the track names as buttons that link to the scene markers for each track.  That's it.

I only see pre-installed templates and none of them have the "HD" designation in the top right hand corner.  How do I go about achieving the menu that I want?

Thanks, Ben

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to BenPC4

Go to http://Muvipix.com and type "Text only template" in the product search box.

Then unzip the file and install it in its own folder in the directory where your disc templates are stored. On Windows 7, these files are located in C: PROGRAM FILES/ADOBE/ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 11/DVD TEMPLATES/COMMON.

If you place the files in their own separate folder there, the template will be available the next time you restart the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to BenPC4

Along with Steve's suggestions, one can customize the existing PrE Menu Sets, just relying on the "background" Menu Set structure, and adding Still Images, plus doing limited customization to the Text, etc.

To create PrE Menu Sets (like those on Muvipix), one needs two things:

Photoshop (Photoshop Elements has one limitation - it cannot create Layer Sets, unless that has been added to PSE, as of version 11), and then knowledge of what goes into a PrE Menu Set. Because much of the authoring functions in PrE are semi-automatic, the Menu Sets are very involved. Though I create Menus for Adobe Encore, from scratch in Photoshop, I still need one of the Library PrE Menu Sets handy, to get all of those semi-automatic conventions in front of me - lot of stuff required there.

If you cannot customize an existing PrE Menu Set, or find similar at Muvipix, then we can offer some links, that will be helpful, but I strongly recommend that one spend a day, doing a study of the Library Menu Sets, and still having one handy, for the specifics, required. It also helps, if one understands the naming and structural conventions of DVD Menus, and then especially PrE Menu Sets.

Good luck, and let us know if you can find what you need, or something close, that you can customize.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to BenPC4

Good luck, and remember the "customization" route for many/most Library Menu Sets.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to BenPC4

You will not see a thumbnail representing the disc menu (unless you create one, as I show you how to do in my book). But if the templates are listed, you can use them.

There is no such thing as a 1280x720 menu. You should be able to use DVD menu templates as BluRay templates -- they just won't look as clear as true hi-def menus. Although if you replace the background image with a hi-def image that text-only template should look as good as a hi-def menu.

You can of course create a hi-def 1920x1080 menu yourself in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, but it's a very complicated process that involves precise use of layers and layer names (again, as I show you in my book). But, if you understand layer structure in Photoshop, you may be able to swap in elements (a background image for instance) and create your own from an existing template.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

You can of course create a hi-def 1920x1080 menu yourself in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

Steve,

For my education, has Photoshop Elements added the capability to create Layer Sets (required for Buttons), in PSE 11? That was once a limitation of PSE, as it could edit, or Duplicate, but could not create those Button Layer Sets - only Photoshop (PSE's "big-brother") could, and that was a major difference between those two programs, when creating Menus from scratch.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to BenPC4

No. As Bill indicated, Photoshop Elements technically does not edit layer sets. Although, depending on your computer, it often can anyway.

I've never been able to edit layer sets in Photoshop Elements for a high-definition menu template. You'll need the pro version of Photoshop for that.

But if these are text-only, why do you need to open the scene layer sets anyway? You can change the font, color and placement of text right in Premiere Elements. You can also swap in any background in Premiere Elements. Why bother with Photoshop Elements if you can make all of the necessary changes to a text-only template right in Premiere Elements?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to BenPC4

No. But, as I said, although you can't see thumbnails of the templates, as long as you've added them to the right directory on your computer, you should still see blank thumbnails named "Text Only" or whatever the template is called and you should still be able to use them.

If you can't, it's because you haven't got them in the right folder on your hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to BenPC4

I am a bit confused, so bear with me here.

Can you see the full compliment of your DVD Menu Sets?

If so, then those are installed properly.

If one were to create new Menu Sets, even if based on existing Menu Sets, they would need to also create the PNG Images, that are viewed as thumbnails in the Library Panel.

Have you created, or modified Menu Sets in PSE?

If you have, and cannot see them, it is because there is no set of PNG's. If you use Windows Explorer, or similar, to look at the PrE DVD Templates, you will see that there is a PNG for each Menu (Main, or Scene Selection) in every folder. Those are the thumbnails, and must be in the folder with the real Menu Sets, to see them in that Library Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to BenPC4

I'm sorry, Ben. I have no idea why the template does not work.

EDIT:

I note that you put the Text Only folder inside the Common directory. Try creating a category directory (Call it "Text" for instance) in the Common directory and put the Text Only folder in it.

I just did it and the Text Only template shows up just great in version 11. You can even see thumbnail previews of the template in the Movie Menus workspace!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Ben,

Just having the PSD files (the actual Menus) in a folder, will not display thumbnails. One also needs the PNG files, which ARE the thumbnails. Go to one of the folders from the Library, and you will see what is required. The PNG's need to be created from the PSD's, and their names must follow the same naming convention, as with the PSD's, that they represent. The Image Size of the PNG's, is important too, so create them at the same exact Image Size, as those in the Library.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is a look at the folder for one of the Menu Sets:

PrE_Menus_01.png

Here is a look at the two Scene Selection files, the PSD, that is the Menu and the PNG, that is the thumbnail, open in Photoshop, with the Image Size dialog for the thumbnail PNG open:

PrE_Menus_02.png

Without the corresponding PNG, PrE cannot display a thumbnail of the Menu.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to BenPC4

Ben,

I am sorry, but am completely lost. I do not understand why you are renaming existing PNG thumbnail Images.

Somehow, I thought that you were creating Menu Sets for PrE to use for DVD's, but must have missed something important.

Good luck, and wish that I could help more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I'm sorry, Ben. I have no idea why the template does not work.

EDIT:

I note that you put the Text Only folder inside the Common directory. Try creating a category directory (Call it "Text" for instance) in the Common directory and put the Text Only folder in it.

I just did it and the Text Only template shows up just great in version 11. You can even see thumbnail previews of the template in the Movie Menus workspace!

You've given me a gift!  Thank you very much.  I too wanted some very plain menus for a family history project. 

It works when I did it as you suggested:

screen shot.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to whsprague

Excellent news!!! Happy  moviemaking!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

........ Happy  moviemaking!

I'm in hog heaven with a new "muscle" laptop that has an i7, SSD, Blu-Ray burner, Nvidia, PrE11, PSE11 and Lightroom 4.  I used to have to get my hands wet and turn out the lights to make pictures!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

Many of us did the same. Our fingernails were stained with hypo, and our wives wondered why we dedicated an entire room for our film. Same with film. Back then, we edited with but two Transitions, and could not even view them, until the lad did the work-prints. So very much has changed, and for the better.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to BenPC4

Great news! Thank you for reporting your success.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to BenPC4

Hey, you just made Adobe's Quarter!

Over the last couple of days, I have seen some great deals (mostly from Amazon), on the bundle, but had not seen Lightroom 4 there - but have seen it being offered at a good price at the Adobe Store.

Now seems to be the time to purchase.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to BenPC4

BenPC4 wrote:

I was so pleased I got carried away and purchased the Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements double pack AND Lightroom 4!

I did that a few weeks ago and got a new computer to go with it.  Now, all I have to do is figure it all out!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to whsprague

"Ding - ding - ding," and another "Adobe Angel" gets their wings.

Yes, now IS the time to pick up some deals on a few Adobe products. I saw that Amazon was selling the bundle of PSE & PrE, at less than I paid for PrE 11, which should be here, when I get back in town. Such is life.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points