Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Waiting on server problem

Nov 11, 2012 2:39 AM

I have an intermittent problem with FTP on CS6 that is widely reported on the Internet. When I try to upload files CS6 hangs with a "waiting on server ..." message.  How do I fix this bug?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to TheBowler

Have you installed the 12.0.1 update, which fixed some FTP problems?

https://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/07/dreamweaver-cs6-update-12- 0-1.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to TheBowler

In addition to David's suggestion, it only takes a few seconds to ping your server to be sure it's not a third party issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 11, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to Ken Binney

To add to both David & Ken, I'd also recommend that you check your remote server settings. Has it worked properly before without hanging on you? If so, check your hosting server by pinging. If it hasn't, maybe one of the remote server definition is incorrect/ malfunctioning?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to TheBowler

TheBowler wrote:

How do I fix this bug?

By using dedicated FTP program like FileZilla Client.  Even updating your DW with all the patches, FTP has never worked for some people and nobody at Adobe has managed to resolve this thus far.  You get all sorts of advice here to try this and try that but there is no real solution for this problem on some machines.  I work on windows systems and I haven't had this problem but I have read on many forums that DW's FTP program doesn't work and is slower than dedicated programs.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to TheBowler

Similarly, I should not have to exit Dreamweaver and use a third party FTP program to achieve what I paid Adobe for.

I agree.  DW's FTP has never failed me yet in more than 10 years of use.  When I have problems like OP describes, my first step is to check the host/server to see if there is a problem with the FTP server. Failing that, I switch to passive FTP and try again. By this point, I am usually all set.

To debug tricky FTP connections, Adobe has set up an FTP test server. You can read about this here -

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-ftp-issues-dreamwea ver-cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to TheBowler

Try reading through that article I posted and see if anything in there helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 13, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to TheBowler

Just a thought - do you have multiple network connections active - i.e. - Wi-fi & Ethernet?

It may be possible for FTP connections to fail/ showcase latency in this case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 13, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to TheBowler

What are the settings for the Remote server in your site definition?

Can you try changing Transfer mode to Passive?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to TheBowler

I also had this problem. I somehow fixed it. That was years ago and now it is back.

This happens to me when I buy, or otherwise use, a new router.

Unfortunately I don't think I ever could pinpoint what fixed it as I think I did like 10 things all at once and it worked...

I love the people that suggest passive FTP... This isn't some simple fix... This is a Dreamweaver problem that only Dreamweaver users have to deal with. If I use any other FTP program it works flawlessly. DW's FTP program is a joke. A sad joke. It hasn't been updated in I don't know how long. No concurrent file transfering? Really? When will DW have the basic functions everyone else added years ago?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to V_RocKs

V_RocKs wrote:

DW's FTP program is a joke. A sad joke. It hasn't been updated in I don't know how long. No concurrent file transfering? Really? When will DW have the basic functions everyone else added years ago?

Which version of Dreamweaver are you using? The FTP client was given a major overhaul in CS6. It's now capable of handling concurrent transfers (three files at a time). You can also download at the same time as uploading.

If you still have problems with Dreamweaver's FTP, please file a bug report through the form at http://adobe.ly/DWBug. Please make sure you include reproducible steps for the problem. Just saying the FTP program is a joke isn't enough. It certainly was bad in the past, and it still has some issues that need ironing out, but unless they can be consistently reproduced, it's difficult for the engineers to solve them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Nov 26, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to David_Powers

+1 David on that.

One thing I feel that is primarily lacking in DW's FTP client is the ability to queue files - if a batch action is in progress to upload files, more files cannot be initiated for upload. But this is something that should be fixed in the next major release - David?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to TheBowler

My developement group and I have been using Adobe/Macromedia products professionally since '99. This bug has existed for a long time, 5.5 and earlier. When this bug truly bites you, you get "Operation timed out. Cancelling..." and the machine locks up, requiring ctrl+alt+delete to force quit this steaming pile. There's no reason for this. This bug, and this bug alone, and the time sync that Dreamweaver has become to our organization is the reason my boss will never OK a procurment request to upgrade anything Adobe makes. They'll never fix this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to R8th

Add one more to the list of folks still having the issue.  I have three servers and cannot connect to the one with the nonstandard port.  It works but fails when it gets to the PWD command in the log.  Freeware FTP programs have no problem connecting and running PWD.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Feb 25, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to seippg

seippg, Do you mean the a non-21 port as non-standard? If so, maybe the Connection type is not FTP, should be SFTP? Have you tried that?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2014 9:35 AM   in reply to TheBowler

same thing has been happening to me for the better part of a year.  when uploading sometimes everything is fine.  but most times i get 'waiting for server' and it won't upload & times out.  if i hit cancel & then upload again it works, but i have to do this constantly.

cyberduck & netbeans on the same system do not have any problems at all.

in site settings > servers i have my ftp set and have tried all the different checkboxes under 'more options' and nothing seems to fix it.  same thing with ftp, sftp, what have you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2014 5:25 AM   in reply to tyrell corp.

sent this to adobe via the bug report form.  they got back to me and asked me to try the following, which seems to have worked!  give it a shot.

1. Go to Site category in preferences dialog.
    2. Increase the FTP time out time from 30 sec to higher value. Let us say 180 sec.
    3. Hit apply and close.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2014 10:50 AM   in reply to tyrell corp.

Questions:

Are any of you using FIOS?

Are you using an Actiontec router MI424WR?

If so what revision?

I noticed this problem after upgrading from my Verizon FIOS Actiontec router Revision D.

Revision G and I both are having this problem.

Is anyone else using FIOS and/or an Actiontec router?

Have you tried using Filezilla? If so did it have this same problem?

I have tried filezilla and the problem happens there too: http://prntscr.com/30h1c7

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points