Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export to DVD - image statters

Nov 11, 2012 2:54 AM

Tags: #premiere #export #encore #dvd

Hi,

I have been working on a project, a series of video tutorials created in Camtasia Studio, and am trying to export them to DVD. I've prepared everything in Premiere Pro and exported to Encore for final output. It plays just fine in Premiere and Encore, but when exported to DVD, the image statters (if that's the right word).

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

What were the fields/interlacing at each step of your conversions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Traditional tv material is "interlaced" meaning each frame of material is composed of two overlapping fields from slightly different times. If you reverse the fields (the one intended to be first is second), the image may appear jumpy.

I do not know if that is the problem. Look at the properties of your original capture; is it "progressive" (no fields) or upper or lower fields.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Camtasia captures the computer screen, so will not be interlaced. But please tell us the capture settings of Camtasia, meaning frame size and frame rate, for instance 1024x768 at 15fps? Then also what is the Sequence setting used in Premiere.

Please note that computer screens do not translate well to DVD due to limitations of the NTSC video spec - text that was sharp and clear on the computer will turn to mush on the TV unfortunately, due to lower resolution and compression being applied.

My first tutorial was converted to DVD and looked terrible! The next version using Camtasia was burned to disc as DATA to be played back on a PC and looked perfect. In Camtasia, they have a menu maker software that creates an "interface" screen for the user with chapters and such. I exported to .wmv files from Camtasia and used those to create the final content. Results were so good, and yet so small, that we quit making discs and deliver the product via download now and it looks perfect, a 4-hour tutorial using only about 600mb.

So you need to ask yourself, is DVD the best medium to deliver what I am trying to share?

You can certainly use Camtasia to do the actual captures (as .avi, not .camrec files), then edit the results in Premiere, and export the edited results back to Camtasia to use their menu maker.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

You can change the framerate. The "other" Jeff (Bellune) has a  number of posts re Camtasia, but I don't recall if any of those relate to DVD as the delivery option.

My earlier points were to make sure we knew if you were doing something to create an interlacing issue.

I now wonder how much is related to taking the 15fps to the DVD spec of 29.97.

You need to post your Premeire sequence settings as Jeff asks; that is likely to be one major issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hi Marek,

Without viewing the same DVD you are seeing, hard for us to realize the problem you see. I'd say it is good that you used a standard "video size" of 720p on the computer since that translates directly to widescreen DVD, rather than using an odd PC screen size.

Is the text shimmering or flickering? Is motion jerky? How would you describe the issue?

Also, since the source is progressive, the DVD should also be progressive rather than interlaced, so please verify that. We will wait to see what your Premiere project settings are then

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Marek,

As an addition to Stanley's comment above, see this article, for some tips from Jeff Bellune, on editing Camtasia footage: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2324919#2324919

Also, when you Burn to Disc, what brand of blank media are you using, and at which burn speed? Both can affect the "smoothness" of the play of the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Thanks for posting these. I think Jeff was probably looking for your sequence settings in Premiere. I had forgotten how little is now in the "project setting."

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Select sequence and then Sequence -> Sequence Settings.

I'm assuming you are CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Please keep in mind that you recorded your source material at 15 frames per second, so even though the DVD is 29.97 fps, any motion in the video will still have the jerky 15 fps look to it. Any chance this is what you are referring to?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

CamtasiaFrameRate.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status